Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 28, 2005, 4:27 PM   #1461

safsurfer wrote:
Quote:
Hi- I'm new to this, but was waiting to buy an EU version of the ip5000 from expansys.com but now find they are discontinued. I have been following this forum on all the tray building and modifying work that everyone has been doing and was waiting for an exact solution before I dove in and made a purchase. Well, now I find the tray B can be purchased on ebay, search pixma cd, so I bought one, $35. So, now I would like to know if anyone knows if Canon is going to offer a USA model that can print cd/dvd? and Does anyone know which model is the best to make compatible with the tray B? I'm looking at the ip6000d because the inks are the same as a printer I currently own. I know the ip4000 and ip5000 have been discussed the most, but will the ip6000d act the same way and modify the same way? thanks for any help you can give.
I don't know about any future Canon plans to offer CD label printing in the US. The tray you have works with the iP6000D and also with the new 6620, which may be a better choice, since it already has the rollers built in. The official tray for the new models is tray C, not B, but someone who bought a tray B from me reported that it works fine with his 5200. See http://pixma.webpal.info for instructions and more info.

By the way, does anyone know if Canon is still selling the tray in the US? Several people reported ordering them directly from the Canon service department, so I stopped ordering the parts overseas, and I suppose others did the same thing, because now nobody is selling them on eBay anymore. I still have a couple of mini CD / business card size adapters left if anyone needs one.
jonbgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 6:30 PM   #1462

Well-- after converting my i960 to a i965 successfully I've come to the frustrating fact that the CD tray and tray assembly for this printer cannot be had in the US-- on eBay or anywhere else for that matter.¬*¬*I'm just not prepared to pay the overseas shipping¬* charges which would bring the costs into the realm of a complete new printer!Jonbgood, I'm wondering if you have any ideas for me.¬* Or anyone out there have these parts and don't need them???I do need both parts for this printer, right?¬* I can't just shove a 4200 tray in there, can I-- even if I could find one.¬* Oh well....
Scotious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 7:49 PM   #1463

Scotious wrote:
Quote:
Well-- after converting my i960 to a i965 successfully I've come to the frustrating fact that the CD tray and tray assembly for this printer cannot be had in the US-- on eBay or anywhere else for that matter.¬*¬*I'm just not prepared to pay the overseas shipping¬* charges which would bring the costs into the realm of a complete new printer!Jonbgood, I'm wondering if you have any ideas for me.¬* Or anyone out there have these parts and don't need them???I do need both parts for this printer, right?¬* I can't just shove a 4200 tray in there, can I-- even if I could find one.¬* Oh well....
You're right, it's not worthwhile ordering a single part overseas, so just do what I and several others did: order a dozen or two and sell the ones you don't need on eBay. You will make enough money to cover the cost of your own parts and the shipping, and maybe even make a small profit.
jonbgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 8:27 PM   #1464

Ok, so I tried ordering from the US parts center... no go.

How do I go about odering from the UK, or wherever everyone is ordering from? My company has an office in the UK, so I may just have someone in that office place the order for me.
Rumplestiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 8:35 PM   #1465

Rumple-- if you can get me these for the i965 I would be eternally grateful-- and I'd pay, too-- promise!¬* My email is in my profile.¬* ¬*TRAY GUIDE UNIT PN: QM2-0626-000CDR TRAY ASS PN: QL2-0348-000 ¬* ¬*(I cannot figure out why my carriage returns never work in this forum...)
Old Dec 28, 2005, 9:03 PM   #1466

Rumplestiltskin wrote:
Quote:
Ok, so I tried ordering from the US parts center... no go.

How do I go about odering from the UK, or wherever everyone is ordering from? My company has an office in the UK, so I may just have someone in that office place the order for me.
http://www.canon.co.uk/contact_us/lo...ir_centres.asp

From my understanding you can talk to the people at the number listed here in the UK, or talk to any one of the service centres. I've heard tales of them requiring a local cheque or some such, so I can't give you the exact details, you gotta do some legwork or find someone in the UK willing.

I'm sure there was another number I listed in the past, but this page should the ticket you need.

FYI... this forum isn't for anything forsale related. From my understanding of the rules... you can ask where to buy something {i.e. oh yea I saw those on e-bay}, but can not for example say you have something for sale {I.e. dude get me one i'll pay you}. That's one of the few rules around here that is enforced. This is mostly to Rumplestiltskin.so don't be offended.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 5:10 AM   #1467

"We only ask that you do not post any wanted, for sale or commercial type advertisements."Gotcha, Zake.¬* Sorry if i offended.¬* How this is different than"help me find good noise reduction software" or "which long lens should I get" I'm not quite sure.¬* If a long thread resulted in my being able to help someone get¬* something only available in my country I would only be too glad to help.¬* This is my current "technical" issue, and I can't even place an overseas call from my phone.Anyway-- that's why I directed folks to my private email address.¬*¬*(I'm sorry for the terrible formatting.¬* For some reasin my carriage returns don't work.¬* I hit return five times after the previous sentence)
Old Dec 29, 2005, 7:31 AM   #1468

Scotious wrote:
Quote:
"We only ask that you do not post any wanted, for sale or commercial type advertisements."Gotcha, Zake. Sorry if i offended. How this is different than"help me find good noise reduction software" or "which long lens should I get" I'm not quite sure. If a long thread resulted in my being able to help someone get something only available in my country I would only be too glad to help. This is my current "technical" issue, and I can't even place an overseas call from my phone.Anyway-- that's why I directed folks to my private email address.(I'm sorry for the terrible formatting. For some reasin my carriage returns don't work. I hit return five times after the previous sentence)
I'm not offended... Keep in mind i'm not a moderator... but moderators stressed the point a while ago.... that this is not a forsale forum. I only said something because they went though much bother and effort clearing out this thread of forsale posts.

The difference, in my mind not the mind of the site owners is this.... it is simply not a forsale forum... but rather a forum to discuss cameras, photography, and printers. One can for example ask where to buy something... that's within the scope... but one can not them selves sell something, that's beyond the scope. While I agree the spirit of the idea of someone like you self trying to get hard to find parts you need and others need, if that was allowed it would open the door to other forms of cottage industry advertising... which basicly this thread became for a time.

Others have made the choice to sell these items on e-bay... and that seems to work just fine, and it is a market place.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 7:30 PM   #1469

Well, I made my tray using the template. After much fuss with blacking out the surrounding areas (I mean a LOT), I have it working. Had to adjust the Left/Top position and inner/outer circle sizes in the label software, but it works fine. Now I'm very happy with the 50pk of printable DVD+Rs I got for $15.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 8:19 PM   #1470

zakezuke wrote:
Quote:
Oddly enough, I was having issues with v1.1 inputing japanese text... it refused to do it at all. Which I can understand for older pre unicode applications but this is canon.... people who you'd expect to support japanese. Anyone know if 1.3 resolves this?

I don't see v1.3 for Windows... only for the Mac.