Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 2, 2005, 8:07 PM   #471

I have a Pixma ip5000 and made my own tray. The lack of the extra rollers just means you have to push the tray up to the main white rollers when you get the "hit resume" message. The tray is automatically pulled in, aligned, printed and spit out. Nice.

Until "real" trays are readily available making your own is very easy.

Reading through all this was a daunting task. I was a bit confused about what was important and what wasn't. So here are a few points:

This DOES work perfectly with a Pixma ip5000. I was worried about the region changing procedure.

You do NOT need a new printer driver. The registry entries takes care of it.

You do NOT need to reduce the width of the tray on one end. That is, just make a rectangle shape 131mm X 146mm.

You do NOT need to make a bevel around the reflectors. You do need a bevel on the front edge to feed into the rollers of course.

I made my tray from two rectangular pieces, glued together. The top piece is black mat board (cardboard) .060" thick. Craft or art supply stores carry this. The bottom piece is cut from a "flexable cutting board" I found at my local discount store. It is a transulent tough plastic .022" thick. A plastic notebook cover might work too. I didn't measure those but they felt a bit thinner.

I cut both pieces using a paper cutter and the holes with an Xacto knife. I made a perfect bevel on the top mat with a "bevel cutter". Contact cement glues the two halves together. Total thickness is right at the recommended 2 mm. It took days of thinking but only minutes to actually make.
madtc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 8:27 PM   #472

madtc1 wrote:
Quote:
I made my tray from two rectangular pieces, glued together. The top piece is black mat board (cardboard) .060" thick. Craft or art supply stores carry this. The bottom piece is cut from a "flexable cutting board" I found at my local discount store. It is a transulent tough plastic .022" thick. A plastic notebook cover might work too. I didn't measure those but they felt a bit thinner.

I cut both pieces using a paper cutter and the holes with an Xacto knife. I made a perfect bevel on the top mat with a "bevel cutter". Contact cement glues the two halves together. Total thickness is right at the recommended 2 mm. It took days of thinking but only minutes to actually make.

Hey, you stole my idea! And it only took a few days! hehe Just kidding, yes, the mat board works, you are the second person to confirm this, I'm the first a few pages back. It's very easy to cut as well, almost like it was made for this task. Actually, I'm using two mat boards together and no feed problems.

Glad it worked...
kirky99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 9:22 PM   #473

Kurto2021 wrote:
Quote:
Hey...shut up you a$$.....I was bidding on that due to the fact that I can't get a perfect print with mine....now it is too rich for my blood when you factor in the $13 shipping the guy wants.

needs to shift it down if you look at the center ring it is not centered....any ideas via software????

Yes, I have an idea. Just read the reply I made to you 2 pages back. :roll:
CanonFodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 9:25 PM   #474

Looking back I see I did "steal" your idea :-). However:

kirky99 wrote:
Quote:

Oneproblem I am still having is, the DVD does not seem to feed into the printer well. I need to "help" it through under the internal white rollers. No biggie at all, once it's going it works like a charm. I won't be investigating this really, if it works, don't fix it is what I say.

I think my bottom plastic piece just makes it perfect. It gives the beveled leading edge just the right "bite" to wedge between the rollers slightly and does not require any further help. It should be more durable too. I can't imagine the Canon tray could work any better.

Still, using two pieces of mat board is even easier and as you say "no biggie at all".
madtc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2005, 9:41 PM   #475

Kurto2021 wrote:
Quote:
Hey...shut up you a$$.....I was bidding on that due to the fact that I can't get a perfect print with mine....now it is too rich for my blood when you factor in the $13 shipping the guy wants.
needs to shift it down if you look at the center ring it is not centered....any ideas via software????
Sorry dude... that link has been published in this forum before. This guy has been selling the trays for a couple of months now. Didn't think it was a big deal, esp since I would have bid up to $20 on a factory tray.

Regarding centering... this can be done in the CD-LabelPrint with ease. I've not tested any other software to see if this adjustment window has popped up. If you had a flatbad scanner you could use one of the templates to see how many mm your marks are off from the diagram. Otherwise you can do what I did and start adjusting 1mm at a time, then .5mm, then .1mm at a time. Your image to me looks off -2.3mm top but I can not be accurate as it's not a dead on image.

Attached Images

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 9:23 AM   #476

CanonFodder wrote:
Quote:
Kurto2021 wrote:
Quote:

Yes, I have an idea. Just read the reply I made to you 2 pages back. :roll:
crap I didn't see that...sorry about reposting...I don't know why I never noticed the adjustments there....Anyway all is good.
Kurto2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 7:36 PM   #477

Anyone mind posting up the CD Labelmaker software or sending to me @ kyle_nextel#hotmail.com (change # to @)? I can't reach that Taiwan site.
kylek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2005, 8:19 PM   #478

Just out of curiosity is it just that the disks don't take the ink very well or maybe the type of disks that I have but the colors on my printed disks are a little washed.
The blacks are a somewhat grayed out which is probably the most notable thing on the disks. So far I have used a Fuji and a Memorex white printable disk. I am going to order some silver printables next week, hopefully they will be better.
Kurto2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 3:00 AM   #479

Kurto2021 wrote:
Quote:
Just out of curiosity is it just that the disks don't take the ink very well or maybe the type of disks that I have but the colors on my printed disks are a little washed.
The blacks are a somewhat grayed out which is probably the most notable thing on the disks. So far I have used a Fuji and a Memorex white printable disk. I am going to order some silver printables next week, hopefully they will be better.
The silver printables when printed look like the holographic DVDs. Some like it, some don't.

soundforbjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2005, 4:50 AM   #480

kylek29 wrote:
Quote:
Anyone mind posting up the CD Labelmaker software or sending to me @ kyle_nextel#hotmail.com (change # to @)? I can't reach that Taiwan site.
The Taiwan site is back up.

It's a tad large to post here, about 9mb.

As Taiwan site was down I decided to take it upon my self to test the Epson cd-print software. Unfortunatly it printed the image a good 3 inches left of where where the disc lays in the Canon. I thought this very odd as IIRC the Epson R800's CD tray is more centered then the R200, so you would expect the software to be adjustable more than 3cm. Unfortunatly I can't find the R800 Print Cd online.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote