Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 21, 2004, 3:27 PM   #21

Well, lets find out if its the drivers or the firmware. Anyone who owns the printer tried to install the UK drivers yet???
MrMiyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 6:37 PM   #22

I'm sorry to disappoint you all, but it's the firmware that will remove the cd printing option once the printer is connected and ready to print. Even if you install non-USA drivers, the cd printing option will not be visible once it establishes connection with printer. I once installed the drivers first on another port, and I can clearly see the printable disk option, but that didn't help much as it was not communicating with the printer. I will say this again, the firmware cannot be altered unless you know how to write and flash your own firmware.
Azzkikr1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 8:51 PM   #23

so the only option really is to import it from the UK ?
badtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 7:49 AM   #24

or have someone physically go to those countries that have them and bring you one back. :blah:That will be the cheapest solution but a huge favor though.
Azzkikr1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 2:25 PM   #25

after importing it ... would there be any type of problems using a UK version with a US version of an OS? [os x]
badtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2004, 12:23 AM   #26

The power supply is different 50 and 60 Hertz 220 Volts!

http://www.canon.com.au/products/pri...000_specs.html

http://www.canon.com.au/products/pri...e_library.html

http://www.canon.com.au/ftp/ip4000%20with%20cd_rgb.jpg

delta4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 4:42 PM   #27

I found my best solution to this problem, I'm buying Epson R300C from Costco for $145 which has direct CD DVD printing ability.I will imeadatly sell the Dye based ink that come with it.I have bought on Ebay auction refillable empty ink cartriges and pigment based ink 6 x 2oz $ 75 OUCH bottles of pigment based ink (This hopefully will make printed CD and DVD's much more water resistant. I have been told I will need to manually adjust my colors about 5% in Photo Shop.

Epson R300 beat Canon IP4000 in Tomshardware comparison that was only released a few days ago.
delta4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 1:42 AM   #28

delta4c wrote:
Quote:
I found my best solution to this problem, I'm buying Epson R300C from Costco for $145 which has direct CD DVD printing ability.I will imeadatly sell the Dye based ink that come with it.I have bought on Ebay auction refillable empty ink cartriges and pigment based ink 6 x 2oz $ 75 OUCH bottles of pigment based ink (This hopefully will make printed CD and DVD's much more water resistant. I have been told I will need to manually adjust my colors about 5% in Photo Shop.

Epson R300 beat Canon IP4000 in Tomshardware comparison that was only released a few days ago.
Sounds very interesting. Do come back and post your opinion of the quality of photo printouts on photo paper, and the water resistance and drying time of DVD printing, using the pigment based inks. You might even get me to sell my brand new i960...:G

Thanks, Skylark
skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 8:03 PM   #29

The R800 also does CD/DVDs. And, the inks are already pigment based so I don't have to trash my warranty to get it. Big price difference though.

Cheers,

Eric

erichlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2004, 4:00 PM   #30

I am American living in the UK and I have the IP3000 which is the same series. I can confirm that the specs marked on the printer itself areEuropean voltage. So you'd need a voltage converter.

However than is not a big deal. Any electronics shop woould have a power converter for about $15-20, which you can buy to convert to US voltage or vice versa.

The setup asks you for you location, but one you have set it up you can easily set it to print to US- sie paper as opposed to European A4. Paper size is always selectable.

The real question would be whether you want any printer bad enough to go through all the importation stress for CD/DVD printing, even a printer as nice as this.
skagen is offline   Reply With Quote