Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 16, 2005, 8:31 AM   #351

CanonFodder,
I totally agree - when I read nelsonb's post I was confused. He made it work, not me. I am still working on it - hopefully I am just about there.

nelsonb,
I really like the tray design you came up with. I am in the process of cutting up two thin cases to make the same tray. Your design provides a neat disk holder without having to cut out the hole. I ran mine flat over some course and fine sandpaper to get the ridges to the same level as a DVD/CD. Tested it without the reflector piece added to make sure the printer would grab it without any interference - it worked fine. Now to cut a second tray to make the reflector piece. These cases seem to be styrene plastic so they could easily join using MEK as a solvent glue.

So far I see the RED LED on the print head looking for the reflectors, but I haven't got them placed right yet or they aren't shiny enough. Going to look for some shiny tape today at Home Depot or Lowes. It is interesting to watch the printhead in this mode. Lift the top lid and depress the lid tab on the right side. The print head scans - when it gets to the tray area it lifts up to clear the tray then drops back down. So I know the printer is working OK - just not finding the reflectors yet.

Hope to get this working today. Now to get some printable DVDs. But I have over 100 non-printable DVDs in stock. Will put labels on some to test out the printing first.
BTW - I am one of those who have had absolutely no problem with labels - many working fine for almost a year. Most are burned all the way to the outer edge also.

Steve W.
on30trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 11:23 AM   #352

CanonFodder,

Thanks for the advise. I corrected my post.

About the 3rd. reflector I agree on the rised ridges, but still the reflector is smaller (just a bit). My tray did not work until I gave this reflector the correct size. If you give a good look to the printout with the ruler, posted very earlier in this forum, you will see the reflector is smaller

on30trainman,

Don't worry about the shinning of the reflectors. Aluminum foil is just OK. The real problem is in their correct location within the tray and their size. Be as acurate as you can. I made my tray exactly as you explained with sand paper. I managed to acheive a thikness of about 2mm., good enough to make the tray slide freely through the inside of the printer. Be sure your tray is 131mm. wide.

nelsonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 5:49 PM   #353

FYI.
i placed the scan of the CD tray on top of the line drawing.. you will see they are slightly different.. (see attached jpg..) :!:
[a]
Attached Images

starno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 6:19 PM   #354

Hi Folks

I´m from Germany and you can order the Tray you all need in an onlineshop.

The problem is that you need a legitimation that you are a computerdealer^^

The Tray only cost 4,27 € plus Vat(16%)

Canon CD-ROM Tray Assy für Tintenstrahldrucker Pixma IP 3000
Ersatzteil, Herstellernummer QL2-0605-000

here ist the german test vor the Tray

http://www.ibfshop.de/product_info.p...ucts_id=699409

and the Link :-D

maybethis can help you in getting these trays.

Wallyman

Wallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 7:34 PM   #355

HURRAH HURRAH - add me to the list of those who have finally gotten a tray that does work. Thanks especially to nelsonb - your tray design using the thin cases ROCKS. Still have a little refining to do, but have been able to print three disks so far. Using paper labels on some CDs for my tests. The tray is kinda being held together with scotch tape, but it works. The placement of the reflectors, especially the ones on the RIGHT, is critical. Also had to run the tray bottom over some coarse sandpaper, then fine, to make it thinner. Before I did that it was hanging up in the printer.
Hopefully some of the early contributors to this thread have been following the latest findings. There was a lot of discouraging non-progress being made early on. I never did like the bypass method - too hard to get right and I scratched several disks before giving up on it. Think the finding of the Service Manual was the starting point of major progress. Thanks to all who have made contributions - somebody should market (ebay?) this or a similar tray design, if we can't find a source of real Canon trays for a reasonable price. Think I spent less than $1 in materials for this tray - not counting my time of course.
Later,
Steve W.
on30trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2005, 11:51 PM   #356

starno wrote:
Quote:
FYI.
i placed the scan of the CD tray on top of the line drawing.. you will see they are slightly different.. (see attached jpg..) :!:
[a]
starno,

What is the center point dimension of the reflector closest to the edge of tray? That number is cut off in image.

Thanks for the overlay.
dishinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 12:36 AM   #357

The line drawing of superclo (posted on page 17) gives this dimension (see jpg attached).
i don't have the tray but the actual scan seems to confirm that vertical mesurement..

peace
[a]
Attached Images

starno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 8:27 AM   #358

Add me to the list of people to get this to work. Thanks to everyone. What a great group effort!

A little about how I made the tray. I came at it as more of a woodworker. Home Depot sells Lexan .040" sheet plastic. I made a template out of 3/4" plywood with a hole 1/16" larger than a dvd. I used this with a router with a template guide to cut a depression in the lexan the size and thickness of a dvd.

Because the lexan is clear I used 3M spray adhesive "77" to glue black construction paper to the top of the tray. But not in the hole for the dvd! I then used the foil duct tape for the reflectors. I also sanded a bevel in the top front edge.

The results are so worth the effort everyone should hang in there. Thanks again.

kingnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 10:19 AM   #359

TVUONGPHAM,

Could you possibly tell us your location and where you are ordering the stock Canon trays from?

This would be a great help if we could order our own.

Thanks,

soundforbjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 5:17 PM   #360

kingnick wrote:
Quote:
Add me to the list of people to get this to work. Thanks to everyone. What a great group effort!

A little about how I made the tray. I came at it as more of a woodworker. Home Depot sells Lexan .040" sheet plastic. I made a template out of 3/4" plywood with a hole 1/16" larger than a dvd. I used this with a router with a template guide to cut a depression in the lexan the size and thickness of a dvd.

Because the lexan is clear I used 3M spray adhesive "77" to glue black construction paper to the top of the tray. But not in the hole for the dvd! I then used the foil duct tape for the reflectors. I also sanded a bevel in the top front edge.

The results are so worth the effort everyone should hang in there. Thanks again.

Good work.

I had been contemplating the router (probably with my laminate trimmer) idea but hadn't found suitable black plastic to try it with. For some stupid reason I hadn't thought about using black paper on the surface.

A question for those with experience. How well does vinyl dye and/or krylon fusion adhere to plastic. I have never tried repainting plastic, but I am sure some here have. Do you think it would stand up well to passing through the rollers regularly without flaking off?

CanonFodder is offline   Reply With Quote