Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 7, 2005, 2:01 AM   #171

arklab wrote:
Quote:
I am another happy Expansys user (UK iP3000).
Did you ever get your US power supply into the printer? Also if you did where did you get the US power supply?

Can I assume the UK printer came with the CD tray?

I am on the verge of ordering an iP5000 and am just waiting to see how your experience went.

Thank you
MacBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 2:17 AM   #172

The power supply can be purchased through the canon sales department (1-800-OK-CANON). It's very easy to swap out. I swapped the power from my Hong Kong edition (IP5000)with USA power and it's working flawlessly.

Oh, I did request someone to carry it back for meand only cost $200 USD :blah:
Azzkikr1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 2:31 PM   #173

Ok, so now that it has pretty well been established that there is enough dissimilarity between the non-North American printers and the US versions thatit will be next to impossible to convert a US printer into one which will print CD/DVD'sin the same manner that the Non-US printers use, I suggest that those of us who haveUS printers use this thread to discuss anyexperiences and or tips and tweaks using one of the bypass methods to print onCD/DVD's.

I expect to by buying a IP5000 in the coming months and will be interested in what others have to say, additionally, when I recieve my unit I'll be sure to post anything I discover on this subject.

Racer X

racerx2oo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2005, 4:32 PM   #174

Hi all, i am a huge canon fan. i also have a good engineering background and like you all would love to see the pixma print on cd's in America. it pains me that the worlds leading market wouldn't be able to enjoy this great feature that the rest of the world can. i use the epson r200, not bad for printing on cd's but as an avid printer user i can tell you that there is no comparison between the r200 and any canon printer, the canon is superior hands down. :idea:from reading all the comments here it seems that the main issue is feeding the cd through the printer and having the print heads align correctly so that the end result could be flawless. fabricating the perfectcd tray does not seem to be an issue for me (off the bat) but i would probably have to destroy at least one or maybe two pixma printers to perfect a tray, also i would create a template from photo shop that would begin printing the exact dimensions of a cd once i have established all the necessary parameters. Am i being too optimistic here? who knows, but i am a problem solver and will try and solve this.........it may take me a while to purchase a printer or two but if i am successful, i will post my results immedietly..............actually, the only way for me to pass judgment here is to open, and study the mechanisms within the printer.........wish me luck........will let you know soon......................
jjay90049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 8:21 AM   #175

jjay90049 wrote:
Quote:
Hi all, i am a huge canon fan. i also have a good engineering background and like you all would love to see the pixma print on cd's in America. it pains me that the worlds leading market wouldn't be able to enjoy this great feature that the rest of the world can. i use the epson r200, not bad for printing on cd's but as an avid printer user i can tell you that there is no comparison between the r200 and any canon printer, the canon is superior hands down. :idea:from reading all the comments here it seems that the main issue is feeding the cd through the printer and having the print heads align correctly so that the end result could be flawless. fabricating the perfectcd tray does not seem to be an issue for me (off the bat) but i would probably have to destroy at least one or maybe two pixma printers to perfect a tray, also i would create a template from photo shop that would begin printing the exact dimensions of a cd once i have established all the necessary parameters. Am i being too optimistic here? who knows, but i am a problem solver and will try and solve this.........it may take me a while to purchase a printer or two but if i am successful, i will post my results immedietly..............actually, the only way for me to pass judgment here is to open, and study the mechanisms within the printer.........wish me luck........will let you know soon......................
Quote:
You can get a Canon Pixma iP3000 at NewEgg today for $42.95:
Quote:
Just want to help you along in the process!
dishinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 10:39 AM   #176

Thanks for that, do you know where i can download a version of the "direct print cd" softwarethat comes with the canon printer? (european version)
Old Feb 8, 2005, 10:52 AM   #177

http://cmtw.canon.com.tw/service/dri...ctID3=00000227
racerx2oo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 11:29 AM   #178

THIS IS WHAT CANON SAYS:

Thank you for contacting Canon product support.

Globally, Canon is comprised of many different sales divisions. Each
sales division makes their own business decisions as to the products
and
features they feel will help them achieve their goals and best suit
their market. Canon USA has made the decision not to include the
CDR/DVD
printing feature on consumer printers sold in this market.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

DON'T YOU JUST HATE HATE HATE SALES MEN !!! :evil:
mac_yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 12:59 PM   #179

jjay90049 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for that, do you know where i can download a version of the "direct print cd" softwarethat comes with the canon printer? (european version)

This is asia, but same software - in english. :-)

racerx2oo3, I missed your post.

IT WILL NOT WORK WITH A US PIXMA, HOWEVER.

I know - I've got both a UK and US iP3000 side-by-side to see if it would.

Major hardware differences, I'm afraid.

arklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 10:45 PM   #180

aint happening......too many issues, solve one and another arises, it could probably be done in a very "martha stuart" kind of way but its not good enough for me.........i cant believe that i am stuck with the epson r200, its prints well on cd's and dvd's but you can't even compare the detail to a canon when printing on paper, even the speed is an issue, printing in draft mode on the epson is slower than normal mode on the canon..............grrrrrrrrrr:angry: