Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 9, 2005, 1:54 AM   #181

Thanks to jjay90049 for the Super good buy...

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...=OTC-Fatwa11e7

I went ahead and ordered that machine and I will want to get an MP780 later when the US model supports CD printing.

I am going to reply to my support mail for Canon and let them know I spent $45 instead of $270, because I MUST have disk printing.

In the mean time I will try to use the pass through method with the ip3000.

Many companies market test products in other countries before bringing the product to the USA.

Maybe Canon is afraid they will get sued in the USA if somebody puts a disk in with critical data on it and then the printer eats it !!!

:P
mac_yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 3:41 AM   #182

Hey, why don't one of you Canon worldly guys give us a link where we can get the Canon "CD tray" from as a spare part ???

I have looked and looked I can't find anything but I am not in Europe or Japan.

Japan might just be the place to get it.

There should be a Parts company out there somewhere that supports Canon printers and carries the tray.

Why reinvent the wheel, uuuh the disk !!!
Old Feb 9, 2005, 1:59 PM   #183

mac_yoda wrote:
Quote:
Hey, why don't one of you Canon worldly guys give us a link where we can get the Canon "CD tray" from as a spare part ???

There should be a Parts company out there somewhere that supports Canon printers and carries the tray.

It takes a LOT more than just a tray to make this work right.
arklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 4:38 PM   #184

arklab wrote:
Quote:
mac_yoda wrote:
Quote:

It takes a LOT more than just a tray to make this work right.
Having the tray is a start.

If we can get the tray maybe we can get the other pieces that missing, that is if they are needed.

From looking at the canons in the store and the picts here it is pretty obvious that the Worldly and USA machines are different there are rollers on the Worldly machines, this is why I say they are product testing for the USA and afraid of lawsuits, major pieces have been left out in the USA market.

Now if we had the tray and can find a way to loosen up the plastic piece in front my guess is the tray needs to be pushed all the way back until it goes under the rollers thus lifting the white rollers in the back and the print head.

Then just choose to print an envelope and have your print doc set up so that it targets the CD. Or maybe the software would work, on a Mac you can save off print jobs as a PDF, which could then be printed as an envelope with the CD in the slot.

Although software won't go to the print dialog unless the Paper Size setting is just right.

Someone please look at the paper size setting after you have selected "CD-R Tray" and tell me what are the dimensions that show ???
Old Feb 9, 2005, 4:46 PM   #185

mac_yoda,

The reason that Canon printers do not allow you to print to CD/DVD, is that Phillips holds the US patent on the process and wither Canon is unwilling to pay the licensing fee or perhaps Phillips will not allow Canon to include this feature (possible exclusive deal with Epson???).

Racer X

racerx2oo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 4:57 PM   #186

racerx2oo3 wrote:
Quote:
mac_yoda,

The reason that Canon printers allow you to print to CD/DVD, is that Phillips holds the US patent on the process and wither Canon is unwilling to pay the licensing fee or perhaps Phillips will not allow Canon to include this feature (possible exclusive deal with Epson???).*

Racer X

WoW !!! Well, its nice to know why.

That means that if we can figure out how to do it by buying the parts from overseas companies and making a kit, owner modifications, then its legal !!!

Or Philips can sue each owner.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 5:03 PM   #187

Would someone out there in the Canon Other World please find a parts dealer that sells the CD tray.

And please also tell me what the Pager Size dimentions are are in the CD software after choosing "CD-R Tray."

Thankyou !!!
Old Feb 9, 2005, 7:29 PM   #188

The printer paper size is grayed out & reads "same as page size"

Using the cd-label print software that comes with the UK model printer sets ALL the settings automatically when you request a print.

Paper cd-r tray b

BJ Cartridge color

Media Type printable disc - recommended

Paper Source disc tray

Page Size cd-r tray b

Orientation portrait

Printer Paper Size same as page size

normal size printing
vandyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 8:32 PM   #189

On the Mac that would be the same as %100 for Scale.

Where ever you select "CD-R Tray" there maybe the dimentions next to it, on the Mac there is.

I tried making a custom page size with the above name and used the #10 Envolope size, 4.12 x 9.5", but it just said to set the size correctly first.

If I can get that size and put it in there then it may just work !!!
Old Feb 9, 2005, 8:36 PM   #190

vandyo wrote:
Quote:
The printer paper size is grayed out & reads "same as page size"

Using the cd-label print software that comes with the UK model printer sets ALL the settings automatically when you request a print.

Paper******************** cd-r tray b

BJ Cartridge********** color

Media Type*********** printable disc - recommended

Paper Source******** disc tray

Page Size************** cd-r tray b

Orientation************ portrait

Printer Paper Size* same as page size

normal size printing
Thanks !

OK look at the first item in your list, "Paper**cd-r tray b", can you go into your custom page size of the "Page Setup" dialog and see if the dimentions of the page show, that would be what I am looking for.