Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old May 27, 2005, 10:17 PM   #401

JAXXBOSS wrote:
Quote:
Thats a good deal, but u could ahve bought it at staples then pricematched it, foe a total of $32.oo with coupons n such, but i digress.
2 problems with that theory...

#1 - I don't have a Staples anywhere near me
#2 - I haven't seen a price match policy that matches online prices
Kurto2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 4:46 AM   #402

JAXXBOSS wrote:
Quote:
Its been asked, but thought I would ask again regarding the epson R200/300 cd/dvd tray? I have a couple sitting around here and wouldnt mind modifying one to the point of ruining it
I've had the ip3000 for 1/2 day. My Epson r200 is in the shop, and did modify a tray. I dremmeled off 2mm from the sides and cut the fore and aft within a couple millimeters. I didn't bother to taper the rear of the tray, kept it rectangular. I'm able to print with it somewhat. The Epson tray is slightly tapered in the front what seemed to be slightly more than 2mm, more like 2.5mm based on my ruler.

When the software asks me to insert the disc, I find I must manually push it in as it's trying to accept the tray. I don't know if the Epson plastic is too slick, too thin, or if there is an issue not having top rollers in the cd feeder. I have a 9mm opened wrench stuck in the cover close button so I can watch it feed. When i'm lucky and push it in the proper distance the aft rollers clamp down and it operates normally.

The output is slightly off center, but I suspect that is due to my reflectors being slightly off. The epson tray isn't flat and flush like the canon tray, and I've been placing the reflectors in the valleys raised up with scotch tape. My first attempt using spray paint (Kills oil based white primer and Chrome paint) didn't work, but I clearly placed them in the wrong spot.

In theory I'm getting a replacement tray via post for free from Epson.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 5:09 AM   #403

A_Xanadu wrote:
Quote:
This from somebody who's owned and love 4 different Canon printers and 2 digital cameras!
If you decide to go with the Epson... keep in mind that those suckers are designed to pretty much self destruct. Mine is in the shop because the stupid thing was over filled with ink and started pouring out the front. In all fairness the printer software did report" that it was full, but since then I had been feeding the ink out the back and into a starbucks mug. From my understanding, replacing the waste pad or print head in the Epson is a major undertaking requiring a service manual and lots of patience. You can resolve the waste pad issue if you add some tubing to the back and feed out the waste ink. The print head well outside of buying cleaning carts or injecting no drip windex with a syringe there is no chance in hell. Not to speak of the chipped carts that say empty before they are... and refilling requiring a 3rd party refillable carts, and either a chip reseter or resettable chips.

The SSC Service Utility is a must have if you own an Epson. There seems to be no other way to reset the waste counter. http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

When/If I get my Epson back I can do a better side by side analysis. I have to admit I was very pleased with it's output on photo paper. But I'm most offended by their design considerations prohibiting end user maintenance attempting for force you to buy factory cartages, and chucking the printer when it's out of warranty.

Old May 28, 2005, 6:42 PM   #404

US IP4000 R is printing as well with my home made tray. Thanks a lot to all. what a great great great group work. and thanks to steve for his great forum.
Peace

[a]
starno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2005, 9:16 PM   #405

Sorry guys, I was in on this thread way in the beginning and then stuff came up... Just chimed in again and I see you guys figured it out. Gratz!

I went through the whole thread and decided to give the home-made tray a try. Here are my results.

a. I used artwork Mat board, it's almost exactly the same thicknessas a DVD, used two layers. It feeds great! Black mat board on top and a scrap piece for the bottom.

b. For reflectors I used aluminum foil in between the layers. Picks up fine, I DID NOT taper the areas around the reflectors either. I printed out the scan of the tray, taped it over the mat board and cut out the inner (non beveled) areas for the reflectors.

c. Glued the layers together with 3M Photo Mount spray adhesive. Should hold it pretty good.

d. Of course tweaked the firmware and the registry.

e. Downloaded the Canon LabelPrint software from the previously listed links.

f. Printed the DVD and BINGO! Out pops a BEAUTIFUL printed DVD!

Oneproblem I am still having is, the DVD does not seem to feed into the printer well. I need to "help" it through under the internal white rollers. No biggie at all, once it's going it works like a charm. I won't be investigating this really, if it works, don't fix it is what I say.

Anywho, just thought I'd give a heads up, say a little thank you for your persistence, and provide those that might need some ideas with another way of making a tray.

Thanks again...
kirky99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 1:16 AM   #406

kirky99 wrote:
Quote:
b. For reflectors I used aluminum foil in between the layers. Picks up fine, I DID NOT taper the areas around the reflectors either. I printed out the scan of the tray, taped it over the mat board and cut out the inner (non beveled) areas for the reflectors.
One problem I am still having is, the DVD does not seem to feed into the printer well. I need to "help" it through under the internal white rollers. No biggie at all, once it's going it works like a charm. I won't be investigating this really, if it works, don't fix it is what I say.
After reading that the reflector locations were listed wrong in the diagram I decided to repaint mine on my Epson tray. I copy and pasted the ruler listed on the tray image and used that to measure the location. I read reflector 1 being at 5mm, 2 at 22.75mm, and the last one at 117.25mm where the measurement is center. I used white oil based spray paint on my moded epson tray and successfully printed my first time. I have yet to test to see how centered my images are but unlike my first attempts it's seeing my reflectors.

I'm thinking since white spray paint worked... I can print using sticky poster sign paper and make for one accurate template, still such time as the black ink runs off the plastic.

Enclosed are my measurements for the reflectors. I used the pre existing image at http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/a...t.php?id=24727 and modified it. I welcome any feedback as to their accuracy.

Attached Images

Old May 29, 2005, 3:19 AM   #407

Hi. I'm from the Philippines and got an iP3000 from US for a bargain. When I found out it can't print CDs (which was one of the reasons I got it), I felt like kicking this printer. But thanks to all of you I was able to change the EEPROM settings, and then verify that CD printing is enabled (after reinstalling the driver from Canon Asia website). I use Mac OSX 10.3.9. I will try to order the original tray from Canon here and see if it indeed works. But there is a plastic cover where the tray is supposed to attached to, do I just use a small lever to pry it open?
axlvedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 6:13 AM   #408

Yes, it'll just pry out. There are little hook catches on each side, a little tweak and it should come straight out.
kirky99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 8:27 PM   #409

and there is also one in the middle for a total of three.
vandyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 9:06 PM   #410

Righto, I super imposed my modified the tray-b diagram over an image epson r200 tray in the event that someone would like a good point of reference. I took measurements for it's length from the existing reflectors clearly marked in red, where the diagram is clearly in blue. Proper with is -2mm on both sides, where the left side already has about 2.5mm tappered off but seems to have no ill effects

Note my prints are off to the -1.7mm left and -.4mm top. So either my reflectors are off as seen in the picture, or my data is off where they go, but it's in the ballpark. I welcome corrections.

[additional added 01-June-04]

1.Trim off 2mm from either of the tray. You'll note that there is an inlet located at the top right that measures about 2.5mm inward. Don't cut it, but it's useful as a point of reference. I used a dremmel with cut off disks with two clamps and a piece of wood as a straight edge. Accurate results might be enjoyed with an exact-o knife, belt sander, hand sander. The end result should be 131mm wide

2.Mark a line left to right 33mm from the edge of the CD holder or a distance of 9.82mm from the top edge of the center top alignment reflector. This should trim off most of the beveled edge but leaving a small amount of flat before the tray's valleys. Accuracy doesn't need to be 100% here, as any slight error will be compensated for by the alignment reflector. Cut as before.

3.Trimming the rear of the tray may not be necessary , but it's helpful to give you a guide as to how far to insert the tray into the printer. If you choose not to cut the bottom edge of the tray at least make a mark 146mm from the center of the CD holder, or 61.3mm from the bottom edge of the rear alignment reflector.

4.Using masking tape, first mask off a left to right line exactly at the outer edge of CD holder, and another piece of masking tape at a distance of 5.5mm parallel to the last piece of tape. Mask off from the right edge a distance of 2.5mm leaving a 5.5mm space and mask at 7mm. This should leave a 5.5mm square hole exposed. Mask again between 7mm and again after 20.5mm. Mask the area between 25mm and 115mm and finally mask the area from the left most edge till 120mm. This should leave 3 square holes center from right to left 5mm, 22.75mm, and 117.25mm. Mask the area top and bottom leaving these 5.5 spots unmasked. Use a bit of white spray paint. I used Zingers Kills orderless primer which sticks very well to this plastic, so well I had to use stripper to remove the alignment reflectors.

5.Let dry, and remove
Attached Images