Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 19, 2005, 9:39 PM   #1301

Installing the Rollers tutorial

Note to those who purchased rollers: Make sure you look at the placement of the rollers in the factory replacement unit before you transplant the rollers to your printer.

The roller have tabs that must be hooked into the coresponding holes on the printer. These holes pulls the rollers upward into the housing.

If you have installed the rollers and the tray will not slide tightly between the rollers and the fold out door: You have not aligned the tabs with the holes correctly. Just pop it off and try again.

***I had the same problem when I first installed them. But I had another sample to compare too.
weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 1:48 AM   #1302

I could have saved myself about 5 minutes if I had read this first but I was able to figure it out myself.

Thanks Weapon

P.S. It works fine in the MP780 also.

jim5554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 4:06 AM   #1303

jim5554 wrote:
Quote:
I could have saved myself about 5 minutes if I had read this first but I was able to figure it out myself.

Thanks Weapon

P.S. It works fine in the MP780 also.
To be expected.... this aspect hasn't been documented by anyone, and it's not like anyone has a repair manual to the pixmas. I can see now why the pixma is prefered over the epson for CD printing... the tray is in their firmly. This is clearly a superior mechanism. The only epson advantage I can think of is the fact that it *might* be possible for the CD door to double as a spiffy envelope printer though I never actually tried it.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 9:20 AM   #1304

A round cd will fit into a square cutout. So much easier to make a square hole.

Stan
stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 9:25 AM   #1305

Been following the long thread on modifying Pixma 4000's etc., but is there a link to a Mac OSX version of the CD-LabelPrint software?*I assume that beyond just having the driver (the thread seems to indicate that the US driver will work after you do the configuration) , that we need this particular software to set up the actual printing to the CD?thanks!ronka
ronka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 12:41 PM   #1306

I could not get label print to work in OSX. I would suggest Discus. Works perfect everytime.
Old Sep 20, 2005, 12:56 PM   #1307

Wow, just checked out the OSX Discus demo; looks like it works with Pixma's!....So once I do the destination setup, put in my Canon tray, and install the USA driver for Mac OSX,*I can use Discus, and the label design will line up perfectly with the CD in the Pixma?ronka
ronka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 1:54 PM   #1308

yes!

There is control for micro-adjustments in Discus because it does not always line up. You have to test it to see what adjustments you need but after that it works perfect. Well worth the $39.

The demo will print demo all over your label, you need the full version to print without the watermark.

Best software I have found for OSX, so far...
Old Sep 20, 2005, 7:31 PM   #1309

Does anyone know if the template available for "surething cd labeler" will work with the ip4200?
eric93se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 10:15 PM   #1310

New Canon DVD Tray Design! NO GLUING!

I was inspired by CanonFodder's DVD case design as well as a few others that had the center peg involved. I tried it out with a Slim Double DVD case I got for free with a purchase from SuperMediaStore.

Materials:
1. Slim Double DVD case:

you can buy them at supermediastore: http://www.supermediastore.com/black...e-10-pack.html

I am in no way plugging supermediastore, i returned the merchandise I ordered from them (but kept their free gift!)

2. X-Acto Knife and straight edge.
3. Metric ruler
4. Masking tape
6. Pencil
5. White-out

Here is my finished product:

It doesn't seem to matter that the tray is not long enough, all that matters is the length on the top.

Here's how I made it:

1. Cut off the plastic liner on the outside of the case with an X-acto knife.
2. Cut directly down the spine joint with an X-acto knife, now you only have one half of the dvd case. I used the left side featured in the image above (you can tell the difference by looking at the clips and edges carefully)
3. Cut the edges off at a 45 degree angle (DON'T CUT THE RIGHT/CENTER CLIP (see 4) OFF YET), like CanonFodder says with his DVD tray design, just continue to score the edges with the x-acto knife. Don't try to cut through the first time, it'll come off eventually.
4. Cut the center clip (what you grab with youre thumbs to open the case usually) so that you still continue to have the suface underneath (your X-acto should be paralell with the case itself), this image may help, note that I've already trimmed my case to 131mm at this point:

5. Cut off the smaller inside clips on the top and bottom the same way.

Use digiguy's template for the trimming process.

6. Now take a metric ruler, measure from the top down 17mm (you may want to double check that). Trim the top 17mm of the case.

7.Measure from the left 131mm, cut off the excess part of the tray from the right side (the side where the center clip was).

8. Using the template as a guide measure out all the squares onto the tray, mark where the squares should be with a pencil.

9. Take some masking tape and tape around the squares. You're actually using masking tape to mask the surrounding area.

10. Once you're fully masked, white-out the exposed squares.

11. Let the white out dry (you can wave it around after around a minute) and then pull off the masking tape.

12. (optional) I beveled down the inserting edge so it would go into the rollers a little smoother.

13. I haven't done this yet but it may be a good idea to sand down the center peg (that holds the dvd) so that its flush with the disk. I haven't run into any problems, but sanding may cause less problems in the future. It also may ruin the clipping mechanism that holds the disk in place

NOTE: You will notice that the disk is slightly off center. It is actually exactly 1mm (at least for me) to the left of the template,

I may make some step by step photographed directions if this seems to be a popular tray building meathod.
Dan Keezer is offline   Reply With Quote