Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Nov 12, 2004, 10:57 AM   #31

I once comtemplated of havingan IP5000imported from Germany, but after careful considerations, I gave up the idea. It would cost $285 just the printer alone to get to USA, and I need additional voltage and power adapter converter which would easily add up to $300 USD. My alternative was just get Epson in the USA. If Canon refuses to add it for USA, then I don't need to buy your products even though it is very good. I aint paying $100 more forone feature that isn't the end of the world for me if I don't have it.
Azzkikr1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2004, 9:50 PM   #32

[align=left]Not that this letter provides much enlightenment, but I thought I would share it with the group. I had been interested in the ip5000 and read the UK review and there discovered that their version of the printer would print on cds, something that is of great interest to me... so I wrote canon asking if the US version would print on cds.. or if you could purchase some accessory to make it do so.. and got the following reply. It wasn't till I decided to share the responce, that I found out this was a topic of discussion here. eh well.... here it is, for what its worth.[/align]

[align=left]Dear Mr. Finch,[/align]

[align=left]

[align=left]Thank you for your inquiry.[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]Globally, Canon is comprised of many different sales divisions. Each sales division makes their own business decisions as to the products and features they feel will help them achieve their goals and best suit their market. Canon USA has made the decision not to include the CDR/DVD printing feature on consumer printers sold in this market. I apologize for this inconvenience. If any other assistance is needed, then please feel free to contact us again and we will be glad to help you. Thank you for choosing Canon.[/align]

[align=left][/align]

[align=left]Sincerely,[/align][/align]

[align=left]Stephen [/align]

[align=left]Product Support Representative[/align]
Jfinch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 8:21 AM   #33

Well a couple of things to note. First, whoever quoted you $285 to ship to US is obviously playing a rip off game - itmight cost $75 max.But then againhe probaby figured you were prime candidate for the rip-off if you wantedit so bad.

Also its not likeCanon doesn't want to include the CD printing. Most likely is that the holder of the US version of the patent (Philips I think) is trying to rip THEM off on the licence.

And remember that we in Europe pay far more for these printers than you do in the USA. The USA is one of the world's most competitve electronics markets and margins are genrally low.

If you froogle the Canon IP 3000, you can get it in the USAas low as $90-100 before shipping. In contrast, in England for example, the best price I was ablebuy the IP3000was £75 i.e. US $145. So thats $45-50 difference at retail. Looks to me like you are getting the better deal than us. Hell, for 30% price reduction, I'd too would be perfectly willing to forgo CD printing!!!

But back to the numbers If you figure that Canon gets 30% gross margin then that $45-50 retail price difference might mean $10-12 orperprinter. Even less by the time they include all the damn chrgebacks and advertising support they have to pay to retail behemoths like Circuit City, Best buy etc - which have no parrallel in Europe. Not much left in there to be paying huge licence fees.

So how much is Philips looking for to licence the patent- and what was the expected increase in sale if Canon had the C print - probably negligible.

See where this is leading. I'd do the same myself. I'm sure its just the patent holder playing hardball and Canon refusing to knuclke under. They're not the type of company to skimp on features - and I doubt that a dispute of this sort was about a few pennies. It was either about big money or maybe cross-licencing or somethign like that.
skagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 10:17 AM   #34

more of what you probably already know.....

Dear Mr. Finch,

Thank you for contacting Canon product support. unfortunately, since Canon does not offer the CD printing option in the states, the assembly is not sold by our parts department. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Karl
Product Support Representative
Jfinch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2004, 6:12 PM   #35

two people I know are going to Hong Kong in December. I'm going to ask one of them to carry one IP5000 for me. I just hope they say yes.
Azzkikr1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 6:41 PM   #36

skagen wrote:
Quote:
Well a couple of things to note. First, whoever quoted you $285 to ship to US is obviously playing a rip off game - itmight cost $75 max.But then againhe probaby figured you were prime candidate for the rip-off if you wantedit so bad.
If you reread what he said, the iP5000 + shipping/handling (+ customs??) was $285. Considering the printer inthe US is about $180, that's about $105 more. As you say, they are more expensive in Europe, so that also may make up some of the difference. I'd guess that the guy was in the neighborhood of $75 shipping.

Cheers,

Eric
erichlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2004, 7:25 PM   #37

Anyway these things are WAY cheaper in USA, so you cant blame Canon for not being willing to pay any more additonal licencing or patent fees on them. Today, I just saw a website in the USA (Ebuyer.com) selling the IP300) of US $75. That's half what I paid for mine last week here UK - and I got mine at the lowest price online in the UK.

You can't have your cake and eat it too....
Old Nov 18, 2004, 5:05 AM   #38

skagen wrote:
Quote:
I am American living in the UK and I have the IP3000 which is the same series. I can confirm that the specs marked on the printer itself are*European voltage. So you'd need a voltage converter.

how about the drivers? would one use the UK drivers?

I have a cousin coming to the states soon from europe (france) .... and wondering if I should have her bring one with her ??
badtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2004, 7:32 AM   #39

It allows you to to select any type of paper you want, whether A4 or 8 1/2 x 11 or whatever. That's not an issue. The issue is whether iets worth paying twice as much for the printer + cost of an adapter. For that amount of money, you could just get a higher class of printer in the US, no?
Old Nov 30, 2004, 4:13 AM   #40

Not to so easily give up in the face of firmwariness.Butthe CD-R tray has two notches as reflectors. Maybe this is required to be sensed by the printer to activate the software. I found the manual from HKthat provides more detail on the CD-R function as well as illustration: http://www.canon.com.hk/myContent/Pr...00/CDR_ENG.pdf

I'm in Asia, but I accidently did the opposite and bought the printer from USA and so I'm trying to get a tray from the local Asian dealer to see if I can get it to work. If it works, maybe I should try get a bunch of trays for those in need. Let's see if we can get it to work first.

AlvinLee is offline   Reply With Quote