Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 4, 2005, 12:40 PM   #121

I'm trying to attach a photo of the disc tray. Today I tried to use it again with the Canon's label printer and tried observing what happens. The head doesn't even go over to the middle to look for the mirrors, so whether you have the Canon tray or your own makes no difference at this point.

There are basically 4 reflectors. The big one is covered over when you place a disc onto the tray. There's the two reflectors. And there's the smaller fourth one way at the bottom just below the lower of those two reflectors.

The tray width is short of the 13.1mm so it does not fit snugly into the tray but is rather loose by about ~ 2mm on each side.
Attached Images

AlvinLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2005, 12:33 AM   #122
IPA

Thanks for the picture, AlvinLee. Do you think you could take another one that has a ruler along one side, so we can get the measurements close to accurate? I assume the thickness is about 2x the thickness of a cd (except where the cd goes), right?

Also, I imagine that clip in the center is to hold the disc securely, but what is that white square right above it in the middle of the tray?

(Thanks for the update, AlvinLee ).
IPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2005, 5:05 PM   #123

I just wanted to verify that AlvinLee's method works. I just tried it with Verbatim silver inkjet printable CDs. I did not get the speckling like another poster. I used the front method since the back of my printer is not easily accesible. I did find it a little difficult to push the disk under the white rollers, but it did go.
winifreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 10:17 AM   #124

Just joined the forum to respond to this thread. What a great topic.

Does anyone know if this is possible with the 6000d? I'm hoping to buy one or the other soon.

Thanks!!

:grimey
Frank Grimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 11:49 AM   #125

Have any of you using the bypass method had problems with scratching. It seems that rubbing the disk across the paper causes minor scratches.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 3:43 PM   #126

Nothing noticable as far as scratches on my disks. I'm using Canon paper, pretty good quality stuff. Might be the paper you're using.

As far as the 6000D, I would imagine it would work, looks to be pretty much the same printer from what I've seen.

To summarize what I do...
  1. Print the label in your favorite printing program on normal paper.[/*]
  2. Refeed the paper into the bottom tray (face down).[/*]
  3. Alter your settings to print Media Type: Envelope all other paper size settings the same.[/*]
  4. Change your quality to Print Quality:HIGH[/*]
  5. Print the label again.[/*]
  6. When paper starts to feed, lift the top cover IMMEDIATELY.[/*]
  7. Open the back cover a skoot your DVD/CD through the paper path until it aligns with the image.[/*]
  8. Close the back cover and top cover.[/*]
  9. Wait for the disk to appear!
[/*]
I'm using RITEKG04 Printables and the stock Canon ink is dry when it comes out.

Yuu don't need to print a "test" label each time, I've been using the same one for about 10 disks now, but you can if you want.
kirky99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 4:52 PM   #127

I wonder if I should try using glossy photo paper?
Old Jan 9, 2005, 8:15 PM   #128

Hi there
i am new here. i bought the Canon iP4000R a few weeks ago and was really wondering what was that "inner tray".. now i know. thanks you.

Was any of you able to finally print a CD/DVD using the tray or is the byPass method still the only way to do so.

also like Badtz, i am on OS X. Anybody had any luck there?

thanks so much for all the informations i found in this forum last night!

peace
arno
San Francisco
starno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 5:00 AM   #129

Hi,

I heard that is possible to change version of printer in firmware ie i865 EEPROM has code of all similar version:
i865, i860(US), pixus 860i(JAPAN). Perhaps ip4000 has the same ability. To change version you must enter service mode. 5x "resume" allows set to change version mode. Sorry but I don't know any other details.

Asam

asam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2005, 6:22 AM   #130

I also have just purchased the European version of thisprinter (with the CD/DVD printing tray), but have a problem when printing to a CD/DVD surface.

Whatever is coloured black in the label I want to print, comes out blue on the disc surface (I use Datawrite Inkjet Printable DVDs).

What am I doing wrong....do I need to adjust the settings somehow? I use the CD Label printing software that was included to print the labels.

Nigel.
theyiddo is offline   Reply With Quote