Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 14, 2005, 10:38 PM   #341

HOW I MADE MY TRAY: STEP3

With a sharp knife trim top and left side. Then set dividers to the size of a cd, so you have a snug fit. Using the center hole previously punched slowly score the hole round and round. Take your time. When you think you have gone through most of the way turn the piece over and score from the other side. The center hole should be through by now.
Attached Images

CanonFodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2005, 10:38 PM   #342

HOW I MADE MY TRAY: STEP4

Cut sensor holes with a knife using the holes previously punched as guides. I did cut a slight bevel around the two left most sensor holes to mimic the original tray.

Attached Images

Old May 14, 2005, 10:39 PM   #343

HOW I MADE MY TRAY: STEP5

Trim a second DVD case cover like the first steps but don't cut any holes in it. Place it so the lower case hole is on the opposite side

Attached Images

Old May 14, 2005, 10:40 PM   #344

HOW I MADE MY TRAY: STEP6

Place reflectors (I used aluminum foil duct tape) on left hand piece and place right hand piece on it. You can see I used some old VHS labels attached to each half and then glued them together, I haven't found a glue that sticks well to the plastic.

Put a bevel on the top of the leading edge, and a smaller bevel on the bottom of the leading edge.

Attached Images

Old May 15, 2005, 1:55 AM   #345

starno wrote:
Quote:
woa you guys are really good. cracking that thing finally !
very silly question: after changing the destination (on the front panel), how do i know i did it right? i printed the EEPROM thing, but it's like a whole bunch of numbers.. I can find some CDR=, CDRP= and CDRS= but they are all 00000, 00000, 00000 and 000. i guess it's no good. :O also, someone mentioned "dumping the EEPROM" ?? what's that?

i am on mac tiger 10.4. and i have the IP4000R US.

peace
[a]

EDIT: i printed the service test print and the CDR SENSOR=OK... yay :G

OKAY.
I can confirm 1. RESETING THE DESTINATION CODE, FOR NON-JAPAN W/CDR
WILL:
ENABLE CDR TRAY B TO SHOW UP IN PAPER SIZE
. 2. LOADING NON US English drivers will let you create the CDR Printing

I used the application called "CD-Label Print" from Canon.
.. sweet... soon my tray will arrive. I might have a couple extra CDR trays.

I am using MacOS 10.4
( for some reason my driver installation said it failed, but the printer still was able to be setup in printer utility, and it prints excellent. soon to test the CDR printing)

TO CLARIFY:
You will know you have set the destination code correctly when:
1. you have the CDR tray available to print
-- just load the non-US drivers, set the destination code, and print via the CD-Label Print program. You can D/L it from Canon.
OR use Discus 3.x (choose Pixma printer)

Or make your own template (trial and error) I don't have the dimensions.
Good luck! I am just waiting for my tray(s) to arrive.
TVUONGPHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 2:17 AM   #346

TVUONGPHAM wrote:
Quote:
starno wrote:
Quote:
woa you guys are really good. cracking that thing finally !
very silly question: after changing the destination (on the front panel), how do i know i did it right? i printed the EEPROM thing, but it's like a whole bunch of numbers.. I can find some CDR=, CDRP= and CDRS= but they are all 00000, 00000, 00000 and 000. i guess it's no good. :O also, someone mentioned "dumping the EEPROM" ?? what's that?

i am on mac tiger 10.4. and i have the IP4000R US.

peace
[a]

EDIT: i printed the service test print and the CDR SENSOR=OK... yay :G

OKAY.
I can confirm 1. RESETING THE DESTINATION CODE, FOR NON-JAPAN W/CDR
WILL:
ENABLE CDR TRAY B TO SHOW UP IN PAPER SIZE
. 2. LOADING NON US English drivers will let you create the CDR Printing

I used the application called "CD-Label Print" from Canon.
.. sweet... soon my tray will arrive. I might have a couple extra CDR trays.

I am using MacOS 10.4
( for some reason my driver installation said it failed, but the printer still was able to be setup in printer utility, and it prints excellent. soon to test the CDR printing)

If you happen to get your hands on an extra tray or 2, I would much rather get a genuine one if you can spare it.

Remember, I was the one who got it to work first :blah:That should be worth some consideration

Scan of actual CD tray courtesy of __ALEX__

Attached Images

Old May 15, 2005, 12:04 PM   #347

Could anyone who is able to order the canon tray possibly order a few for the people interested in getting the actual part,maybe put them on ebay are somthing.Im in the united states andwould like to have one if someone could help us out it would be much appreciated.

THANKS ALOT.............
paiger651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 8:43 PM   #348

on30trainman wrote:

Quote:
CanonFodder & Others-
The Evergreen plastic is white. A black tray may be needed, but- I modified the Destination to "non-japan, CD printing, ltr". After doing this the printer doesn't tell me the lower tray is open anymore and does grab my tray (white plastic) and pulls it in, but then ejects it unprinted. Used some small aluminum foil squares for the reflectors. Then I tried putting a black paper piece over the white plastic tray and glued the sensors on. Result was the same - pulled in tray, paused a few seconds, pulled the tray in further and ejected it with no printing. Maybe the aluminum foil isn't a good enough reflector. Placed the reflectors as defined on the recent drawing of the ip3000 tray.
Update - I just found a print I made of a tray image posted much earlier on this thread. The printout is full scale (there is a ruler next to it which matches my scale). The placement of the reflectors are at somewhat different locations than "superclo" gave - not alot but several mm. Moved my refectors to the different spots. I still don't get a print, but the operation is different. The trays goes in and out several times before being ejected. Could be the foil refectors aren't good enough. Will do more tests tomorrow or so - getting late here in the eastern US. Later.

Steve W.

I MADE IT WORK!!!!:|

You are right, the CORRECT reflectors placement and dimentions are those on the printout with the ruler next to it. You can use aluminum dust tape or aluminum foil, it work the same. Just make sure that you make the 3rd. reflector to the right smaller than the othersas in the printout. Guide yourself as close as possible to this printout guiding yourself with the ruler.

I made mine out of CD cases (the thin ones) using a DREMEL mototool to shape the parts.

SEE MY WORK OF ART

Attached Images

nelsonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2005, 11:17 PM   #349

Good to know someone else got it to work, but you might want to edit your post so it looks like you did it and not on30trainman.

If you look at my previous post the image I attached courtesy of alex is actual size. Just be sure you download it before printing, don't try to print from your browser.

And I do think the reflectors are all the same size. It is just that the one closest to the edge is actually on the surface of the real tray withraised ridges on the sides to prevent the ink carriage from hitting the sensor.
Old May 16, 2005, 1:00 AM   #350

Putting a USA power supply into a British iP5000 was literally a snap!
I ordered the EU version of the iP5000
http://www.expansys-usa.com/product....N_PIXMA_IP5000

I called
Canon U.S.A., Inc. Parts Department
100 Jamesburg Road
Jamesburg, NJ 08831
Phone: (732) 521-7679

Ordered
Part# Description Cost
QH2-2725-000 CORD, POWER, 100V-120V $1.36
QK1-1068-000 AC ADAPTER: 100V-120V 50/60HZ $18.51
SHIPPING 5.00
TOTAL 24.87

The power supply is a modular wedge that fits in the back corner of the case. You just pry it out with your fingers, disconnect the cable, connect and insert the USA replacement.

I then installed the software on Windows 2000, indicating that I was in Europe. The CD-Lable software installed and worked. No registry hacking or anything. I was then able to print on CDs. I shared the printer on my network, and on another machine, I just explored the CD till I found the folder for the CD-LabelPrint softare and installed that directly, without going through the other setup features. I could then print CDs to the shared printer.
iSAWaUFO is offline   Reply With Quote