Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 7, 2005, 6:33 AM   #291

Hey guys im a bit of a newbie when it comes to this sort of thing and i have just got the english version of the ip3000. It is a quality all rounder and even the quality of print on a cdr / dvdr is faultless. I have only had it a few weeks and i would recomend it to anybody!

However, when printing cdr's or dvd-r'swith the supplied software it will only print from the outside edge of the cd to the 45mm diameter ring in the middle. Whereas I have dvd-r's that are 'whole surface printable' and the images i want to print usually cover the whole surface aswell... currently i have a 45mm dia white circle in the middle of all my dvds and the middle of the image missing which often wipes out some of the title. (sorry for photo quality, i took it on my phone)

I think the problem you have with your printers rejecting the make-shift trays it that along the edges of the canon tray there are various steps and lumps that let the printer know where the tray is.

Out of interest, why do so many of younot have the original tray for cd printing?

Thanks in advance, Alex
Attached Images

_Alex_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 7:18 AM   #292

Alex,

We do not have the original tray because the U.S versions of the Canon printers do not allow CD/DVD printing due to licensing issues. Therefore, no tray is included in the package. The purpose of this thread wasto try to find a way around the limitation.

If you have a scanner could you post a scanned image of the tray so we have an image with the true size of the tray.

I do think you might have something though. It has occurred to me that what appear to be two reflectors may in fact be recesses which the feed rollers "sense." They appear to have bevels just like the leading edge of the tray. And since I don't have my printer unpacked yet, I compared them to the feed rollers on my i860 and theyclosely match the distance of two rollers when the tray is roughly in the middle.

CanonFodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 8:24 AM   #293

no, you were right first time... there are 4 reflectors on the tray which the printer locates in order to check both the size of the cd that is in there and the exact position.

i can scan the tray but surely the image will be to big for this forum?
Old May 7, 2005, 8:45 AM   #294

i have done the scan for you, at 1200 dpi as a bitmap it is 72mb, and even as a highly compressed low quality jpeg its still a couple of meg.

if this forum is just for this issue is theer a way to set up my own for my own problem?

Alex
Old May 7, 2005, 11:02 AM   #295

It sounds like you guys are getting very close to the solution.I just bought the american ip 3000 after I found and read this forum,would anyone be willing to order me the canon tray I would pay for the tray,shipping and pay extra for your trouble.I wont everyone to be able toprint dvd's with this printer the way it was designed to.

THANKS.................and good work guys.
paiger651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 11:43 AM   #296

Thanks for helping us Alex. I'm not familar with "true size scan". But I usually scan stuff less than 300dpi. The image quality is not a pirority as long as we can the true size of the image.

Thanks,

Derek :-)
tang614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 12:01 PM   #297
tlg

Eugene,

I'm not entriely sure what you want. Do you want pictures of the CD tray in-situe during a print process, or high quality still of the tray itself from x, y and z views, or both?

Hit me back,

tlg
tlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 12:20 PM   #298
tlg

Alex,

Yeah, this annoyed me too at first - wrecked one of my new dvdrs at the immense cost of 16p However, you can adjust the inner and outer circle sizes by clicking on "Adjust Circle Size" on the right hand size of "CD-LabelPrint" (bundled software). However, this probably doesn't allow you enough variance. You have to go to file->select paper and simply make up a new CD Type. My personal settings are:

Outer Size: 118mm (max)

Inner Size: 20mm

Save it as something meaningful

Make sure your customtype and you can print right up to the center - bob's ya uncle.
tlg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2005, 12:55 PM   #299

cheers, i cant belive i have been so stupid!

if one or two of you guys wants to send me an e-mail address i can forward you the scan of my cd tray... its under 2 meg
Old May 7, 2005, 10:13 PM   #300

tlg,

As tang614already tried to do the printing with the home made tray and it didn't work I would suspect that our search should continue for the actual trays plus alignment mechanism located in a CD tray base unit. So, if you can make a picture of the CD tray base unit from the front when it is open and ready to accept a CD tray it will be great. I need to see what is different in US and non US models in this place. The scan of the DVD tray appears to be handled already and it is just a matter of getting it send to us.

Thanks.
Eugene
Eugene

eugene3838 is offline   Reply With Quote