Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 11, 2006, 2:09 PM   #1481
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 52
Default

Well I guess my nephew got frustrated and ordered one off of Ebay.
mccoady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 5:22 PM   #1482
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 85
Default

on30trainman wrote:
Quote:
One thing I noticed when making my homemades (before getting a real tray) was that the reflector on the right side - when putting the tray into the printer - had to be on the surface and not recessed like the other two reflectors. I fussed with that quite a bit until I got it to work. It was confirmed when I got a real tray - the reflector was on the tray surface. And yes, the homemades cycle in and out just like the real Canon tray - no difference.

Both my homemades were made out of plastic. The first was made with a thin CD/DVD case and the second with plastic sheet. If you have a hobby shop nearby, see if they have Evergreen plastic sheets. I used 0.030 and 0.040 sheets. Cut the DVD and reflector holes in the 0.040, sprayed it black with Krylon, attached the two recessed reflectors (aluminum foil) behind the holes and glued the two sheets together with liquid styrene cement (MEK works good). Mounted the third reflector on the surface. Also used a sanded down center post from a DVD tray glued in the center of the DVD hole to keep the disk from shifting even slightly when printing. Make sure this center post doesn't stick up above a DVD placed in the tray - might snag the print head. This tray worked fine for me, but I bought a real Canon tray anyways when I had a chance.

Hope these tips help.

Steve W.

Actually none of my homemade trays had the third reflector on the surface and they worked just fine. I believe the only rreason it is on the surface is because it passes directly under the righthand roller (if you have the rollers.) And I too got genuine trays when I could at their actual prices of about $8 for both rollers and tray.

Wish I was getting a commission for all these trays. What a marketing monster I have created :shock:
CanonFodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 5:47 PM   #1483
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 52
Default

Could someone tell me the advantage of buying the rollers for the US printers or if there really is any?
mccoady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 8:43 PM   #1484
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 8
Default

Mccoady,

It sounds like you need to paint the upper half, all the way down to the CD/DVD cutout, black. That made it work with mine.

I'm hoping to start making them out of plastic in the next week or two.

Also, the rollers make the process a little smoother. Models that don't have the rollers require you to shove the tray in when it's ready to start printing.
Rumplestiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 9:03 PM   #1485
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 735
Default

mccoady wrote:
Quote:
Could someone tell me the advantage of buying the rollers for the US printers or if there really is any?
The rollers push down on the tray and make a firm connection with the lower rollers that do the work. Most users have no issue with this, I on my ip3000 needed to push the tray in manualy but not my mp760.

Rollers are not required but do look nice.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:53 PM   #1486
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 52
Default

Since my nephew lost his patience and bought one off of Ebay (and paid alot) I guess we won't keep trying to get ours to work. I will note though that we did paint ours black but it didn't help. I'm not sure if ours wasn't quite level or if our reflectors we off a bit.

So are you saying (without the rollers) that even when you use a Canon tray that sometimes you still have to push the tray in to begin printing? I'm still trying to figure out if with a moded printer if it should be shuffling it in and out and then taking it in to print on it's own. I know with the one we made it was pulling it in and out on it's own but on the final alignment where it pushes way it out it wouldn't pull it back in to begin printing. It kind of hung there and you could hear it churning away inside the printer, then the the next thing we now we have an error screen saying we don't have a disc in the tray. Am I supposed to force the tray in at that point?

I have a real Canon tray and I forgot to take it to my nephew's when we were trying to get our homemade one to work. How is a moded printer with a Canon tray (without rollers) going to act verses my UK Canon printer with a Canon tray?
mccoady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 2:16 AM   #1487
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 85
Default

mccoady wrote:
Quote:
Since my nephew lost his patience and bought one off of Ebay (and paid alot) I guess we won't keep trying to get ours to work. I will note though that we did paint ours black but it didn't help. I'm not sure if ours wasn't quite level or if our reflectors we off a bit.

So are you saying (without the rollers) that even when you use a Canon tray that sometimes you still have to push the tray in to begin printing? I'm still trying to figure out if with a moded printer if it should be shuffling it in and out and then taking it in to print on it's own. I know with the one we made it was pulling it in and out on it's own but on the final alignment where it pushes way it out it wouldn't pull it back in to begin printing. It kind of hung there and you could hear it churning away inside the printer, then the the next thing we now we have an error screen saying we don't have a disc in the tray. Am I supposed to force the tray in at that point?

I have a real Canon tray and I forgot to take it to my nephew's when we were trying to get our homemade one to work. How is a moded printer with a Canon tray (without rollers) going to act verses my UK Canon printer with a Canon tray?
It should act the same. What I found was that without the rollers it helps to support the tray with a finger where it hangs out, this keeps the leading edge from tipping up and away from the bottom rollers. Once it is pulled in far enough that the balance point is beyond the edge of the tray door, support is not needed.

As to the pushing your homemade tray out, did you have a printable disc in the tray?And no do not force the tray in while it is trying to eject it.
CanonFodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 6:18 AM   #1488
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 8
Default

It kind of hung there and you could hear it churning away inside the printer, then the the next thing we now we have an error screen saying we don't have a disc in the tray. Am I supposed to force the tray in at that point?

I found that my biggest problem when I started trying to print was that I'd already flipped down the slot. When you start the print process, the CD/DVD slot needs to be closed. It will do some churning, prepare to print, and then tell you to lower the slot and insert the DVD tray.
Rumplestiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 12:13 PM   #1489
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 55
Default

My modified Pixma ip4000 doesn't seem to care whether the CD/DVD door cover is open or closed when I first start the printing process. It tells me to open the cover and insert the tray whether the cover is open or closed.

Rumplestiltskin wrote:
Quote:
I found that my biggest problem when I started trying to print was that I'd already flipped down the slot. When you start the print process, the CD/DVD slot needs to be closed. It will do some churning, prepare to print, and then tell you to lower the slot and insert the DVD tray.
on30trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 3:37 PM   #1490
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 52
Default

I would like to report I took my Canon tray to try on my nephew's moded printer and it worked perfectly and it didn't matter if the printer tray was open or shut for it to begin printing. The only difference I could tell in the operation of my UK printer and the moded one was maybe the tray slipped a little because of not having the rollers otherwise it worked great. I'm now a little perturbed at myself for not being able to make a working tray like so many of you did. My nephew no longer needs a tray but I would still like to have another one for my mom's printer (we also moded) so maybe I can pick one up from one of you guys that you've made.

I started posting and asking questions on this thread about a year ago and I'm so amazed at what was accomplished. At the time I didn't know if the mod would ever be solved so thanks for info I gathered on this forum I ended up buying a ip5000 from expansys and have used it for a year with absolutely no problems. The thing that blows me away is to go from a by-pass method to "5 Easy Steps" so anyone can have a working Canon printer that prints on media is just amazing! The only thing left then to do is to make a tray which most of you can do, yours excluded (LOL). Anyway I'm not sure everyone knows what all went into this (athough 75 pages plus should give you a hint) but I do, and appreciate it.
mccoady is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 AM.