Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 5, 2005, 9:17 PM   #1201

I just bought a "factory refurbished" Pixma IP5000 from Fry's for $79.99 last Thursday. I followed the step by step instructions on the cjb site and easily unlocked the cdr printing function. Trust me, it'll work.

I printed the cdr tray templates available on this forum using the IP5000 and regular paper, and the output was clear and crisp.

Then I made two trays, andtried to print using the canon CD-Labelprint software. Unfortunately my trays don't work, and I am not sure if my tray dimensions are correct because the printer spits it back out. I cut everything out using the templates, which I overlayed to the finished product, and it matches. BTW, the reflectors I used were cut out from the foilantistatic packagethat the new printhead came in.Maybe that's the problem.

So right now I askedto buy a real tray from TedK, who's also offering to try to purchase them from the UK, or if he can't get it then I'd like to buy one from you if the cost is cheaper than ebay.

baon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 9:34 PM   #1202

Cool...im buying a a few trays here and maybe the roller assembly just in case.i can actually get the original ip4000 cd that has the software on it as a buddy in Oz has the printer..so the software will come right off the cd, no worries there...

thanks

coolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 9:41 PM   #1203

Baon, i would glady hook u up with a cd tray but i wont be comin back to canada until Dec 1..I am thinkin bout bringing back a few to hook up others with but not sur eyet.
Old Sep 5, 2005, 9:49 PM   #1204

baon wrote:
Quote:
Then I made two trays, andtried to print using the canon CD-Labelprint software. Unfortunately my trays don't work, and I am not sure if my tray dimensions are correct because the printer spits it back out. I cut everything out using the templates, which I overlayed to the finished product, and it matches. BTW, the reflectors I used were cut out from the foilantistatic packagethat the new printhead came in.Maybe that's the problem.
White works fine, paper works great, foil isn't required. I have used white oil spray paint and i've used card stock printed from the template where the background was printed black and the white was simply not printed upon. I wasn't trying to create a posterboard tray but rather a diagnostic tray. Paper white worked just fine.

The printer will reject the tray if the middle alignment mark on the front isn't in the right spot, or if it can't see it.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2005, 10:23 PM   #1205

One last question, i know u did explain about the rollers assembly part, but im slightly confused..it would help if i had seen the printer or the parts in real life im sure. But if i have the roller assembly does it attach directly to the printer? Are there any instructions about that anywhere?
Old Sep 6, 2005, 1:17 AM   #1206

Stupid site see following post.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 1:18 AM   #1207

coolio wrote:
Quote:
One last question, i know u did explain about the rollers assembly part, but im slightly confused..it would help if i had seen the printer or the parts in real life im sure. But if i have the roller assembly does it attach directly to the printer? Are there any instructions about that anywhere?

coolio wrote:
Quote:
There are not really instructions for that as none of us have bothered to write anything. The rollers are not really required and they are more rare than the trays.

http://pixma.cjb.net/
http://pixma-faq.cjb.net/

If you'll look here

http://users.cjb.net/pixma-faq/2.html

Or at this mosaic
[img]attachment.php?id=33054[/img]
[img]attachment.php?id=33055[/img]Note: refinement of this mosaic is required, it should show a large door that is hinged on the bottom that reviels a slot for the CD tray.

You'll notice three square holes, one center, two side. This is the location of the clips, this is where the roller assembly is held in place. No tool is required for removal though a screwdriver as a lever is helpful.
-borrowed from nightcrawler's 5 easy steps-
http://s120101154.onlinehome.us/pixm.../images/sd.jpg

The whole roller assembly is the "inner door" on the canon pixma printer. The rollers are part of a piece of plastic that are about 125mm or so wide that fits inside the door. The inner cover, aka roller assembly, aka the CD Door is the same as the NO-CD door. Door replacement would require tools and printer disassembly. But popping off the rollers off the CD door and putting them on the NO-CD door does the trick.

[img]attachment.php?id=5242[/img]
Canon CD tray in printer racerx2oo3
Old Sep 6, 2005, 3:08 AM   #1208

Hi Coolio. So it seems you're studying abroad in Australia? That's pretty smart...enjoy summer in Canada thenhave more summer fun in Australia :-)When does summer start in Australia btw? b/c I've heard Christmas there is a scorcher.

Anyways,I didn't use the UKcanon software b/c it was 5megs greater than the US version since it contains a bunch of stuff for all the other European countries.

The US software works fine and recognizes the cd tray after installing the registry patch. Don't worry aboutbuying the cd tray forme then, I can't wait till Dec 1. Thanks.

Bill from the OC
Old Sep 6, 2005, 3:41 AM   #1209

Hi Zakezuke. Thanks for your insights. So the printer not only looks for the reflective markers, but it also looks for the little nub in the center above the cd/dvd depression? What about those two larger nubs flanking the two reflectors medially?

I'm going to make one more tray and will be more careful this time to measure everything.

The first tray I made was from three plastic sheets glued together with Gorilla glue. (Cut from the template by digiguy). Total time 1+ hours and drying 5hours.

The second one I made froma cereal box. Total time =15min + 1hour drying.

Is the template from digiguy accurate?
Old Sep 6, 2005, 4:33 AM   #1210

baon wrote:
Quote:
Hi Zakezuke. Thanks for your insights. So the printer not only looks for the reflective markers, but it also looks for the little nub in the center above the cd/dvd depression? What about those two larger nubs flanking the two reflectors medially?

I'm going to make one more tray and will be more careful this time to measure everything.

The first tray I made was from three plastic sheets glued together with Gorilla glue. (Cut from the template by digiguy). Total time 1+ hours and drying 5hours.

The second one I made froma cereal box. Total time =15min + 1hour drying.

Is the template from digiguy accurate?
This one? superclo's diagram but using measurements of someone else's scanned tray. Digiguys on the other hand I have tested personaly and it works.

I'm not sure the rules on the nub in the center. I know it's typicaly covered by a CD so it's not needed when you make a tray. I believe it's shown if you have a small disc or a business card sized disc. It can be ignored for 120mm disc printing unless you want the option for no disc in tray.

When the reflectors are away from you... you have one left two right. The one 2nd to the right is the one that it looks for when it's doing the in and out motion.

I should actually write this down and put it on my site.
[3] [2] [1]

1. Tray goes in, does a side to side sweep. Detects either no disc or small disc adapter looking for the reflector fore of the center lug.
2. After side to side sweep.... the head looks for reflector two, if it finds it it does an in and out motion to align the tray fore and aft. If this failes then tray is rejected.
3. Side to side head scan, looking at what I presume are the reflectors [3] and [1] to align the head left and right.

This can be observed by depressing the small black button located tward the right rear of the printer when the lid is open. The button is small and directly under the two trianglular pieces of plastic located on the top lid aft right. Can miss it as it's the only thing on the lid that can depress a button when closed.