Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 9, 2005, 1:46 PM   #1251

Yep, looks like the same template I used (from digiguy I think?). So my guess is, it isn't the tray(s). Did you set the printer to a non-USA language and all that jazz? Make the registry mod? ...

CPingN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 2:17 PM   #1252

I followed the instructions at pixma.cjb.net and applied the registrymod for the IP5000. I don't recall reading anywhere about setting the printer to non-USA language.

This printer is a factory-refurbished version I bought at Fry's. I printed my templates from this printer and everything comes out perfect. During the disc printing I held the cover open and observed the red led's shining down on the tray also.

So maybe it's the printer. I'll go buy a newIP4000 from Office Depot if they have any left and see it my tray works in there.

I appreciate you checking out my trays CpingN
baon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 3:39 PM   #1253

baon wrote:
Quote:
I followed the instructions at pixma.cjb.net and applied the registrymod for the IP5000. I don't recall reading anywhere about setting the printer to non-USA language.

This printer is a factory-refurbished version I bought at Fry's. I printed my templates from this printer and everything comes out perfect. During the disc printing I held the cover open and observed the red led's shining down on the tray also.

So maybe it's the printer. I'll go buy a newIP4000 from Office Depot if they have any left and see it my tray works in there.

I appreciate you checking out my trays CpingN
Setting the printer to the "non-USA" language is a bad description. I know what they are talking about... "setting the printer's destination" which in the case of the iP-x000 series typicaly is something like "Americas with CD printing" or the mp7x0 where you pick the country... hince why CpingN said "language". Looks like the new iP-x200 also has a country list like the mp7x0 series.

I would reccomend taking the template that you are using, using your favorite image editor use the black paint bucket and filling everything that is not the three front reflectors or the center CD area, and glueing it to a poster board. You could use 70lb photo paper, you could use index paper, doesn't really matter but good and thick is better. Don't worry about making a tray, don't muck with cutting holes are anything you would normally do. To save your sanity just try to print onto the paper template you printed. Try to see if you are even able to print to the template tested by many of us.

Off hand, your reflectors dont' look reflecty enough... while foil works, and aluninium is the offical solution employed by canon... try white paper. White works.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 7:35 PM   #1254

I read the entire thread and I don't recall anyone mentioning it but has anyone noticed the reflectors on the bottom of the OEM tray? I'm sure Canon didn't put them there for decorative purposes. What could they be for? Please don't disassemble your tray to find out. It's not that important.
jim5554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 8:31 PM   #1255

jim5554 wrote:
Quote:
I read the entire thread and I don't recall anyone mentioning it but has anyone noticed the reflectors on the bottom of the OEM tray? I'm sure Canon didn't put them there for decorative purposes. What could they be for? Please don't disassemble your tray to find out. It's not that important.
I know for a fact that a tray with top reflectors... i.e. oil based white primer works just fine.

The offical canon reflectors are made from slabs of metal about 16mm x 16mm with one corner cut. I would assume they are larger so they could be glued to the plastic, and there are two of them
[3] [2] [1]

Reflector 1 is different, It's just a piece of reflective mirror plastic. There isn't room for another 16mm x 16mm square that is center to the reflector hole. As it's about 2mm from the edge it wouldn't be practical to make it a hole, it would make for a weak point.

They likely used aluminium because most things white will yellow over time. Also I have some experence with the Epson tray which pretty much uses white reflectors but they tend to rub off. White paint on an epson tray for the canon after trimmed is ideal as the proper location is in the valley which doesn't get exposed to wear and tear even after 400 or use uses.

The reason why they are exposed at the bottom is likely because it would take too much bother to cover them up.
Old Sep 9, 2005, 9:46 PM   #1256

Thanks Zakezuke! It worked! I taped the template onto my tray and blacked out the area near the reflectors.

The sensors are very picky and the reflector cutouts must be very precise. Mine were not very precise and were 0.5mm larger than the template because of continually trying to fix it.

Andcoolio, I still would like to buy the tray and rollers from youatyour very generous pricing. I'm going to use it for another canon pixma, be it the new ones if they're convertable, or the previous generation if I can buy one before they run out.

Thanks Zakezuke:idea:,Coolio, and CpingN,you guys make this a great forum.

baon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 1:48 PM   #1257

NEW TEMPLATE FOR CARDBOARD TRAY

My old templateis being replaced with a new, more precise one.The old onewas based on a scan of the real tray and when compared to the real tray the reflectors and disc are not exactly where they should be.

I spent a couple of hours measuring the real tray and creating this new template. It is as close to the real one as possible.

You can downloadthe new template here:

http://cdtray.cjb.net

digiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 3:19 PM   #1258

Hello all,

I have read through this massive thread twice and surfed the pages at http://pixma-faq.cjb.net/

However, I can not find a step by step set of instructions for installing the replacement roller assembly. I am considering this modification to my ip4000, but would really like to judge for myself how involved the replacement would be.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

TIA,
Tim

BrewMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2005, 5:40 PM   #1259

BrewMeister wrote:
Quote:
Hello all,

I have read through this massive thread twice and surfed the pages at http://pixma-faq.cjb.net/

However, I can not find a step by step set of instructions for installing the replacement roller assembly. I am considering this modification to my ip4000, but would really like to judge for myself how involved the replacement would be.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

TIA,
Tim
There is no documentation available on the subject. Not yet. I plan to write something eventually. The thing of it is... it's so simple.

1. Open inner Cover 1, remove blocking plastic... there are a couple of pictures a couple of pages back, it's clipped in three places, center and sides, a good flathead screwdriver does very well.
2. Repeat the same process for the roller assemply. The whole assembly from what we've read is the door, where the doors are identical. Why replace inner cover 1 when you can just replace the rollers.
3. Take rollers and the plastic housing with the black rollers pointed down and clip into place.

So, perhaps tripple the amount of time it takes to remove a piece of plastic blocking the CD-R path.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 7:05 PM   #1260
wmh

I have two cannon printers, an i860 and an i6000D. I would like to know if they can be modified to print cds/dvds and if there are trays to be purchased for these printers. Help!

WMH
wmh is offline   Reply With Quote