Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 9, 2005, 6:02 AM   #261

I guess I got to this topic too late. Expansys' prices (now) seem a bit different from what others reported in this thread.

ip3000 - $200.95
ip4000 - $229.95
ip5000 - $299.95

Maybe this thread increased the demand, therefore the increase in price? Maybe they figured out they had apotential money maker on their hands? The ip4000 is now on their Top 10 Bestsellers list.

You at least got some commission, right Jass? Tell me they at least threw you some free media? :O

Looks like I'll go with the US 4000 at New Egg ($132 - $20 Rebate). Thanks for the great thread everyone.
Visualingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2005, 2:04 AM   #262

CGW> Unfortunately, as has been discovered elsewhere in this thread, using a real CD tray does not alleviate this. The current guess is that there's something changed in the printer's firmware, something which can't be changed via the programming mode that people have mentioned. This makes the printer err any time the inner cover is open. Non-US models don't have this issue. I haven't seen a non-US model myself, so it's possible that there's something in the roller piece (the piece that's in place of the black plastic piece we've all removed from our US models) which allows the error to be bypassed.

I personally would think it's the firmware though, since that would be easier to change than putting in a new hardware sensor that wasn't likely there in the original designs. There's no extra costs involved, and the same manufacturing process can be used, just flashing the chips with different images than the non-US models, which usually happens anyway, because of locale settings and such.

The only real way to solve this would be for someone to get a programmer and check out the firmware on both a US and non-US printer, and potentially just write the non-US stuff to the US chip. Unfortunately, it's equally possible that they used write-once chips for such a thing (they are cheaper, after all), so then a replacement chip would need to be located, and the next thing you know, you're tearing apart your printer and likely destroying it, unless you have good surface-mount soldering skills.

I've been working on my own makeshift CD tray, similar to the attempts noted in this thread, actually. It's probably the only way that's going to be successful.
PC Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 9:56 PM   #263

I'm very impressed by those who have come up with these workarounds! Also thanks in general for all the great reviews here. I'm leaning towards getting the ip4000r. I was considering the ip5000 as well, but I like the built in wireless networking and it sounds like the 4000 beats the 5000 a little on photos.

Anyway, here's my question. Just how well does the bypass method really work in practice? And how much of a hassle is it? I'm faced with two options. I can get it from buy.com for $174 shipped after rebate and a $10 coupon I've got. Or, I can get the UK version for $290 shipped fromexpansys. I'm debatingjust how much theCD/DVD printing is worth to me.As I write this and look at the numbers, I don't know that it's worth $115 to me. Particularly if the bypass method works pretty well once you get the hang of it, that seems to be the best option. That said though, buying the UK version to get easy to use CD/DVD printing is still something I'm considering....

Any thoughts? Of course, I could also go for the Epson, but a friend has it and it's been fairly troublesome (sucks ink, blotches on prints sometimes, etc).

Thanks for the advice!

-Brian
bkrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2005, 7:24 AM   #264

If you have read the bypass description, you will see that there are a few steps involved. I use it on a 3000 and it works great. I have never used the UK version so I don't know how easy it is. The hardest part about bypass is pushin g the disk under the rollers onto the template. I wouldn't recommend it if you plan on printing alot of disks, but for a few disks it works great.
winifreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 5:16 PM   #265

bkrodgers wrote:
Quote:
I'm faced with two options. I can get it from buy.com for $174 shipped after rebate and a $10 coupon I've got. Or, I can get the UK version for $290 shipped fromexpansys.

$174 for the ip4000? I just got mine from NewEgg.com, and after my $20 rebate, it will have cost me $122 total. Shipping was free, I believe. What sucks though is NewEgg is based in California so I had to pay sales tax. Oh well, it still beat the socks off of other online stores.

BTW, shipping was pretty fast. I ordered it Saturday night and it got here this morning (they aren't open weekends).
Visualingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2005, 8:55 PM   #266

Visualingo wrote:
Quote:
bkrodgers wrote:
Quote:
I'm faced with two options. I can get it from buy.com for $174 shipped after rebate and a $10 coupon I've got. Or, I can get the UK version for $290 shipped fromexpansys.

$174 for the ip4000? I just got mine from NewEgg.com, and after my $20 rebate, it will have cost me $122 total. Shipping was free, I believe. What sucks though is NewEgg is based in California so I had to pay sales tax. Oh well, it still beat the socks off of other online stores.

BTW, shipping was pretty fast. I ordered it Saturday night and it got here this morning (they aren't open weekends).

Nope, $174 for the ip4000R. $105 for the ip4000. A decent wireless print server will cost at least $70, plus it's nice to have it internal and guaranteed compatable.

So, it sounds like the CD trick works OK. I also couldn't tell a difference between the sample pages from the ip4000 and the ip5000, so it sounds like the ip4000 is a good choice. I still have lingering interest in the Epson R200, but those ink costs could hurt....
bkrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 6:19 PM   #267

Hey everyone,
After going through all the pages here I have decided to spend the extra $$$ and get the UK version of the ip5000 instead of the US and a " work around". I really wanted to go with a Canon printer and really needed the DVD printing option and do not mind spending an extra $50-$60. fo rthat option. I spoke with Expansys and the guy said it should all work fine and will include a voltage convertor. I am on a Mac running OSX 10.3.9 anyone else here already done this and have any tips for proper set up? Do I just install the drivers that come in the box, which I assume will be UK drivers? Will that keep the CD/DVD printing option available? Or do I need to perform some trickery? Any current insight on this would be much appreciated and I am so glad I found this web site and forum, you all seem like a good bunch. Thanks!
jaru22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2005, 7:15 PM   #268

Hi guys!

I have read every post for this topic, and really want to be able to print on DVDs. I don't have an ip5000 yet, but you like to get it from the website mentioned before. The only problem is i live in Toronto Canada, and the canadian site, when i searched says (US model). There is no EU version on the Canadian site:O:O:O. Is there anyway i can still get the EU version!?:?:?

B.T.W i am also a mac user running the new 10.3.9

I really want to be able to get a printer that is able to properly print on CDs/DVDs. What can i do!!!!

Eibbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2005, 3:55 PM   #269

I picked up the ip8500 this past weekend and had no idea it would do CD/DVD printing until I started reading some more indepth reviews on the web.

Has anyone tried the suggested methods with this model? I can't believe Canon removed this for US models...makes me want to rip my hair out! :angry:
Sinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2005, 9:20 PM   #270

Gee,long 14 pages read...
I have a MP780 in the USand I'mfrustrated to find out that the rest of the world relatively paid thesame money that i did butenjoys the convenience of easier cd/dvd printing.

Thanks alvinlee for your persistence and excellent work, also to theppl who have added their ideas to improve the bypass method.

If anyone has tried the bypass method on a MP780 and wants to share the experience, i wouldappreciate it, unfortunatelyI don't have thetime to do it.

...my two cents...
jrw2k is offline   Reply With Quote