Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 12, 2005, 2:48 AM   #201
khz

I don't quite get this..

How are the power supplies hooked up? Internally or Externally?

If it is just a power brick, can you order a UK Printer and then request a US power supply...or is it much more complicated than that?

I am really dissapointed that canon would neuter a great peice of hardware like this, licensing fees or not.
khz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 3:03 AM   #202

iii Hey buddy !!!
mac_yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 9:19 AM   #203

khz wrote:
Quote:
How are the power supplies hooked up? Internally or Externally?

If it is just a power brick, can you order a UK Printer and then request a US power supply...or is it much more complicated than that?
I have been using a UK iP3000 I purchased from expansys-usa.
Of course, it has the UK cord and huge UK 3-prong plug ... therefore it is expecting the standard UK 220 voltage.
I had assumed I would have two options when pluging it into US 120v. These are:
1) Purchase a US/UK transformer (a box that sits somewhere between the printer and wall socket) that converts 200v to 110v (actually a range fron 110v to 120v is normal).
2) Purchase the US version of Canon's iP3000 power supply (which when swaped with the UK one fits inside the printer ... easy to do $20 from Canon USA parts)

Ether of these solutions will work and be quite robust.

3) To my supprise, Expansys threw in a "Plug converter" which allows the huge UK plug to be used in a US wall socket. I have been using this exclusively for over a week now and no problems at all. I've checked the voltage and it is still 120v feeding into the printer.

4) Since #3 works, this gives an additional option of using a regular US power cord!

Use all of the above at your own risk, of course, or check with a qualified licensed electrican if really nervious. :-)
arklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 11:08 AM   #204

Important question .. alot of people have mentioned getting the UK version of these printers from expansys. Are you ordering from the UK version of their website, i.e. expansys.com, or are you ordering from expansys-usa.com? There are no exact model numbers listed on their product descriptions so I'm wary of ordering from them at their prices and not getting what I want.

For reference sake the ip4000 from expansys-usa.com with shipping is $195.95. The same printer from the UK version of their website shipping to the United States is 136.91 GBP which converst to around $255.43. So you can see why I'm a bit apprehensive, especially considering both websites will ship to the United States.
lebaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 2:46 PM   #205

You order from from expansys-usa.com,they ship the UK Canons. They must have raised their shipping some because it did cost around $175 plus $5 shipping for the ip4000 but still a great deal for the printer since it works so well printing on dvds. I bought a ip5000 for $255 shipped from expansys and worth every penny. For your information here are the SKU#'s for US vs UK Canon printers so you know for sure what you're getting when you order:

US Canon's: ip3000 (9316A001)
ip4000 (9317A001)
ip5000 (9615A001)

UK Canons: ip3000 (9316A011AA)
ip4000 (9317A011AA)
ip5000 (9615A011AA)

You can clearly see that when you order from expansys-usa.com you are getting the UK model.
mccoady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 7:06 PM   #206

Thank you VERY much for that info, I was fairly close to simply ordering an Epson and beng done with it, this solves the printer issue nicely.
lebaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2005, 10:47 PM   #207

I have made some minor changes to my previous documents that has led to huge improvements in how it all works and now it works so well it could probably be a commercial product, although I still have not printed to printable disks yet.

First of all I bought some spray glue and glued a clear sheet to the top of my previously mentioned Jig.

I glued it on directly over the top of the foam and use a razor blade knife to cut out the hole leaving a bit of a lip so the disk would press in tight.

Small scissors came in handy to trim that edge so that disks would press and snap in just right.

So I am finished with this now because it works very well, I might post again later when I finally have some printable DVDs. This last modification brings my total costs to $11, 0.70 cents for the foam sheet, $5 for the clear sheets although you might be able to use over head projector sheets and get them for less, and $5 for the spray glue.

The printer only cost me $45 with shipping so this entire project has turned out to be quite a good deal.

The Results Are As Follows:

Gluing the clear sheet to the top of the previous jig made it quite stiff and strong, also slicker so it slides in very easily.

I also changed the template document so that it now has a long straight line across the top it is located so that the page will just barely come out of the front of the printer when you stop the printing, it will stick out at the front of the printer about 1/16 of an inch. The length of the line makes it very easy and gives plenty of time to flip the lid while it is printing and allows the page to be stopped in the same place every time.

So here is the new instructions steps if you were to use this method for printing a disk.

1. Print the template document.

2. When you hear or feel it beginning to print flip the lid.

3. Insert the disk you want to print into the jig.

4. Flip down the back door on the printer and push the jig in over the top of the sheet of paper. There is no need to remove the paper just leave it where it is!

5. Push the jig in until it just barely comes out the front of the printer until the front lines up perfectly with the sheet of paper that is under it.

6. Flip the lid down and it prints.

Here is what the new jig looks like:
Attached Images

Old Feb 13, 2005, 10:56 PM   #208

This is the template document. actual size:
Attached Images

Old Feb 13, 2005, 10:59 PM   #209

And this is what it looks like after printing (Remember this disk is not designed for printing that is why the print job is soo poor.):

If you want to practice with your own setup just use an old disk that is designed NOT to be printed to and when you get done printing just wipe the ink off, with my disk it never dries even after letting it sit for hours.
Attached Images

Old Feb 14, 2005, 2:04 PM   #210
khz

Question about the power supplies.

How do you get a US power supply, and when you do how does it fit on the inside? Is that where the UK one goes, or did you someone use some trickory?
khz is offline   Reply With Quote