Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Feb 25, 2005, 6:11 PM   #241

I have a UK ip4000 on order, it's due to ship in I think five days. Once it gets here I've already decided I'm going to rip out the Euro power supply and stick a U.S. one in there. I'll take a picture of it's markings once it's out and post it here, and take a voltage measurements with it plugged into a 110V outlet for good measure.

Really though, between transformers and actually changing the power supply there is an abundance of ways to make it work. All this debate might be a bit redundant when you get right down to the actual meat of the issue.
lebaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 2:24 PM   #242

Although I'm pretty well toasted by some of this power supply FUD-mongering, I stumbled onto something that may explain what's going on.

Researching a possible Apple Imac G5 purchase, I was suprised to find that the US/Canada machines are 100v only, while the rest of the world gets universal (any voltage from 110 to 220) auto switching power supplies.

Since we DO KNOW THAT UK PRINTERS RUN FINE ON 110v (AS WELL AS 220V), THIS IS THE PROBABLE CASE.

Those who buy a UK Pixma - but are still nervous, go get a transformer, if it makes you feel beter/safer. It can't hurt, and dosen't cost too much.

Those who don't even want to buy a UK - CD direct print Pixma, but just want to mouth off, well ....
arklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 3:15 PM   #243

arklab wrote:
Quote:
Researching a possible Apple Imac G5 purchase, I was suprised to find that the US/Canada machines are 100v only, while the rest of the world gets universal (any voltage from 110 to 220) auto switching power supplies.

Since we DO KNOW THAT UK PRINTERS RUN FINE ON 110v (AS WELL AS 220V), THIS IS THE PROBABLE CASE.

Those who buy a UK Pixma - but are still nervous, go get a transformer, if it makes you feel beter/safer. It can't hurt, and dosen't cost too much.

Those who don't even want to buy a UK - CD direct print Pixma, but just want to mouth off, well ....
1. What has Apple's design choice got to do with Canon?

2. We don't know that UK printers run fine on 110V. According to pagej even Expansys are having 2nd thoughts on that with the iP5000.

3. If canon don't label the printer as dual or universal voltage, I agree - you should be nervous and get a transformer.

Keep us up to date on how your printer lasts. Mouthing off over :?
Paul_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 3:45 PM   #244

gpro wrote:
Quote:
I'm not promoting this guy but does he have the info that everyone's looking for or is this the bypass method:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...559469992&rd=1

I want to know if this works on i960.

Thanks

That guy is using MY METHOD !!!

His jig is almost the same as mine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mac_yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 3:49 PM   #245

arklab wrote:
Quote:
Although I'm pretty well toasted by some of this power supply FUD-mongering, I stumbled onto something that may explain what's going on.

Researching a possible Apple Imac G5 purchase, I was suprised to find that the US/Canada machines are 100v only, while the rest of the world gets universal (any voltage from 110 to 220) auto switching power supplies.*

Those who buy a UK Pixma - but are still nervous, go get a transformer, if it makes you feel beter/safer.** It can't hurt, and dosen't cost too much.**

Why bother with all this trouble and belly aching about Canon.

Get http://www.lightscribe.com/ instead and go back to Canon after LS creates enough competition that Philips won't charge for their patent anymore.

Lacie has LS burners for $200.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 4:08 PM   #246

Well, let's see. How about no color, only one use (printers can print all kinds of stuff, not just disks), lack and cost of media and cost of the drive. I think about does it.
winifreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 4:21 PM   #247

winifreid wrote:
Quote:
Well, let's see. How about no color, only one use (printers can print all kinds of stuff, not just disks), lack and cost of media and cost of the drive. I think about does it.
The media is CHEAP !!!
Old Mar 1, 2005, 7:16 PM   #248

Is this cheap?

http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductD...ourceID=k24679
winifreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 10:49 PM   #249

winifreid wrote:
WOW !!! It looks like its NEW...
http://www.supermediastore.com/verba...k-spindle.html

Not so cheap or easy to get yet, although the burners cost about $40 more which is not bad.
Old Mar 4, 2005, 3:26 PM   #250

Quote:
Posted: Tue Feb 22nd, 2005 02:10 am

Well it looks like alot of people have bought the instructions. Alvin, are you trying to cash in??? Just joking. Whoever it is also sells instructions for similair methods on other printers.
Absolutely not. Hey I wonder if this guy got his idea from us. I've been travelling so have missed a lot of what is going on. I find templates to be a pain to make and not that sure of a thing. Things that affect a good template. 1. if slightly too thick or caves upwards, you will get a smear. 2. aligning on the verticle turned out trickier than I thought. Tip: you need to align to the paper, not to the carriage. Because when you lift the lid as the paper is feeding, sometimes it stops at different places.

If you insist on making a template, a good quality shoe box provides the paper stock at just the right thickness.

Overall, simply slipping the CD (front bypass) onto the paper template seems to be the most convenient and consistent. If you happen to be unlucky where the rollers are aligned and bites the tail of the CD as it is almost finished, you get a very slight blur at the tail end. Simply realign your template left or right about a centimeter and that should do the trick. As for slight scratches, it never affected my DVD. But to help this issue use a quality coated paper.

Really how much inconvenience is it compared to the real CD tray the Europeans have? They still need to load the tray every time per DVD print also after the printing starts. You can easily reload the paper template without having to open the lower tray. Simply slide print side down the paper template on top of the lower tray.

AlvinLee is offline   Reply With Quote