Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 18, 2006, 1:46 PM   #1501

This may be old, but I wanted to make sure it got into this thread...

Canon has released their version of LabelPrint for Windows x64! Just found out that v1.10 doesn't recognize a valid printer on my machine, so maybe this will fix things up!

Enjoy!

http://software.canon-europe.com/sof...rints23263.asp

kirky99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 7:32 PM   #1502

Add me to the list of those who got this mod to work!!

I have the Canon mp780, I used an epson tray that I modifed!!
Carloscda37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:49 AM   #1503

ip6000d

photo matte board confirmed. cut boards with a circular paper cutter. then cut cd opening with a compass-type circle cutter. added sensors with an exacto knife & swatches of smooth aluminum foil. laminated theboards with a coat of rubber cement. initial attempts to print failed with 'tray not inserted' error. finally bevelled leading edge with a mat cutter. worked immediately. ran alignment in print program. works perfectly now every time. SITTM!
videoprophoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2006, 11:10 PM   #1504

Since they are 'legal' in the USA, you might be able to get a CD tray from an Epson 960 and easily modify it to work in a Canon Printer....

The EPSON 960 was about the most unreliable printer I ever had. When it worked well, it was darn good, but I spent 50 times longer fixing it than I did printing with it. The reason I bought it was because it would print direct on CDs as well as being fairly well rated for printing photos

When it finally died permanently, I ended up getting a Canon IP 5200, and so far, I'm very happy with it.... And once I found out that I could re-enable CD printing with it, I was really pleased

Rather than spending money bidding on a Canon tray at eBay, or trying to fabricate a tray from cardboard or plastic I figured that I'd try to modify my EPSON 960 CD tray.

Worked very well first try, as you can see by going to:
http://www.az123.com/E-960tray.jpg

Alignment was only off by about a milimeter on my first attempt to print a CD with this setup, even without reading the instructions ..... Heck, it took me about four or five tries to get the Epson to get that close every time I had to print a CD even with reading the instructions.

All you have to do is trim off about 10mm on each side of the Epson tray, and about 25.5mm off the top or front of the Epson CD tray.

I used the termplate provided at "five Easy Steps" to line things up, cutting out the center hole and sensor/reflector layout holes, then taped the template to the Epson tray using the CD center post on the tray to align it, then used a guillotine style paper cutter to cut off the excess material. (If you don't have a paper cutter handy, heavy duty scissors will do, but not as smooth a cut.)

As it happened, the back of the arrows printed on the Epson tray was right where I needed to cut... But I can't promise that it would be like that on others.

Then, I smoothed and rounded the edges a bit with some sandpaper, and superglued some little squares of aluminum foil to the right places for the sensor.

And that's all there is to it!

The 'back' of the Epson tray is a little longer than the template for the Canon, but that is fine; leave it as is.

The Epson 960 tray also comes with an insert to do mini-CDs, but I haven't tried that .

Click the attachment below for a photo of the tray where the cuts were made:

Attached Images

RuidosoDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2006, 11:00 PM   #1505

That 960 is expensive! The r200 or r300 would be the cheaper route to take. You can find those printers for under $100.And it's less cutting than the 960 tray.
Old Mar 12, 2006, 3:06 PM   #1506

Carloscda37 wrote:
Quote:
That 960 is expensive! The r200 or r300 would be the cheaper route to take. You can find those printers for under $100.And it's less cutting than the 960 tray.
Firstly I have to admit I was confused. You have the Epson Stylus Photo 950/960 which seems to have had cd-printing in at least some markets, and you have the Canon i960 which is a model that also had cd printing in some markets in it's i965 i995 form. If you mean the Epson 960 is spendy, you're right, but it has a smaller drop size than the newer r200/300 series. If you mean the Canon 960 is spendy, it's possible. It had the same resolution but more nozzles than the pixma ip6000 but the parts required to enable cd printing are a pain and soldering might be required.

Secondly, is the epson 960 tray more expensive than the r200/r300 tray? I know it fetches a pretty penny on e-bay, but I believe the r200 tray can be had for under $20 from epson them selves, so it's also possible that the Epson 960 tray could be had for a similar price. I don't honestly know as Epson was kind enough to give me a tray for free as they tended to fail. I'm too lazy to go and check it out. But someone took the time to document yet another tray that can be converted... and I say great.

I would also agree that in contrast the Epson r200/r300 series are typicaly cheaper by a few bucks to say the least esp when you consider the cost of an e-bay pixma tray unless you find a spiffy deal. Heck, Epson is offering referb r200s for $60 on their website with free shipping, about $17 less than the OEM ink. But the r200/r300 are photo printers which will cost a tad more to operate as a text printer than the canon series with the exception of their photo printers. Also Epson only offers one AIO the last time I checked with CD printing. Probally most important, canons are easy to refill.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2006, 1:56 AM   #1507

I didn't buy an Epson 960 just so I could use the tray in my Canon. I already had the printer, and when the Epson became permanently non-functional, I adapted the Epson tray to work in the IP5200.

And I thought it would be nice if I documented it to share with the Forum readers here.

I'm not advocating that someone go out and buy a whole new Epson printer just so they can use the tray in a Canon. I'm not quite as dumb as I look.

Since the Epsons CD printing function is 'legal' in the US, I thought that maybe it would be easier to get a replacement tray from the manufacturer, or maybe find a used one rather than bidding for a Canon tray on eBay or trying to order one from England.

If someone feels that the r200 or r300 tray is a better choice than the 960 tray, perhaps they should document how they did it, rather than merely bragging that they got it to work in their first post, and in their second post finding fault with someone else, who went to some effort to share information that might be useful to forum readers..

RuidosoDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 11:41 AM   #1508

No harm, No foul bro, not bragging at all! I had an R300 that I screwed up by putting some cheap ink in so I had a tray from that. I went and brought the mp780 becasue I wanted an AIO.

Here is the link for the r300 mod http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...316413#p316413

I congradulate all who have got this mod to work!
Old Mar 31, 2006, 4:29 PM   #1509

any new updates about this hack on a Canon MP830?
badtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2006, 10:42 PM   #1510

Anybody have a proven site for oem inks for pixmas? I have an IP4000 that i've had for about a month. Its getting low on ink, and don't want to pay the prices for actual canon ink. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!:-)
Tspoon is offline   Reply With Quote