Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Sep 21, 2005, 1:02 AM   #1311

a step by step procedure would be great

also, i tried searching this thread, and couldn't find anything on the older i860 printers, is there any way to modify those to accept a cd tray?
slimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 3:40 AM   #1312

Coolio, thanks for the tray and your email confirmations! Can't wait for the tray!

Dan Keezer's new design is quite possibly the most aesthetic to date....and so simple...let's give this one a try.......

FYI- the new IP 4200 printer has gone the way of the Epson.....it uses the Canon BCI-8 cartridge which HAS A CHIP. So hold on to your IP3000 or IP4000 printers...they are now worth a bit more in terms of ease of re-filling and use for CD printing.
gamedude88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 7:02 AM   #1313

coolio
coolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2005, 7:14 AM   #1314

Ok there are now 4 trays and 2 rollers
Old Sep 21, 2005, 6:11 PM   #1315

not sure if there will be any more of trays or rollers after these ones..

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"coolio
Old Sep 22, 2005, 12:40 AM   #1316

Just thought I'd update everyone, the slim dvd case seems to be too good to be true. It worked perfectly for a few days and now i'm having some alignment issues followed by the tray getting jammed in the printer... It seems the center peg clip has trouble holding onto the disk after a while and the disk now has a tendency to come off of the tray inside the printer. Unfortunately the printer doens't recognize the the disk has been freed so it continues with its alightment process and the disk ends up being pushed into the plasic piece the blocker piece was originally fixed to.

this is probably why the real design doesn't use a clip mechanism. ahh well, would have been pretty amazing if it held up.
Dan Keezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2005, 1:02 AM   #1317

Update..some good news everyone..

coolio
Old Sep 22, 2005, 2:00 AM   #1318

Dan Keezer wrote:
Quote:
Just thought I'd update everyone, the slim dvd case seems to be too good to be true. It worked perfectly for a few days and now i'm having some alignment issues followed by the tray getting jammed in the printer... It seems the center peg clip has trouble holding onto the disk after a while and the disk now has a tendency to come off of the tray inside the printer. Unfortunately the printer doens't recognize the the disk has been freed so it continues with its alightment process and the disk ends up being pushed into the plasic piece the blocker piece was originally fixed to.

this is probably why the real design doesn't use a clip mechanism. ahh well, would have been pretty amazing if it held up.
Yes, the only point that the printer even looks for the disc is when accept the tray, and even then I believe it looks for the reflector just fore of the hub. This is something typicaly absent on most designs as it's not required except perhaps for mini-cd detection and or hockey rink/business card detection. I'm not sure which.

The real design does use a clip, just not of the of the same style. It looks like those dvd cases are nice in the fact that downward pressure releases the clips and allows disc removal, where canon and epson use two edge clips that just clip and unclip via force.

Perhaps you can adapt a slim jewel case to your application. Those typicaly employ tripple clips on a hub that does not release the disc when downward pressure is applied. You'll have to make both the hub and the disc ring more shallow but this can be done with sand paper i'd imagine. Width wise I measure this jewel mini as being 131.5mm wide. Height 124mm. A long box I measure at being 132mm to 134mm. So one could in theory

1. Sand down the sides of a slim jewel to a width of 131mm
2. Sand down the hub and plastic sides to a depth of 2.54mm or flush with an inserted cd
3. cut a long box circular providing a about a 122mm circle or so. Glue flat long box plastic to mini jewel base One may wish to cut away the outside square edge of the mini jewel to make this easier.
4. Cut long box material for the fore and aft so the piece remains flat on the bottom. One can go hog wild a repeat this for the aft piece so the tray remains the same basic length as a factory one 239mm. A long box is only 190mm.

Either this or... use a hole saw on your long box tray and replace the center hub with that from a mini-jewel shaved to the proper specifications.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2005, 7:30 AM   #1319

I've been following this thread for quite a while, and finally decided to buy a Pixma, so I just bought a iP4200. First, the firmware mod. works as described (it sets the printer destination type to Australia). Second, and perhaps more importantly, the roller mechanism seems to be integral with this printer. (I'll post pictures when I have a chance). So all that's needed is a tray.

I tried making a cardboard one, just to see if it would work; it fed in without problems (and without nudging) but it looks like my reflectors aren't set well enough. I've got a real tray coming, and that'll take care of that.
Dave S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2005, 9:48 AM   #1320

Dave S. wrote:
Quote:
I've been following this thread for quite a while, and finally decided to buy a Pixma, so I just bought a iP4200. First, the firmware mod. works as described (it sets the printer destination type to Australia). Second, and perhaps more importantly, the roller mechanism seems to be integral with this printer. (I'll post pictures when I have a chance). So all that's needed is a tray.

I tried making a cardboard one, just to see if it would work; it fed in without problems (and without nudging) but it looks like my reflectors aren't set well enough. I've got a real tray coming, and that'll take care of that.
I am in the market for a iP4200. Have you thought of refilling tanks?

Thanks

Stan
stnkline is offline   Reply With Quote