Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 14, 2005, 8:59 AM   #331

here the exact dimensions for ip3000 cd tray
Attached Images

superclo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 3:23 PM   #332

CanonFodder,
If you have access to a well stocked hobby shop try to find some Evergreen Scale Models plastic sheet. It comes in 6"X12" sheets in various thicknesses (0.010, 0.020, 0.040, etc). I use a lot of it in my model railroading hobby. That is what I have used to try and build a tray. Now that superclo has posted a nice drawing with all the dimensions including the reflectors and I downloaded the Service Manual I will try again. Hope it works.

Steve W.
on30trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 4:11 PM   #333

on30trainman wrote:
Quote:
CanonFodder,
If you have access to a well stocked hobby shop try to find some Evergreen Scale Models plastic sheet. It comes in 6"X12" sheets in various thicknesses (0.010, 0.020, 0.040, etc). I use a lot of it in my model railroading hobby. That is what I have used to try and build a tray. Now that superclo has posted a nice drawing with all the dimensions including the reflectors and I downloaded the Service Manual I will try again. Hope it works.

Steve W.

I struck out on my first trip today, I plan on going out again in about an hour. I have a couple of RC and train hobby stores nearby I can check next.

Are the Evergreen plastic sheets black. Because I think it is important the sensor needs to not get reflected light from anything but the reflectors. I was searching online last night and found some black abs 0.040 which would probably work good if I can't find anything local.

The local plastic suppliers are closed for the weekend, I was going to check them out too.

Oh, and while out I happened to run into a Canon representative,he confirmed that some of the next models will have CD printing capability in the U.S. He said he just was looking at the new product sheets today.
CanonFodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 4:58 PM   #334

Hi CanonFodder,

That's a very encouraging news. But my question is why is the bevel so important? Cos I've previously tried to make a tray with some thick paper but no success.Should the total length from the top edge to the reflective sensors measured without the bevel if I don't create a bevel on my model tray? (Since I think that the bevel will be "eaten" by the white roller and the effective length is started from the edge after the bevel instead.) Not sure if you understand what I mean.....

tang614
tang614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 6:11 PM   #335

woa you guys are really good. cracking that thing finally !
very silly question: after changing the destination (on the front panel), how do i know i did it right? i printed the EEPROM thing, but it's like a whole bunch of numbers.. I can find some CDR=, CDRP= and CDRS= but they are all 00000, 00000, 00000 and 000. i guess it's no good. :O also, someone mentioned "dumping the EEPROM" ?? what's that?

i am on mac tiger 10.4. and i have the IP4000R US.

peace
[a]

EDIT: i printed the service test print and the CDR SENSOR=OK... yay :G
starno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 7:28 PM   #336

Quote:
CanonFodder wrote:
Oh, and while out I happened to run into a Canon representative,*he confirmed that some of the next models will have CD printing capability in the U.S.** He said he just was looking at the new product sheets today.*

Hey CanonFodder,

Interesting news - I wonder if this means Canon has found a way around the patent issue or decided to pay whomever for a license.

By the way, did the Canon rep mention when those new models will be available?

George
spent_poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 10:09 PM   #337

Tang614,

I found that without a slight bevel on the underside, after it located the sensors (which invovled some back and forth gyrations of the tray) it was unable to feed the tray back between the black roller and the white rollers without a slight bevel on the under side. Furthermore, I attempted to make a tray with some black photo matte paper today, It worked but there was too much friction between the paper and the sides to fully spit the tray out. I fgure in the long run it would be hard on the printer motor. I am eyeing a particular rubbermaid black tote box though and a black trash can at the office supply store. Need to take some calipers and check there thickness first.

Starno,

I printed out the test page before and after I made the destination change. For both cases it said CDR SENSOR =OK in red. What was different is that before the change at the top of the page it had IP4000 (LTR) in blue, after the change the IP4000 (LTR) was in red (actually it was more of a pink now that i look at it)matching the CDR SENSOR = OK text.

spent_poet,

The rep was working at a particular computer store trying to help move the current printers. I wasn't really trying to prod to much about it. But I did ask if that meant CD trays would be available as replacement parts. He seemed to think that the would be available when the printers come out.

Just ignore any typos I missed with the last edit.
Old May 14, 2005, 10:18 PM   #338

CanonFodder & Others-
The Evergreen plastic is white. A black tray may be needed, but- I modified the Destination to "non-japan, CD printing, ltr". After doing this the printer doesn't tell me the lower tray is open anymore and does grab my tray (white plastic) and pulls it in, but then ejects it unprinted. Used some small aluminum foil squares for the reflectors. Then I tried putting a black paper piece over the white plastic tray and glued the sensors on. Result was the same - pulled in tray, paused a few seconds, pulled the tray in further and ejected it with no printing. Maybe the aluminum foil isn't a good enough reflector. Placed the reflectors as defined on the recent drawing of the ip3000 tray.
Update - I just found a print I made of a tray image posted much earlier on this thread. The printout is full scale (there is a ruler next to it which matches my scale). The placement of the reflectors are at somewhat different locations than "superclo" gave - not alot but several mm. Moved my refectors to the different spots. I still don't get a print, but the operation is different. The trays goes in and out several times before being ejected. Could be the foil refectors aren't good enough. Will do more tests tomorrow or so - getting late here in the eastern US. Later.

Steve W.
on30trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 10:36 PM   #339

HOW I MADE MY TRAY: STEP 1

Cutthe front of a DVD casecover off at the spine. Trim the center of the left hand side flush and the bottom flush.Cut off the lowerDVD booklet clip.

Attached Images

Old May 14, 2005, 10:37 PM   #340

HOW I MADE MY TRAY: STEP 2

Line up pattern as shown. Mark corners of sensors and center of cd hole by poking through with tip of dividers.
Attached Images