Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 13, 2005, 5:09 AM   #1281

baon wrote:
Quote:
Hi Digiguy. I tried the new template and it didn't work. I then put it over the old template and saw that the reflector hole on the left side wasmoved 1mm to the right with respect to the two reflectors on the right side staying the same.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"How does the new template overlay with the real tray?
Baon, I found a mistake in the template - it was .5 mm too wide which probably throwed the reflectors off a bit. I apologize for that. The cut out template is very accurate whenplaced over the real tray. To be sure, I totally reworked the template (2 hours of work). Download the new one here: http://cdtray.cjb.net.

Be sure to cut as accurately as possible. This template is the "real thing."

Note: Anyone who has downloaded the other "new" template since Saturday afternoon, Sept. 10, will probably want to get this new one. It is the final edition.

digiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 5:13 AM   #1282

nm
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2005, 3:26 PM   #1283

Thanks digiguy. I'll try it out later tonight.
baon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 6:20 PM   #1284

[align=left]I would like to try this new method. I have an ip3000 and have had success with the bypass method. First, is it necessary to get new rollers? If not, why do people buy them? Do I only need to print out the template and cut it? What about the relectors? I have downloaded the UK drivers and I have my current unaltered printer already installed. Should I install the drivers after I change the code on the printer, or do I use the .reg file listed at http://pixma.webpal.info/Pixma345/345.html
I so, how do I use it?
Thanks loads.
It is intersting seeing how this has progressed after 65 pages. I can't remember when I first posted, but it was back when no one knew how to print DVDs.
[/align]
winifreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2005, 6:48 PM   #1285

winifreid wrote:
Quote:
[align=left]I would like to try this new method. I have an ip3000 and have had success with the bypass method. First, is it necessary to get new rollers? If not, why do people buy them? Do I only need to print out the template and cut it? What about the relectors? I have downloaded the UK drivers and I have my current unaltered printer already installed. Should I install the drivers after I change the code on the printer, or do I use the .reg file listed at http://pixma.webpal.info/Pixma345/345.html
I so, how do I use it?
Thanks loads.
It is intersting seeing how this has progressed after 65 pages. I can't remember when I first posted, but it was back when no one knew how to print DVDs.
[/align]

No rollers are required. Worst case you *may* have to manualy push the tray if the lower rollers don't have enough traction. I am one of the few that had the issue on my modded epson tray, but that was in part resolved by not inserting the tray all the way. The true blue canon tray on my ip3000 requires manual pushing all the time and have ordered rollers. This is not an issue on my mp760 at all with either the epson tray or the true blue canon tray.

Digiguy made a new template. There is some debate on the reflectors. I have made fauxtrays by doing a black paint bucket on all areas except for the three reflectors. I have used white paint where others reccomend foil. I would think sticky paper printed black with white reflectors would be ideal stuck to cardboard but I lack experence with cardboard trays. I used index paper glued to posterboard, worked just dandy. Someone should write up a good tray making faq at some point.

You don't need UK drivers, only the registry edit and printer button pressing. This is covered in the faqs.

http://www.pixma.cjb.net/
http://pixma-faq.cjb.net/ [need to update software links]

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 3:53 AM   #1286

65 pages of discussions! Wow, I've spent several hours reading through most of the salient points.

I have an R300 and have been printing CD covers for the past 2 months and still over 60% ink remaining. Cost per page is really not much more than Canon IP line. So what is all this fuss about the switch to Canon? It seems like the ink also smudges easier than the Epson line. CD covers look amazing

I just bought a canon IP4000 and don't know if it's worth the hassle of paying $37 USD for a tray and then another $20 or so the roller assembly which the epson R200 and R300 has out of the box.

What do you guys think about the use of the Epson system and connect it to a freely available CIS (continous ink system) ?

gamedude88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 4:33 AM   #1287

gamedude88 wrote:
Quote:
65 pages of discussions! Wow, I've spent several hours reading through most of the salient points.

I have an R300 and have been printing CD covers for the past 2 months and still over 60% ink remaining. Cost per page is really not much more than Canon IP line. So what is all this fuss about the switch to Canon? It seems like the ink also smudges easier than the Epson line. CD covers look amazing

I just bought a canon IP4000 and don't know if it's worth the hassle of paying $37 USD for a tray and then another $20 or so the roller assembly which the epson R200 and R300 has out of the box.

What do you guys think about the use of the Epson system and connect it to a freely available CIS (continous ink system) ?

Epsons:

1. clog more

2. Cost more for OEM ink

3. Need the reset chip.

Much prefer the Canon in terms of quality and print cost.

PS: The cd tray can be had for cheaper the $37, you need to shop around a bit more also the roller assembly isn't needed at all.
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 5:04 AM   #1288

gamedude88 wrote:
Quote:

You don't need the rollers. You "might" want the rollers if you are odd like me and actually have to manually push the tray.

If you own an Epson, ask for another tray from Epson. Those things malfuction often enough anyway. The plastic is easy enough to cut and the tray works well till the hub hooks fail, which they do on the epson anyway but they are not required.

I prefered the Epson r200 in terms of quality of colors and photo printing. But I can say i'm on CD #194 on my ip3000 mostly full color and i'm still printing after a deep cleaning. I didn't enjoy the same luck on the Epson, not by a long shot, and most of the CDs I did on the epson where plain black text.

Another reason I prefered the Epson was the fact that that I could use non-printable CDs and the print be legible at 16point fonts and durable after a month of drytime. The Canon ink rolls right off the disc, not an option, not by a long shot.

In terms of waterfastness, oddly enough on canon's premium paper is very good, as in I tested running a photo under a tap and noticed no discoloration. On kirkland photopaper there was minor color bleeding. Epson on Epson Glossy photopaper didn't do as well at all, even for a print well over 5 months old. I didn't try Kirkland paper for the epson, i'd have to plug it in and i've been too lazy to buy ink for it.

The main reason I prefer and use the canon is the fact that I don't have to muck with it. That r200 required several rolls of paper towels and lots of windex. It's possible I had a bad one.

CIS systems are also available on the Canon, though they are not needed as much as the Epson with the sponge free multi chamber design seems prone to messing up. Perhaps I had bad cartridges, but it seems to me that sucking ink rather than air would work better. And with a properly routed waste tube and cleaning cartridges, or refillables filled with some combo of windex and alcohol might be good.

At present it's my opinion that a tray for the canon, even spending 30ish for one, would be worth it if continued operation of CD printing is desired. While I technicaly prefered the epson in terms of photo output... my two canons are more reliable.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 11:40 AM   #1289

Now that I am going to be able to print my own, what do I do with the 200 new (unprintable) dvds that I just bought?

Has anyone found a good spray paint that works to make a printable surface? I read on another forum that a white primer worked, but that it wouldn't cover previously marked magic marker notes, which wouldn't bother me on new discs. Also didn't go into waterproof, drying time, etc.

Others have used transparent Krylon to waterproof inkjet used on regular printable discs.

After I get my new tray from Coolio, I may try a "non sanding" white primer that I have on the shelf. It is still a flat white and sanding primer might have too loose particles that could mess up the print head.
darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 12:18 PM   #1290

darth wrote:
Quote:
Now that I am going to be able to print my own, what do I do with the 200 new (unprintable) dvds that I just bought?

Take them back for an exchange or refund, or sell them on ebay. Or just keep them and buy printables anyway. I have both kinds on purpose, e.g., backup discs go on non-printable discs. I wouldn't mess around with primers and the like 'cause you just might ruin your printer.
digiguy is offline   Reply With Quote