Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 2, 2004, 2:44 AM   #41

Azzkikr1337 wrote:
Quote:
I'm sorry to disappoint you all, but it's the firmware that will remove the cd printing option once the printer is connected and ready to print. Even if you install non-USA drivers, the cd printing option will not be visible once it establishes connection with printer. I once installed the drivers first on another port, and I can clearly see the printable disk option, but that didn't help much as it was not communicating with the printer. I will say this again, the firmware cannot be altered unless you know how to write and flash your own firmware.
This might be because, the location(also timezone)on your computer will be set to US region. Change it to some asian/euro location and give it a try.

hithesh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 2:01 PM   #42

I really don't think we should give up. I just installed my US IP4000 with drivers from the Canon Europe website. BeforeI even connected the printer's USB, I checked the choices for printer source and there was no option for CD cartridge. So I suspect the poster insisting we need to mess with the firmware may not be correct. Thedriverswhether US or Euro don't have the CD cartridge option to begin with.

If you read the HKCDprinting manualit asks you to use a software called CD-labelPrint. I think what we need to do is get a hold of this software that comes with the Europe and Asian printers.

Further more, I stopped by the Asian PC store and inspected the IP3000 with CD printing capability. The US blocked CD tray is replaced with one that has a plastic bar roller that sits slightly higher with small rollers underneath. It's a simple piece of plastic (I took a picture if anybody is interested), so simply removing the US one is doable. I'm pretty sure there are no sensers on that roller so how would your software no the difference between a US and non US one? I doubt they would go so far as to id and place different chips in the printer. Maybe Canon simply doesn't include the CD tray and software and that's it. That basically complies with not providing the CD printing feature in the USA.
AlvinLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2004, 2:23 PM   #43

AlvinLee wrote:
Quote:
I really don't think we should give up. I just installed my US IP4000 with drivers from the Canon Europe website. BeforeI even connected the printer's USB, I checked the choices for printer source and there was no option for CD cartridge. So I suspect the poster insisting we need to mess with the firmware may not be correct. Thedriverswhether US or Euro don't have the CD cartridge option to begin with.
"Firmware" refers does not refer to drivers that you are installing on your PC. Firmware is the Operating system installed on the device itself - in this case the Printer.

When you use the install CD/drivers, all you are doing is just updating you PC to enable it to talk to you printer.

So what you are needing to do is find a way to access the chip on the printer with the OS and flashing it.

I have the Ip 3000 (UK version). If you want a copy of the install CD, you can paypal me a couple bucks and I'll mail it you. Its a 500MB ISO,and dont have bandwith nor webspace to upload it.

But honestly I dont think it will help at all.
skagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 12:15 AM   #44

Tell you why I suspect it's not a firmware issue. Azzkiker1337 said he once installed the drivers on another port and could clearly see the printable disk option. Well if his drivers was pointing to the wrong port yet the CD print option appeared, then I would find it hard to believe that a firmware would be installed in the US version that would "tell" the driver to remove the CD print option. Your firmware now has to initiate and tell the driver to do this. It's no longer a passive play where the driver is looking for an ID before it decides to allow this option.

Without opening the CD-LabelPrinter software; but as you are now browsing this forum, simply click File/PageSetup/Source (assuming your Canon is the default printer, otherwise select it as your Printer), Do you already see the CD printer option? How was Azzkiker1337 able to clearly see this option when it was pointing at another port?

By the way, I'm pretty sure the non US plastic bar roller is not electronically connected. All other functions (sensors, roll feeders for duplex printing) are already there. As far as hardware modules, nothing is missing. All the commands telling the printer what to do is sitting on the driver side and basically no hardware is missing.

Thanks for offering a copy of the disk. But I'll probably be able to get one is Asia in a few days. I think our problem is that we have folks who have the European version which works, and folks who have the American version which can't print directly to CD. What we don't have and need for futher analysis is someone who has an American version with a European driver installed, CD tray , and CD-LabelPrinter software installed.

By the way I have thought of an alternative so that the poor American's don't have to go about buying a foreign version with a transformer (uggh, I hate that). I tried last night and have seem to be successful but was too tired to verify.

Anyway, Skagen please inform me whether the CD option already pops by simply looking at printer properties. Or do you need to run CD-LabelPrinter. It will help further along my analysis.
Old Dec 4, 2004, 8:16 PM   #45

ok smart guy. If you want proof, here it is. Look at image 1. I originally installed Canon IP5000 into a different port. Then I started up my printer. Now you see a copy 1 description of the IP5000 which is the ACTUAL printer that is connected. Canon reinstalled a new printer for the IP5000. Now look at images 2 and 3. Do you have something to say AlvinLee?

Originally Installed Drive

USA Version
Azzkikr1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 9:43 PM   #46

I'm in an interesting situation here. I currently live in Japan, where they are selling the Pixus ip4100. This unit appears to be exactly the same model as the Pixma ip4000 being sold in the US, but with the DVD/CD printing. I'm gathering that this makes it identical to the ip4000 being sold in Europe. I'm tempted to buy it, but as my Japanese skills leave a lot to be desired, I'm afraid of getting stuck with Japanese-only driver and software. I wonder if I would be able to use the English European driver and software for this printer? Anybody care to speculate?
phadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2004, 10:02 PM   #47

Okay thanks asskicker. Some azz, erh areas I'm confused about. If the new and default port is now Copy1, why is the orginal port still at ready, but your new Copy1 port offline?

Did you install US drivers for both original and Copy1?

The orignal port which you showed CD print option, even though it says printer ready, there was no connection?

I guess I'm wondering since I also installed my IP4000 and I used Euro drivers, why don't I get the same option when I take the printer offline?

Was the original port a parallel port and the Copy1 a USB port?

Besides the Media Type showing the CD printer option, Does the Paper Source also show a different intput for CD tray?

Old Dec 5, 2004, 9:57 AM   #48

For Phadams in Japan, that would be even more interesting. A Japanese IP4000 but installed with US drivers. If the CD print option pops up, then the firmware thinking makes sense. If he's willing that is, otherwise using the Euro driver should work. Isn't Japan 110 volts?

Many drivers install with multiple languages, so check with your Canon dealer if that's the case, then you don't even need to use foreign drivers. But then we'll never get to know how to solve this problem.

After installing the driver, there must be a configuration setting which indicates what kind of IP printer is installed. Perhaps at this config setting one could edit out the US version and type in a non US version ID. Opening the setup file called ip4000 shows a list of setup data, of which it says ConfigFile=CNMUI64.DLL which is now installed under windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\canonip4000f 4f6 folder. I don't know how to read this file so if anybody knows and can take a look, maybe we can find something.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 10:43 AM   #49

I used Hong Kong drivers for this. The copy one is actually connected to a printer and that spawned itself once I connected to the printer to the PC. The original is not going to do anything because it's pointing to a port where it think it's on 24/7
Azzkikr1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2004, 11:33 AM   #50

So if you disconnected the copy1 printer, do you think you would get the same result as the original?

Nero Cover design is difficult to learn if you don't do it there way. Does anyone have an easier program for label printing? For example, how do you get it to print just the label instead of the whole gammut of cover design. It's also seems difficult to get a simple jpg photo and bring it down to thumbnail size. I'm testing EZ Label Xpress and it's a lot easier to just print labels, bringing in photos and resizing was just as simple as well. However while loading some photos, it froze so I'm concerned about stability. Am I the only one that finds Nero Cover design confusing?