Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 3, 2005, 12:43 PM   #161

Yeah, I have to admit that I was a bit confused by some of the earlier posts describing the bypass methods. But after visiting the Canon website and checking out how the Pixma's printover at Best Buy, I think I have a clearer picture.

Since the US Pixma's don't support the CD media tray, I'm guessing that using the bypass method in conjuntion with the registry setting to allow for CD media type (to achieve the proper printhead height) is going to be the best bet.

If I end up buying the Pixma IP5000, I may look into fabricating a polycarbonate tray to be used in the CD tray with the bypass method. This way I could radius the front edge to make slipping it under the rollers easier.

Racer X

racerx2oo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 12:22 AM   #162

BTW, anyone (U.S. only) thinking of buying a Canon Pixma printer, be sure to check the Canon website. The U.S. site has a rebate of $20 for a "1000 series" printer purchase or $70 for a printer &"PowerShot" camera purchases, made between February 1st and May 31st.

As for the "U.S.-only rebate"part, I'm thinking they're trying to make up for lost sales over the U.S. CD-tray affair. :roll: Talk about about"a dark cloudwith asilver lining" (especially with getting these by-pass methods to make it work anyway)! :-)
cdtray3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 2:17 AM   #163

No. The rebate is only limit in iP3000, iP4000, iP4000R, iP5000 and iP5000. 1000 series is not included. The rebate is between Feb. 1 to May 31.
chenchijung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2005, 11:10 AM   #164

I suspect what CDtray3000 meant was that the rebate applies to IP x000 models.
Old Feb 4, 2005, 11:37 AM   #165

So I'm sitting here at my desk, and right here on top of all the other various junk, I've got a dvd in a slim line case. So of course now I'm wondering if a slimline cd case flipped open could be used as a CD tray in a Pixma, with one of the bypass methods? I'm suspecting the cd case is a bit narrower than the Canon CD tray because the CD case is only as wide as the actual CD, whereas from this image below the CD Tray is definately a bit wider.

The big advantage of using a slimline case is that the CD/DVD is held firmly in a way that makes it nearly impossible to scratch the bottom surface of the disk.

Old Feb 5, 2005, 1:46 AM   #166

OK here is a company that is based in the USA but also sells in the UK and Australia. The product description says it prints directly to DVDs, notice the upper right hand corner of the web page its eXpansys USA just like the URL.

http://www.expansys-usa.com/product....N_PIXMA_IP4000

They are probably selling the Ausi version of something but maybe call them to order and make sure the specs are correct. :blah:

I want the MP780

Here is a place in Canada that has it and it says dirrect printing :| ...
http://www.frontierpc.com/ProductDet...ctID=950014334

Strange thing though the iP4000 and 3000 did not say anything about DVD printing.

iii WoW !!! Here is the cheapest seller of the MP780 on the web, seem to be a USA company and it says it does direct DVD printing !!!
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...101&dcaid=1688

Then I check their ip4000 and it does not say anything about DVD printing, so maybe that is the trick Canon put it on the expensive device in the USA to make more money off of us !!! :idea:

The 4000 was in the clearance section by the way.
mac_yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 3:44 AM   #167

Look here for $249.00 price on same Canon Multi Function:

http://instorespecials.staples.com/s...pagenumber%3d8

I do not believe (and this has been comfirmed by other posters) that any Canon Printers, made for sale in USA or Canada have CD/DVD direct printing capabilities. This is true even though some product descriptions from some distributors of CanonUSA models allude to CD/DVD printing capabilities. They have inadvertantly copied European product descriptions, which does not reflect the disabeling of this feature in the USA version .

Only Euorpean models have this capability, which reduce your selections down to companies like Expansys (reported to be a very good supplier) which will import & sell you a UK version with CD/DVD Direct printing..
dishinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 7:49 AM   #168

I am another happy Expansys user (UK iP3000).
Before I found them I discovered three stores in England which DO SHIP TO USA! :-D
They are:
http://canon.t4cameras.co.uk/
http://www.digitalfirst.co.uk/
http://www.askdirect.co.uk/uview?cal...Page&page=home

Also in New Zeland:
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.sto...40c0a87f9906ea

I'm sure there are more in both countries, and in Australia and other Euorpean nations as well.
If you read/writeother languages be sure to check them out as well.

BUT be sure you are calm when checking

My order to T4 Cameras took almost two months to arrive, and I had to refuse delivery as so much time had passed the order had been cancled!
The other fly in the ointment is cost.
One company was asking almost 100 british pounds ... and that was just the SHIPPING! :shock:

You get to know how to use the online curency converters, too.

But if you really want the best, and don't want it crippled, it can all be worth it.

Heck, the darn thing will last through several computers!
And to put things in perspective, how much does just a retail copy of M$ Windows XP cost today - then add in Office, and - and - and ... :angry:
arklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 6:49 PM   #169

if you can afford it, arklab is right. Buying the UK model is the way to go and expansys is the co to use. I bought a 4000 for $174 & change +5 for S&H. Had a screwup but this co bent over backwards to take care of me & quickly.

If you want to crack this & go with the cdr tray, build your tray using the photo on page 7 of this thread. Be sure to do it as best you can, & if you need conformation on any measurement let me know here. Be sure to include the 4 reflectors. 3 at the front end of the tray & one in the area where the cd-dvd goes. The last one I believe tells the sys that a disc is in the tray & to continue on with printing. The other 3 I believe are for verifying/positioning the tray.

If your to the point where you are being asked by the software to insert the tray with a disc, then do so. BUT DO NOT INSERT IT UNTIL REQUESTED TO OR IT WILL PROBABLY BE REJECTED & PUSHED OUT. Once inserted, be sure to line up the arrow on the right side of the tray with the one on the inner tray door. This positions the tray properly (roughtly ??). After doing this, you click ok to print, & the printer sucks the tray in, whirls & buzzes, moves the tray in & out short distances, & finally it disappears all the way in & the printing starts & is done in about 20 or so seconds.

If I can help anyone on this, let me know & I will do what ever I can. I also would suggest getting the CD-Label Print software from the site listed in this thread. I'm sure the Easy Print software would do the job, but to solve a problem like this you need to take out as many variables as you can. If you don't like the supplied stuff, load something you like in after you have it working. Godd luck !!
vandyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2005, 12:56 PM   #170

Thanks to all who have pursued this CD Print workaround and options since (it seems Oct. 2004). Your input has been very valuable and has saved me lots of time. I'm sure you are not giving up either from what I see.

I just purchased the Ip3000 (did not want Epson for sure) this past week mainly for CD Print possibility which has been achieved thru your efforts using DIY...... 100 lb card stock with a 24lb backer sheet. Works fine, if you remember to use 'Envelope Media' without actually letting the advisor change to envelope. The cd "pusher, lowering the inner tray, all help make it work without too much pain, just a little extra time.

With the rebate at Microcenter going on. I got an instant $20 from them and a mail rebate in for $20 is in process. $59.99 is really a bargin now, for this printer.

Perhaps this will resolve itself after 1 year like the satelite Dish which was only available by RCA for the first year a while back.

Again.......... THANK YOU ALL!!!!!
ehalepdp is offline   Reply With Quote