Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 5, 2005, 3:07 PM   #281

califgal55 wrote:
Quote:
I also have the UK version of the pixma 4000 but when I called Canon they didn't have a clue where to send me to get a US power supply. Could you tell me either the phone number or web addy that I could reach the right party to get one..:-D
Dont go running around looking for US power supply. If you are in the US just to to an electronis store and get a 100to220power converter for $10-20. Tha'ts it.
skagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 3:55 PM   #282

Summary of efforts to date:
US models.
1. alvinlee bypass method works

per eugene3838
1. there are optical sensor present on the US model- just inactivated
2. removal of plastic cover - blocking CDR printing on US model.
3. reprogamming of us model with service code will enable optical sensors, and effectively allow it to print CDRs

From this it would seem physically the US vs. UK models are the same once it has been reprogrammed via service codes routine -- modification of "destination in the EEPROM"
(not mentioning the obvious power supply differences)
It would make sense from a manufacturing point of view to have a subset of the eprom (CDR printing support vs NON-CDR printing support zones) and a simple addition of the plastic piece... (and the lack of the cdr printer tray)

Can anyone confirm physcial characteristics of the CDR print tray/holder. Where is the reflective tape located in relation to the CDR to be printed? Does that tell the printer when to align itself for printing on the blank CDR?

Has anyone with a US model done the above modifications (destination code and removal of physical barrier)

It would seem the next step is the drivers.

summary:
if using US drivers modify the registry to allow CDR printing

if using UK (other than USA) drivers no modification of registry required.

How does this work for MacOS X?

Another issue:
CDR print tray
Is that available in the USA? Where? How much?
I mean expansys is a great option but 229.00 + shipping
makes the printe twice as much as the US model.

Anyone wish to elaborate on my posting feel free.
I am trying to piece the 15 page topic to see where things are. Ultimately I would love to buy the US model and an additional CDR printer tray.

No one has followed up to see if the epson printer tray would work with the addition of reflective tape.
thanks!
TVUONGPHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2005, 4:08 PM   #283

from an earlier post:

The power supply can be purchased through the canon sales department (1-800-OK-CANON). It's very easy to swap out. I swapped the power from my Hong Kong edition (IP5000) with USA power and it's working flawlessly.
TVUONGPHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 1:06 PM   #284

Hi Eugene,

Can you actually post the URL for the service manual. I can't find it in google (without extensive search).

Thanks,

DDT
tang614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 3:25 PM   #285

eugene3838 wrote:
Quote:
Here is a way to activate the CDR sensor on US pixima models (applies to 3000,4000 and 5000, possibly others as well)

You have to change the destination in the EEPROM of the printer first. Search the Google for the Pixima ip4000 service manual and follow the instructions to change the EEPROM setting for the destination.
This would activate the CD-R sensor. I can confirm that the CD-R sensor is present on US model and can be activated. Also, after that you must change two keys in a registry (you don't need to install non US software for this, even with US driver installed changes in registry will bring Printable disk(recommended) and Printable Disk (others)CD in the list of supported media).
So, look for these 2 keys in a registry and make them equal to these values (This corresponds toAustralia and New Zeland destination):
Change the "CnmUI_ShipmentPlace"=dword:0000002c and "CnmFSI_CDRSWITCH"=dword:00000001 in registry for the printer.

After that the test print will confirm the activation of the CDR sensor.

Now, it is a time to get a CD tray. I don't have one, so my experiment is incomplete.

I will try to get an original or make my own and will post the result.

Thanks,

Eugene
Quote:
Eugene, When changing values in Registry Editor, I get, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Print/Printers/(ID of Printer)/PrinterDriverData/CnmUI_ShipmentPlace Reg_Dword 0x0000002c(44)
Quote:
Is this correct? Any success in obtaining a OEM Canon CD Tray? or anyone have sources? Thanks
dishinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 3:32 PM   #286

TVUONGPHAM
Epson Printer Tray is too wide and needs to be trimed down to enter Canon CD tray guides.

I think that overall length of tray, and position of CD on tray is probably different also. Would need to be confirmed.
dishinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 3:41 PM   #287

CanonFodder wrote:
Quote:
I have been checking back on this thread from time to time too.

I have found that the service manual for the ip4000 was recently made available on the internet.

In the manual it shows that it is possible to set the destination code for the printer to one of the following (located on page 21 of the pdf):

[align=left]1) Japan: iP4100[/align]

[align=left]2) Other than Japan, non-support of CD-R printing (A4): iP4000[/align]

[align=left]3) Other than Japan, non-support of CD-R printing (LTR): iP4000 (LTR)[/align]

[align=left]4) Other than Japan, support of CD-R printing (A4): iP4000[/align]

[align=left]5) Other than Japan, support of CD-R printing (LTR): iP4000 (LTR)[/align]

[align=left]Is there anyonewilling to try changing the destination code and see whether that helps to the end goal?[/align]

[align=left]The manual can be found by googling for:[/align]

[align=left]iP4000 service manual.part1 and iP4000 service manual.part2[/align]

[align=left]You need both part of the rar to be able to extract the manual.[/align]
ToolsCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 6:09 PM   #288

Canon manuals are posted here

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/equipment_mfg/Canon_22.html
The only guy who got actual CD/DVD tray is AlvinLee, so he is more close to the resolution of the problem. Also, from the high resolution image of the CDR base unit I can see that it is having additional supports for the tray. It helps align the CD/DVD tray and keeps in position when tray moves in a printer. So, don't throw out that piece of plastic which covers the hole in a CDR base unit. It needs to be properly altered to support CD/DVD tray.

Thanks,
eugene3838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2005, 7:49 PM   #289

AlvinLee, can you please scan the tray with a flat bed scanner and post the image.. if you have a scanner. So that we can have an exact dimension/template of the tray?

Thanks alot!

- DDT
Old May 7, 2005, 1:26 AM   #290

I changed the destination code and windows doesn't complain the "inner door opened" anymore.

As Eugene said, the final road block is the tray (for those without a tray). I've created a mock-up with Alvinlee's image as a template. I matched the actual size and even put some reflective sticker on the sensor area. But no luck, the printer start rolling the mock-up tray and spit it out. Complains that "no cd tray inserted"

Will keep trying. AlvinLee, where did you get the OEM tray?

Thanks,

Derek