Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 17, 2005, 6:12 PM   #361

With my limited experience with vinyl dye on optical drives, if you rough up the surface first and then apply several light coats, it seems to be pretty durable. No experience with the "fusion" stuff.
soundforbjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 9:15 PM   #362

It would be easiest to just start with black plastic... I had a can of primer that I sprayed on a scrap of lexan. I wanted to test if it would desolve the plastic. I didn't rough up the surface at all. The paint went on ok, but it came off easily with my thumbnail. The thought of that going in and out of the printer scared me.

That's when I got the idea for the paper. Here is a pic of the tray with a printed disc in it.

Attached Images

kingnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 11:31 AM   #363

please, i need some kind of help here...

a few questions about the tray construction..

is necesary black??

can i make tests with no printable cds?? how??

if anybody with a working home made tray send me the size an exact position of the reflectors in the tray please?? because are diferences between the scan and the pdf...

jajaja, later i send a pic of my test tray, so all of you tell me what is wrong with it (i think everything)

thanks!!

the pics:
Attached Images

golgota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 11:56 AM   #364

another
Attached Images

Old May 18, 2005, 11:57 AM   #365

the last...
Attached Images

Old May 18, 2005, 12:53 PM   #366

Golgota,

That looks like it might work, it probably needs to be black all over. That was the breakthrough for me. Try black magic marker on the whole front that feeds into the printer. It does look kinda thick though. Can you get it to feed into the printer?
kingnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 1:27 PM   #367

Golgota,

It looks way to thick. Try to make it about 2mm. in thickness, the same as two DVD's one ontop the other.

Use the reflector positioning of the printout to the right on your picture at the desk, the other one with the dimensions is wrong.

Last recommendation: paint it black somehow.

Wish you luck!
nelsonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 3:21 PM   #368

golgota;

i agree with nelsonb. It looks like your reflectors are not located correctly, & it does appear too thick & needs to be black.
vandyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 4:21 PM   #369

Golgota,
Don't place the reflectors to the dimensions on the line drawing - they are not correct. Use one of the tray scans to locate them.
My homemade tray (made from the thin disk trays) measures about 2.5 mm at the thickest part. The leadin edge is about 2 mm.
I also didn't have any printable disks for testing with. I put some disk labels on CDs to do my testing. I have over 100 8X Fuji (Japan) and Sony (Japan) regular DVD disks to use up before I buy any printables. But, hey, labels on disks haven't been a problem for me in almost a year, and most disks are recorded full or near full. Bought all the regular DVDs when it didn't seem that US Canon PIXMAs were ever going to be able to print directly to DVDs. Never liked the so called by-pass method.

Steve W.
on30trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2005, 11:42 PM   #370

I haven't read this entire thread yet, I just stumbled onto the site while googling and trying to figure out whether the Canon printers print on CD's, so I'm not sure if this topic has been addressed. Apparently Canon has forgone the CD-printing option in the U.S. due to the licensing cost. I've read about their "low margins" and such, which is a crock. The margins on selling printers has long been nil - heck, they're often given away free with the purchase of a PC. Where the manufacturers make their money is SELLING THE INK!! I've been trying to make up my mind between the 8500 and the i9900, but now I'm so pissed I might just go with Epson after all. This from somebody who's owned and love 4 different Canon printers and 2 digital cameras!
A_Xanadu is offline   Reply With Quote