Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 21, 2005, 12:10 PM   #221

Well it looks like alot of people have bought the instructions. Alvin, are you trying to cash in??? Just joking. Whoever it is also sells instructions for similair methods on other printers.
winifreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 5:51 PM   #222

I just received my IP5000 from Expansys. It is the UK version....but it doesn't seem to be turning on. I have been playing with it for the last 30 minutes and the power light is just flashing orange. There is no indication that themotor or anything has turned on. When I open up the printer the print heads don't even move.

The paper selector lights are flashing....but I can't get this thing to do anything. It is the UK version and I used the UK adapter that allows me to plug it into a US socket. Any ideas?

Thanks
pagej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 7:51 PM   #223

Did you remove all the sticky tape from the printer? AFAIK the print carriage should move when it powers up but the "move to the middle" after opening is after the light goes green.

Since arklab has gone awol perhaps you could report what voltage the UK iP5000 actually has marked on it.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 7:52 AM   #224

pagej wrote:
Quote:
I just received my IP5000 from Expansys. It is the UK version....but it doesn't seem to be turning on. I have been playing with it for the last 30 minutes and the power light is just flashing orange. There is no indication that themotor or anything has turned on. When I open up the printer the print heads don't even move.

The paper selector lights are flashing....but I can't get this thing to do anything. It is the UK version and I used the UK adapter that allows me to plug it into a US socket. Any ideas?

Thanks
The flashing lights are indicating a problem (like you didn't know this already).

Take a deep breath and start over.
Unplug the printer, remove the inks, then the printhead (I suspect this may be in wrong - a lot of contacts), then check for anything in the setup you may have missed.
Remove the driver from the PC also.
Be very methodical.

Now start over and follow every single step in the instructions, begining with the tape and packing removal.

If all this fails, call Expansys for tech help.
And don't worry. If it's a bad printer they are VERY good about support and replacement.

arklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 9:26 AM   #225

Thanks guys. The only steps I have done is removed the tape and plugged it in. I haven't put the cartridges in yet...because it won't power up. And I haven't installed the drivers becauseXP won't autodetect the printer because it won't power up.

The power light just flashes orange (no green).

The power supply box is 220-240v

Thanks

Jon

pagej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 11:40 AM   #226

If the printer power supply is 220-240V and you are on 110V, you will need more than just a plug converter, you will need something that is also a 110V to 220V voltage transformer. That would be the 1st thing to check.
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 11:47 AM   #227

Paul_D wrote:
Quote:
If the printer power supply is 220-240V and you are on 110V, you will need more than just a plug converter, you will need something that is also a 110V to 220V voltage transformer. That would be the 1st thing to check.
No, you don't.

When several people have been running Expansys UK Pixmas (3000, 4000, and 5000's) with the the plug adaptor for weeks and months WITH NO PROBLEM is a subtle hint that the plug adaptor (and the 110v it passes through) WORKS.

Theory is fine until it runs into fact. :blah:

Not a flame, I just don't want someone having a problem misdirected by the uninformed. :bye:
Old Feb 23, 2005, 11:56 AM   #228

Just a note about flashing Orange lights on iP5000.

Same thing happened to me on USA version. Could not get print head carriage to initialize. Would not move to required position.

Double check by turning off, then opening front output tray, lifting top cover and also opening CD/DVD Tray, then plug in. If still no go, RMA.

By the way, Arklab or any other successful Expansys users, how is your power supply designated?

dishinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 12:10 PM   #229

pagej wrote:
Quote:
Thanks guys. The only steps I have done is removed the tape and plugged it in. I haven't put the cartridges in yet...because it won't power up. And I haven't installed the drivers becauseXP won't autodetect the printer because it won't power up.

The power light just flashes orange (no green).

The power supply box is 220-240v

Thanks

Jon

You still are not following the start-up sequence.

Try:

1) Remove the USB cable.

2) Removethe Pixmadriver from the PC.

3) Ether:

A) Unplug the 5000 and gently move the print-head carrage to the center on the printer.

OR

B) Plug the printer power cord and turn on. The print-head carrage should move into the center by itself.

4) Install the print head, as directed.

5) Install the Ink Carts (all five).

6) Turn power off, then on. You should have a steady green light after a few seconds now.

7) Reboot the PC.

#8 Install the driver. DO NOT CONNECT BOTH ENDS OF THE USB CABLE YET. JUST ONE END IS OK.

9) During the driver installation, it will try to auto-detect the pixma, and fail. NOW IT WILL ASK YOU TO ATTACH THE USB CABLE AND TURN THE PRINTER ON. Wait a few seconds and it will find the printer and finish the install.

IF AT ANY POINT WINDOWS AUTODETECTS THE PRINTER, KILL THE PROCESS AS IT WILL MESS EVERYTHING UP.

Give it a try, and reread the instructions.

I think all will work out for you.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 1:25 PM   #230

Its so easy to not follow setup instructions, or miss a step or get ahead of the actual process.

Good instructions Arklab, However I would be hesitant on manually moving the Print Head carriage. Did Canon Tech Support suggest this?

My iP5000 flashed alternating Green-Orange ("Not" solid Orange). Alternating Green/Orangerequires Canon Service. IRMA'ed mine.

I am still curious on the Power Supply question?

Does the Expansys unit ship 100/110V-50/60HZ (USA Version), or the 220/240V-50/60HZ? (European Version) Info ismolded on power supply cover. And in fact, it is the same power supply?
dishinit is offline   Reply With Quote