Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 3, 2006, 3:43 PM   #1471

I just received my ip5000 today and within 15 minutes of opening the box I was printing CD's. All thanks to this forum and knightcrawlers website. I fabricated a tray by using a piece of fiberglass signboard and routed it to accept a CD/DVD. I painted it black and applied 3 squares of "shiny" aluminum tape in the appropriate areas and it worked like a charm. I had previously been using an Epson R200 to print CD's with and will be glad to get rid of that thing. I also have a Canon i960. To my eyes the photo quality of the ip5000 is as good as the i960
mowermanEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 6:47 PM   #1472

..."Ok, so I tried ordering from the US parts center... no go."...

DITTO!

PIcked up an ip4200 today. Couldn't pass it up on sale along with a $30 rebate. Got home and called the parts number since I'm not much of an expert at fabricating materials. Gave them the info and immediately got "thats a part for the European version. We don't have that here".

Guess that window of opportunity to get from Canon has been shut
jrourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 9:20 AM   #1473

Yes, I'll confirm that you'll not be able to get any parts from Canon USA. I tried too and was told I'd have to order from a Canon service center overseas. I guess they're on to us. That's why I made my own.
mowermanEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 6:58 PM   #1474

I've made a cardboard one that works fine, but I'd like something a little more durable... and precise.

So I'm working with a shop to fabricate them out of ABS or styrene. I've forwarded a drawing and will attempt to source the materials this week. Hopefully I can make them cheap enough to sell them on eBay at a very reasonable price, rather than the $40+ I'm seeing now. The plastic is fairly cheap, but the CNC work is going to cost a few $$$.
Rumplestiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:17 AM   #1475

I'm helping my nephew make a tray using "5 Easy Steps" and for some reason it just doesn't quite work. I have a factory tray that came with my UK ip5000 to copy off of. When we stuck the tray in the printer it shuffled in and out like it's supposed to except for the final stage where it shoves it way out and pulls it back in to begin printing. It shoves it out but doesn't pull it back in. Now I'm only going by what my UK printer and factory tray acts like when printing, but do the homemade trays shuffle in and out a little different? We used foil for the reflectors, could that be our problem? What happens is on the last stage where it's supposed to pull the tray back in and it doesn't we get an error saying something like there's no disc in tray. Any ideas?

I sure think a tray made out of plastic would sure work better.
mccoady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:18 AM   #1476

I'm helping my nephew make a tray using "5 Easy Steps" and for some reason it just doesn't quite work. I have a factory tray that came with my UK ip5000 to copy off of. When we stuck the tray in the printer it shuffled in and out like it's supposed to except for the final stage where it shoves it way out and pulls it back in to begin printing. It shoves it out but doesn't pull it back in. Now I'm only going by what my UK printer and factory tray acts like when printing, but do the homemade trays shuffle in and out a little different? We used foil for the reflectors, could that be our problem? What happens is on the last stage where it's supposed to pull the tray back in and it doesn't we get an error saying something like there's no disc in tray. Any ideas?

Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:18 AM   #1477

Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:19 AM   #1478

Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:19 AM   #1479

Sorry it wasn't posting right.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:19 AM   #1480

One thing I noticed when making my homemades (before getting a real tray) was that the reflector on the right side - when putting the tray into the printer - had to be on the surface and not recessed like the other two reflectors. I fussed with that quite a bit until I got it to work. It was confirmed when I got a real tray - the reflector was on the tray surface. And yes, the homemades cycle in and out just like the real Canon tray - no difference.

Both my homemades were made out of plastic. The first was made with a thin CD/DVD case and the second with plastic sheet. If you have a hobby shop nearby, see if they have Evergreen plastic sheets. I used 0.030 and 0.040 sheets. Cut the DVD and reflector holes in the 0.040, sprayed it black with Krylon, attached the two recessed reflectors (aluminum foil) behind the holes and glued the two sheets together with liquid styrene cement (MEK works good). Mounted the third reflector on the surface. Also used a sanded down center post from a DVD tray glued in the center of the DVD hole to keep the disk from shifting even slightly when printing. Make sure this center post doesn't stick up above a DVD placed in the tray - might snag the print head. This tray worked fine for me, but I bought a real Canon tray anyways when I had a chance.

Hope these tips help.

Steve W.
on30trainman is offline   Reply With Quote