Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Apr 30, 2005, 1:25 AM   #271

Thanks for the post. I recently bought the ip4000 and after reading the post did so far following. Changed the "CnmUI_ShipmentPlace"=dword:0000002c and "CnmFSI_CDRSWITCH"=dword:00000001 in registry for the printer.

After restarting the computer printer got disk tray as a paper source and 2 additional media types: Printable disk (others) and Printable Disk (recommended).

I didn't read the whole post, and probably it has been already mentioned before, but the CD tray of the US model has a cover which cmpletely blocks access of thecd/DVD trayto the printer. I managed to remove this blocking cover and found out that under itthere are two openings which are possibly have additional optical sensors installed on non US models. Accordong to the page 9 of this post where UK model is shown, the cover of thecd/dvd tray slot has different shape and allows the DVD tray to slip under it. When US version tray blocker ets removed CD and even slim case with cd is able to slip in the printer mechanizm but still, no way to check for missingoptical sensors.Could anybody havinf UK model to confirm the exitance of those optical sensors right after the cover of the CD slot?

Thanks

eugene3838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 1:59 AM   #272

Hello everyone. It's good to see this forum still active. I've been thinking about our bypass method and ways to improve it because of the following problems:

P1.Sometimes it is hard to align the CD to the paper template because by the time you've slid the CD 80% under the white rollers, you can't tell how well you've aligned it. And trying to move it around at that point is difficult and sometimes shifts the paper about causing further misalignment.

P2.If your unlucky with where your CD is aligned, during printing the white rollers can slightly stub theCD as it'spassing through, or bite the tail end of the CD which causes blurry printing.

P3.Self-made paper traysisnot easy to make a good one. Too thick and the printhead rubs over it, too thin and itflexesuprubbing against the print head during printing.Most paper trays are not taperedat the edge so it is hardmaking the initial push through thewhite rollers.

So after more than a month of thinking, Inow have a new and improved bypass tray.
New and improved and simpler bypass:

A. To make a simple bypass tray, simply cut a 13.1 centimeter X 21 centimeter out of a 1/2mm (about 2 paper fold thickness) thick transparency. Round off the corners to make it safer. To mark your new transparent tray, place it over the paper template and use a thin cd marker to trace a CD circle within 5 mm (1/2 cm) borders of three sides. Trace both outer circle and inner circle. Also mark a straight line at the edge of the paper. Place a 3 centimeter circular double sided tape in the middle of the CD center on the transparency. Your done!

B. Now when you print, making sure it's aligned in the middle of the inner tray. Print using envelope setting and click ignore when asked about using letter paper.Upon hearing the click of the paper loading; lift upper cover. Lower inner tray. Slide new tranparency with CD stuck onto it. Slide through inner tray (blocked bar needs to be removed), under white rollers (press with fingers on the CD as your slide under the white rollers). Align with straight line to paper edge. Close cover inner tray cover, close top cover.

C.A fewnotes. The 1/2 millimeter transparency and double sided tape is easy to find at any stationary, office supply store. The double sidedscotch tapemade it simple to make the CD stick to the transparency and not move. I only used3cm of tape in theinner ring, just in case adhesivegets left on the CD since the inner ring is not read by thehead. The transparency hugs the paper so it doesn't slide around duringprintingwhile the CD slides under the rollers. The transparency also protects the underside of the CD, which solves somebody's previous concern of scratching the underside when sliding the CD. At 21cm, the trasparencyfinished off just where the ribs of the inner tray mold ends, and flips down when lifting the inner tray.But in case you lifted the top tray a few seconds too late and the paper fed a little further, always use the line marking to the end of the paper to be 100% aligned right. The extra5mm border onnorth side is necessary because when the CD is almost finished printing and thewhite roller bites the edge of the CD, it's not enough to move it. If instead thetransparency ended as same as the CD, the white roller would bitethe entire thickness of the CD plus the thickness of the transparency and cause a blur printing towards the end.

AlvinLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 11:52 AM   #273

I've been following this thread with great interest, tinkering with the findings along the way. Of course, I'm stuck at the same point as everyone else with the inner-tray open error. The intent of this post though is to suggest a firmware update with non-US firmware. On the IP4000R, there is the BJNetwork Toolbox, which allows (when connected via USB) for updating, initializing, and copying the firmware. So, my idea is obviously that we somehow obtain a non-US firmware for at least one model of printer and flash away. I'd be more than willing to email a copy of the US firmware for the IP4000R to anyone interested. While this may not be the culprit, it could be worth exploring.

Best Wishes. . . tjd
actsci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2005, 10:09 PM   #274

I have been checking back on this thread from time to time too.

I have found that the service manual for the ip4000 was recently made available on the internet.

In the manual it shows that it is possible to set the destination code for the printer to one of the following (located on page 21 of the pdf):

[align=left]1) Japan: iP4100[/align]

[align=left]2) Other than Japan, non-support of CD-R printing (A4): iP4000[/align]

[align=left]3) Other than Japan, non-support of CD-R printing (LTR): iP4000 (LTR)[/align]

[align=left]4) Other than Japan, support of CD-R printing (A4): iP4000[/align]

[align=left]5) Other than Japan, support of CD-R printing (LTR): iP4000 (LTR)[/align]

[align=left]Is there anyonewilling to try changing the destination code and see whether that helps to the end goal?[/align]

[align=left]The manual can be found by googling for:[/align]

[align=left]iP4000 service manual.part1 and iP4000 service manual.part2[/align]

[align=left]You need both part of the rar to be able to extract the manual.[/align]
CanonFodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2005, 8:53 PM   #275

OK, I really wanted the ip4000 ip5000 instead of an Epson and I needed DVD printing capability. After reading this thread in depth, I decided to pay the exptra and get an ip4000 from Expansys($215.) they forgot to include my convertor so I have not hooked it up yet. I did see that the 220v power supply is user replaceable(very, very easy) and order a 110v from Canon today for $15. It should be very easy to replace the power supply to US voltage and print DVD's I will report next week what happens. BTW, I am on a Mac G4 DP 1Ghz running OS 10.3.9
I am going to install the UK disc that came with the unit and go from there.
jaru22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2005, 10:11 PM   #276

Hi all,

I am calling for those who is having non US Pixima models. Please, if you not mind, check if your printer is having additional light sensors activated when CD/DVD printing is initiated. These sensors should or shouldn't be located right on the age of the compartment which accepts the CD tray. The US model having the hole for CD tray blocked by a cover. Non US models having similar cover but it lives an opening for about 3-5 mm letting the CD tray to slip through. If no sensors under that cover for non US models as well it is a good chance that CD/DVD printing with home made tray (or original one) could be very well possible with just registry tricks.

Please, let us know of your findings.
Old May 4, 2005, 8:47 PM   #277

I also have the UK version of the pixma 4000 but when I called Canon they didn't have a clue where to send me to get a US power supply. Could you tell me either the phone number or web addy that I could reach the right party to get one.

Thanks, BTW I love this printer! I threw away the Epson 300, never did like it. For those who want to print cd's etc, it's worth the money. I print 3 to 4 cd's a day for my business and this unit is fast and it doesn't gobble up ink. Another nice point: the photo that I have on my lcd screen prints perfect on the cd (no color variation). Never could get the Epson to print like that.:-D
califgal55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 12:09 AM   #278

Here is a way to activate the CDR sensor on US pixima models (applies to 3000,4000 and 5000, possibly others as well)

You have to change the destination in the EEPROM of the printer first. Search the Google for the Pixima ip4000 service manual and follow the instructions to change the EEPROM setting for the destination.
This would activate the CD-R sensor. I can confirm that the CD-R sensor is present on US model and can be activated. Also, after that you must change two keys in a registry (you don't need to install non US software for this, even with US driver installed changes in registry will bring Printable disk(recommended) and Printable Disk (others)CD in the list of supported media).
So, look for these 2 keys in a registry and make them equal to these values (This corresponds toAustralia and New Zeland destination):
Change the "CnmUI_ShipmentPlace"=dword:0000002c and "CnmFSI_CDRSWITCH"=dword:00000001 in registry for the printer.

After that the test print will confirm the activation of the CDR sensor.

Now, it is a time to get a CD tray. I don't have one, so my experiment is incomplete.

I will try to get an original or make my own and will post the result.

Thanks,

Eugene

Old May 5, 2005, 8:37 AM   #279
tlg

Well I got to say I think this sux. I'm from England and have this fantastic printer, and I don't think you should be denied a feature just because you live in the US. If you want me to do any experiments on my printer to try and getyour CD printing functionsworking, I'll try and help (as long as I don't destory mine )

Som let me know

tlg
tlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 10:41 AM   #280

Thanks tlg,

I would need your help and this would not require you to run any destructive experiments on your printer.

I have a full CANON pixima service manual with parts numbers and EEPROM codes for non US and US versions(thanks to CanonFodder), but seems that only two key elements are different

In US and NON US models
  1. Hardware: Different type of the cover on the CD/DVD compartment and absence of the CD tray on US models: Non US version is having the CD compartment covered by the piece of plastic, which goes to the bottom of the CD tray base unit. In non US models this part is called "CDR tray base unit W/ CDR", US models are having it named as "Inner cover unit W/O CDR ". I am trying to determine if any major differences exists between these two parts(which are actually 2 parts assembly – base unit and cover) and looks like the cover which blocks access for the CD tray could be altered or removed. However, this cover could have something extra on NON US models which can help the CD tray to be aligned correctly during the printing operation. This needs to be confirmed.[/*]
  2. Software and EEPROM: Seems like it is not a problem after the registry changes applied for the CDR switch and new destination region are set.
[/*]
The first thing I would need will bea high resolution of the printer CD tray and the printer itself with the open CD tray base unit. Could you make a CD tray picture from 3 projections, so it would be possible to figure out the thickness of the CD tray in different areas of it? Also, to figure out if any additional alignment elements are present in the CD tray base unit age block? In US version it's just a piece of plastic. Check if this thing is helping to align the CD tray during the print operation on a CD.
Thanks,