Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 15, 2005, 1:30 PM   #1291

I have to agree with KnightCrawler. I've had three Epson CD printers. You will soon find that with your Epson;

1) The CD tray is going to start giving you problems.

2) The OEMink is outrageosly expensive. You can almost buy a new printer for the cost of one set of replacement cartridges.

3) Aftermarket inks are also expensive (compared to Canon) and the difference in the quality of the printouts from aftermarket inks is noticeable. I can't tell the difference with aftermaket inks on the Canon. I can get them for $15 a set instead of $12 for each cartridge.

4) Your Epson printhead is going to clog regardless of what type of ink you use. At least with Canon, if it does clog, you can replace the printhead instead of the whole machine. The Canons are less likely to clog.

5)The Canons are more versatile and better made machines. My Pixma MP780 is a photo printer, a cd printer, a scanner, a fax and a color copier. Although it's not perfect, (The Epson does nocer photos)it does all of these things very well, is cheaper and takes up a lot less space than having separate machines for each task.

I'm not saying the Epson is a bad printer. In all fairness, it's a very good printer. It's just that the Canon is cheaper to buy, cheaper tooperate and is less likely to give you problems.
jim5554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 2:06 PM   #1292

Thank you all for answering my questions. I'll probably use up the ink in my R300 epson printer, then sell it off for cheap, enough to cover for my CD tray I"ll buy for my IP4000.

I do like the easy to use Epson PrintCD program that comes with the printer. Don't know if we can use it for a Canon printer after I do the swap. I like it as you can freely drag and expand the image of CDs downloaded from (cdcovers.cc) to eliminate the silver border on your final CD to give a true full-face print.

Anyone know if we could use the epson program for a Canon printer?
gamedude88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 2:37 PM   #1293

gamedude88 wrote:
Quote:
Thank you all for answering my questions. I'll probably use up the ink in my R300 epson printer, then sell it off for cheap, enough to cover for my CD tray I"ll buy for my IP4000.

I do like the easy to use Epson PrintCD program that comes with the printer. Don't know if we can use it for a Canon printer after I do the swap. I like it as you can freely drag and expand the image of CDs downloaded from (cdcovers.cc) to eliminate the silver border on your final CD to give a true full-face print.

"I like it as you can freely drag and expand the image of CDs downloaded from (cdcovers.cc) to eliminate the silver border on your final CD to give a true full-face print."
The canon cd software will do that also.
paiger651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 2:44 PM   #1294

gamedude88 wrote:
Quote:

I couldn't use the epson software for the canon as it printed so far off center the manual adjustment it required was far beyond what the software would allow.

You can sell off the r300 on e-bay if you like. I think it would be a better idea to continue to use the sucker till such time as the waste tank becomes full and send it to the local repair place for a referb model which comes with free ink... then sell it on e-bay. To save money consider going with a set of refillable cartridges rather than a full blown CIS. Print full color CDs to your hearts content. Take advantage of those free epson CD tray replacements and sell those on e-bay too. Broken epson tray with the clear plastic lip mucked up would make a nice canon tray.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2005, 5:21 AM   #1295

I currently have \available,,\
coolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 2:27 AM   #1296

zakezuke wrote
Quote:
Quote:
Broken epson tray with the clear plastic lip mucked up would make a nice canon tray.
I have found pictures describing the modifications you would need to do to "make a canon tray" however, I find it NOT easy to cut plastic into the exact dimensions (I mean cardboard is already quite hard).

How would we make those cutouts? Any ideas?
gamedude88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2005, 3:42 AM   #1297

gamedude88 wrote:
Quote:
zakezuke wrote
Quote:
Quote:
Broken epson tray with the clear plastic lip mucked up would make a nice canon tray.
I have found pictures describing the modifications you would need to do to "make a canon tray" however, I find it NOT easy to cut plastic into the exact dimensions (I mean cardboard is already quite hard).

How would we make those cutouts? Any ideas?
Person me as I don't attach a large image.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/a...t.php?id=26415

You don't have to be spot on. The reflectors in the right location as well as a manual adjustment can take care of small error. Up to a couple of mm or so. In fact after further examination my true blue canon tray is off by .5mm. I used a dremmel followed up by a sanding block and 60grit paper. As a guide I used a broken yard stick with clamps to measure out the edge. While yes, plastic is harder to cut, the fact that it's harder to cut forces you to use a sanding block for the final edge for a perfect fit. If I didn't have a dremmel i'd likely start with 24grit paper and sand down 2mm on each side followed by a simple miter box and hacksaw to get the front.
The way I see it, it's easier to cut or sand plastic to a straight edge than to cut a circle into cardboard.

If you have patience I imagine you can grind down each side to the right distance, 2mm IIRC. If you look at your Epson tray you'll notice that one side is bevled inwards by about 2.5mm which is more than one needs but provides a great guide. The rear doesn't need to be cut. Someone may wish to use the most recent measurements as they are likely more accurate than mine.

But in the end it's up to you. Just seems a shame to waste these free epson trays that get given out like hotcakes because they made a silly choice to use thin clear plastic at the tip that gets mucked up so easily.
Old Sep 19, 2005, 8:53 AM   #1298

I used a router with a laminate trimming bit. I clamped the tray to a straight board with 2 mm hanging. The router cut in clean and neat right to the dimension. I took 2 mm off each side that way.

I started with a dremel cutting bit, but that was too unstable. The router jig worked fine.

Bob Coy
Skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 2:39 PM   #1299

Shipping update:

Zakezuke (2nd shipment)
BMW98 (2 sent)

Reserved and Waiting for Money order from:
Brewmeister
wmh

weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2005, 7:41 PM   #1300

weapon wrote:
Quote:
Roller update!!!

3 sets of rollers are left.

I only had one issue with installing the rollers in my ip3000... it seem to not want to accept the tray when I just clipped the rollers on. My resolution was to insert the tray then insert the rollers. Problem solved. Inserting the tray is more difficult but printing is smooth.