Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Mar 7, 2005, 1:06 PM   #251

AlvinLee ...

Good to see you back, man!

Question (s) -

Quote:
Overall, simply slipping the CD (front bypass) onto the paper template seems to be the most convenient and consistent.

Could a plastic tray be utilised with the bypass method foryour bypass method?

(If so, I've come up with a cheep way to use modified Epson trays - $5.00 - that I'd be happy to pass on)
Quote:
Because when you lift the lid as the paper is feeding, sometimes it stops at different places.

I have an idea for a simple device which will greatlysimplify the process.
The lid has (toward the back on the right side) a plastic "pin" that protrudes down through hole in the upper deck. Under the deck is a switch. If this switch is pushed down the printer will print, EVEN WITH THE LID UP!

Of course, you could just poke a pencil or something through the hole, but why not take the opportunity to make something elegant and complicated???

With all bells and whistles, just find an old shutter release cable for a camera.

Find a small sheet of metal/plastic/thin wood and drill& thread a hole to take the threaded end of the shutter cable.

Fit the cable into the hole just far enough so when the cable is at rest the sliding pin does not press on the switch.

If you make the plate large enough (esp. toward the front), you should have plenty of room to put some weights on it to hold it down (coins, washers, fishing weights, etc.).

Now all you need do is open the printer lid, place your cable switcher over the hole and you will have very fine control over when printing starts and stops, all the while with a perfect view of what's happening in there!

Quote:
Really how much inconvenience is it compared to the real CD tray the Europeans have?

Actually, one hell of a lot! (Sorry, AlvinLee, but we part company on this one! :twisted:

I've been there, and tried that, and am SO GLAD is got my UK iP4000! :-D

Still, for all those who only want to print a couple of CD's every once in a while, I think you've done a great service.
arklab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 12:57 AM   #252

AlvinLee wrote:
Quote:
As for slight scratches, it never affected my DVD. But to help this issue use a quality coated paper.

On the Mac in the printer utility software that came with my ip3000 there is a preference, that is defaulted OFF, to print without scracting. There is also a silent mode, I have both of these turned on.

I finally got my printable DVDs so I will probably print one soon.
mac_yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 3:21 AM   #253

HERE IS THE REAL DEAL ON PRINTING DISKS THE HARD WAY !!!

I have now printed to three printable disks using my template.

The choice of paper type is VERY important.

"Print a top quality photo" should be chosen in the Quality-Print Mode.

"Plain paper" looks good if you are not using black text, white text would probably look best actually over all.

"Glossy Photo Paper" is the best if you have black text and for graphics but the difference is small for other colors.

If you are getting smearing it is because ink is being deposited at the edges of the template but the advantage of using a template is the ability to place the disk very exactly -- especially is you use the instructions that I provided with my template.

I will place some photos of two disks here tomorrow when my batteries are charged up. These disks have some smearing in the lower right quadrant that is where the ink went over the edge. The dimensions that I give below are the most correct I printed these disks before making the correction for the lower right quarter.

They look quite nice, sun flower, although they are not perfect I think with a little practice I will be able to develop labels that do look perfect.

The software that I am using is Disclable, Macintosh.

Disclabel provides offsets for the printed page, the best seems to be -25.5 mm x -16.5 mm.

Old Mar 8, 2005, 12:27 PM   #254

Perhaps this is not really a topic for my problem, but maybe it is.

Having an European IP4000 here, cannot seem to find some software how the print 119 mm discs full .. Canon Labelprint only allows 118 mm

I am using verbatim full surface dvds ..

Suggestions ?
knights191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2005, 7:19 PM   #255

knights191 wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps this is not really a topic for my problem, but maybe it is.

Having an European IP4000 here, cannot seem to find some software how the print 119 mm discs full .. Canon Labelprint only allows 118 mm

I am using verbatim full surface dvds ..

Suggestions ?
Disclabel might give you what you want, they have an adjustment that sets the default outer ring 2.1 mm less than maximum.

Yet my disks print to the very edge -- check the photo.

I don't think they make a Windows version, although it would not hurt to check. You did not say what kind of computer you have.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 8:14 PM   #256

Here is how my first two printed disks look. I have the ip3000 which prints photos a bit fuzzy compared to the ip4000.

I think the Demo graphics interfered with the printing a little.

The one on the left is "Plain Paper" I think it is the best but the black text is weak. If I were to print this again I would use "Plain Paper" and make the text more bold.

The one on the right is "Glossy Photo Paper", it looks good but has more smearing and the large black spots are overly saturated although the rest of it looks very good.

Both of these have smearing I believe because the positioning that I used on the print was off about 1mm the numbers that I gave in my previous post include this correction.

It occurs to me that the jig might be improved by putting a thin layer of felt on top, this would absorb any excess ink and help keep the head cleaner -- it would be best though if the felt were removable.

I am very happy with the results.
Attached Images

Old Mar 9, 2005, 11:53 AM   #257

i am using WINXP (sp2) .. so that wont work for me, Disclabel.

there is no windows versions for it ;d

tnx anyway
knights191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 10:50 PM   #258

pscanon wrote:
Quote:
Hope this helps:

I've downloaded Canon service manuals for some of their other recent models in the past, and on each, the country was a programmable option. The ip-series uses the same method. Having a cd tray or equivalent helps, but half the work is simple reprogramming.

The procedure basically involve holding down the resume button while powering up, then pressing the power button twice to put the printer into a programming mode, after which the buttona are used to step through a series of options to set the model/destination country and reset the page counter. The indicator light alternates from green to orange as you step through the options.
Did anyone have luck changing the printer with this programming mode?
leobag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2005, 6:26 PM   #259
GGW

I've been lurking here and joined up to see if I could be of assistance with the project.

First off, I'm in Canada and can confirm that in Canada the iP400 does not do CDR printing. I may have a few clues of interest on a different track though.

First, I uninstalled my driver software and reinstalled it selecting the "Europe, Africa" option at the beginning. When I look in the properties now, I have a CDR tray and CDR printing available. It also tells me that the sheet size is 131.0 by 238.7mm. I would think that this must be the size of the cd holder. Can anyone confirm this?

The next thing is that the CDR tray is there, but blocked out by a piece of plastic. It is only held there with three plastic pins, one at each end and one in the middle, that can be released. I was able to reach under the tray and release one with my finger. I pried the other two out with a letter opener. I made a piece of cardboard the size listed above, pulled the tray down and put the end of the cardboard in.

In my graphics program, I made a sheet the size above. I put some black circles on to see what would happen. I pressed print with the CDR tray selected. The printer went into motion and pulled the cardboard in a bit. It then stopped and blinked yellow six times. This indicates "close the inner cover". The inner cover is closed at this point, so I think that pulling down the tray throws some sort of switch. I can't see anything like this. If I put the CDR tray up, I can print fine with the main front cover open.

I'm thinking that there may be a switch being thrown by the cdr tray. I'm also thinking that maybe the reflectors on the Cannon CDR holder might be signaling the printer to go passed this check. Any confirmation on this?

Can someone with the CDR holder cover the reflectors with masking tape and try to print? This may be a clue. Someone may be able to figure out the switch logic. If we get this to work, then we just need accurate dimensions for the holder, location of the reflectors and I'm thinking we could make our own holders from cardboard as has been described above, use some sort of stick on reflective patch and it may be working.
GGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 4:52 PM   #260

There must be a switch activated with the CD/DVD tray. If you leave the flap down you cannot print onto normal paper. The driver tells you to basically close the tray before it can be made to continue. I think the message is something like "Printing cannot be executed because the Inner Cover is open".

Hope this helps.... I bet Canon left the switch out. :sad:
rtj70 is offline   Reply With Quote