Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 20, 2005, 2:29 PM   #381

CanonFodder wrote:
Quote:
kingnick wrote:
Quote:
Add me to the list of people to get this to work.* Thanks to everyone.* What a great group effort!*

A little about how I made the tray.* I came at it as more of a woodworker.* Home Depot sells Lexan .040" sheet plastic.* I made a template out of 3/4" plywood with a hole 1/16" larger than a dvd.* I used this with a router with a template guide to cut a depression in the lexan the size and thickness of a dvd.

Because the lexan is clear I used 3M spray adhesive "77" to glue black construction paper to the top of the tray.* But not in the hole for the dvd!* I then used the foil duct tape for the reflectors.** I also sanded a bevel in the top front edge.

The results are so worth the effort everyone should hang in there.* Thanks again.

Good work.*

I had been contemplating the router (probably with my laminate trimmer) idea but hadn't found suitable black plastic to try it with.** For some stupid reason I hadn't thought about using black paper on the surface.

A question for those with experience.* How well does vinyl dye and/or krylon fusion adhere to plastic.* I have never tried repainting plastic, but I am sure some here have.* Do you think it would stand up well to passing through the rollers regularly without flaking off?*

Speaking of plastic sheets, does anyone have an opinion on what other kinds of plastic that might work? I found a site that states that if you have carbide-tipped tools, ABS plastic can be sawd and routed. And it seems easier to find in black than with Lexan (ABS is jokingly referred to as "all black stuff").

Would appreciate any additional comments and information.

George
spent_poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 2:55 PM   #382

here's a company selling abs sheet in black

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...duct%5Fid=3068

I think this would work. You could make almost 100 trays out of one sheet. With a material cost of $.52 each.
kingnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 3:06 PM   #383

kingnick wrote:
Quote:

I think this would work. You could make almost 100 trays out of one sheet. With a material cost of $.52 each.
Shipping costs are $90.00
so. . . you add it up.
This is "too large for UPS, must be shipped motor freight"

48" x 96"

You are better of paying 30 bux for a tray
... if you can get your hands on one
TVUONGPHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 4:30 PM   #384

TVUONGPHAM wrote:
Quote:
kingnick wrote:
Quote:

Shipping costs are $90.00
so. . . you add it up.
This is "too large for UPS, must be shipped motor freight"

48" x 96"

You are better of paying 30 bux for a tray
... if you can get your hands on one

But that $90 would only add up to about a $1 per tray, So it would be about $1.50 per tray.
CanonFodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2005, 4:52 PM   #385

Hi guys,

I live in Slovakia (Central Europe), and somehow I have bought an US Pixma 3000 in our local store.:?:?

I had a problem, where could I get a CD Tray, and than I called to a Canon service in Prague (Czech Republic), and they have send me one for 0.47$/per piece. So if you would have any interes, I can try to get let say 10 of them and send then to one if you in USA, and you will split them up as you want.

And BTW: The product number on the CD tray is
QC1-4249 >ABS<T2-1

Hope this helps you.
Makino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2005, 3:46 PM   #386

Its been asked, but thought I would ask again regarding the epson R200/300 cd/dvd tray? I have a couple sitting around here and wouldnt mind modifying one to the point of ruining it
JAXXBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 1:22 PM   #387

Makino wrote:
Quote:
Hi guys,

I live in Slovakia (Central Europe), and somehow I have bought an US Pixma 3000 in our local store.:??

I had a problem, where could I get a CD Tray, and than I called to a Canon service in Prague (Czech Republic), and they have send me one for 0.47$/per piece. So if you would have any interes, I can try to get let say 10 of them and send then to one if you in USA, and you will split them up as you want.

And BTW: The product number on the CD tray is
QC1-4249 >ABS<T2-1

Hope this helps you.
Makino, I sent you an Email.

To all interested,

I'm working with someone in the US who is trying to find a source for the trays and is also developing a CIS (continuous ink supply system for theCanon printers). We may soon have a source avaliable where anyone can get the printer already modified with a CIS, or any of the parts as needed.
soundforbjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 5:05 PM   #388

FYI:

for the ip3000/4000 cdr tray i am selling on ebay which ends in about an hour.

the whole of the usa is in'zone 1' on this chart:

i dont think its over 300gso its not gona be much more than £5 to send

Attached Images

_Alex_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2005, 8:08 PM   #389

soundforbjt, THANK YOU,Yes i would love to get a tray.

Alex igot outbid on your tray but it looks like you done pretty well on it.

I wish we could all get one............:sad:

thanks guys.....................
paiger651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 10:29 AM   #390

I took an old R200 cd/dvd tray I had laying around and did some measurements. Looks to be about 2mm thick and the the other dimensions are just over the ip3000 dimensions. What this means is that we can use the R200 tray and just cut down to where we need it. The width is 135mm and the length is 295mm. The disc radious looks perfectly the same as the Ip3000. I think this is a go here and the tray can most easily be ordered from epson in the States.
JAXXBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote