Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 15, 2005, 2:16 PM   #551

digiguy wrote:
Quote:
weapon wrote:
Quote:
Hey jon. Will that be a buy it now price or auction? I have seen the tray go as high as fifty alone on ebay.

Are you going to take orders directly for users here on steve's? You would be able to skip all the ebay fees and take paypal directly. If so, I will gladly pay the $30 but I am not going to get in a bidding war on ebay.

I couldn't agree more....
Jon, I agree too. It would be much easier if you sell them to people that want them here in the forum, and if you have more left then you can put them on ebay.I will gladly pay $30 for the parts.
mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 2:57 PM   #552

daswunder wrote:
Quote:
Also, your original auction says "Seller will pay shipping costs"...is this right, you'll pay??
Quote:
ACK! thanks was a typo! I work third shift now so I am a tad bit sleepy.
Quote:
As previously mentioned, The reason I am using auction is, I don't have enough for everyone. If I did. I would gladly do a buy it now. Honestly I don't even know what I would sell them for.
Chousden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 8:33 PM   #553

Chousden wrote:
Quote:
As previously mentioned,* The reason I am using auction is, I don't have enough for everyone.* If I did. I would gladly do a buy it now.
I think listing your whole supply at once in a multiple item or "Dutch" auction would give everyone a fair chance to get one without the risk of a few top bidders driving up the price.

For those unfamiliar with the format, with this type of auction everyone pays the same price as the lowest successful bidder, instead of the highest.
jonbgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 9:01 PM   #554

I am not sure how a dutch auction goes but I am pretty sure that with all three items in the same auction it will far exceed the $50 I saw for just the tray. Let alone the $30 you say that it cost.

I would guess that you will make at least double your estimate in the dutch auction. Good for you but bad for us.

I will watch the dutch auction and wait to see.

Hopefully someone will give up the contact info so I can just order for myself.
weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 10:24 PM   #555

jonbgood wrote:
Quote:
For those unfamiliar with the format, with this type of auction everyone pays the same price as the lowest successful bidder, instead of the highest.
Is that how a dutch auction works?

I thought it worked more like this...

User has 3 items for sale. One person bids $3, another $4, and two others at $5 and $6. At auction end high bidders are $6, $5, and $4 and as a result they pay $6, $5, $4 and the $3 person is out of luck.

Are you saying the that for example everyone would pay $4.00 rather than 4, 5, and 6?
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2005, 11:11 PM   #556

I believe jonbgood was suggesting Chousden put his trays on a Dutch auction, Not that he was going to sell his partsthat way.
soundforbjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 2:11 AM   #557

zakezuke wrote:
Quote:
Is that how a dutch auction works?

I thought it worked more like this...

User has 3 items for sale. One person bids $3, another $4, and two others at $5 and $6. At auction end high bidders are $6, $5, and $4 and as a result they pay $6, $5, $4 and the $3 person is out of luck.

Are you saying the that for example everyone would pay $4.00 rather than 4, 5, and 6?
Your last statement is correct. Every winner pays the amount of the lowest successful bid, in this case $4, even though their maximum bid was higher.

To see how this could work in the real world, take a look at:
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=6773631701
This tray eventually sold for $48, but if this had been a Dutch auction for 10 trays, every bidder would have gotten one for only $5, since there were only 10 different bidders.
jonbgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 3:52 AM   #558

jonbgood wrote:

Quote:
Your last statement is correct. Every winner pays the amount of the lowest successful bid, in this case $4, even though their maximum bid was higher.

To see how this could work in the real world, take a look at:
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=6773631701
This tray eventually sold for $48, but if this had been a Dutch auction for 10 trays, every bidder would have gotten one for only $5, since there were only 10 different bidders.
But if my last statement was correct, would not the tray in your last example be $15.00, as there were only 10 units, over 10 bids, and the last successful bid being well the 10th one?

Perhpas i'm not understanding the dutch system... it seems under your example I could go in there and bid several million and only be accountable for $5.00, where I would think that under such a system, a huge bid would knock the last *successful* bid up a notch giving added incentive for people to bid more.

Old Jun 16, 2005, 4:47 AM   #559

The true Dutch auction (used in the flower auctions in Holland) is that the auctioner starts with a very high price,reducing this in stages untillhe gets a bid, There is only ONE bidder in a Dutch auction,this bidder then chooses the quantity they require,the remainder can then be purchased by others at this price,it is over 50 years since I have seen this ,I may have got it Wrong.
I can not see how this could work other than at a public auction,too much trust required.

As I live in the part of the world where Canon CD printing is allowed this thread has amazed me at the tenacity of you guys,I have read every thread .As the happy owner of (two) epson R210s it is academic to me.
Good luck in your quest.
fperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 6:09 AM   #560

fperry wrote:
Quote:
As I live in the part of the world where Canon CD printing is allowed this thread has amazed me at the tenacity of you guys,I have read every thread .As the happy owner of (two) epson R210s it is academic to me.
I'm an unhappy owner of an epson r200 :P

An all fairness, I find the Canon ip3000 to be a tad lean on the colors, and I have to peform more tweaking to get CDs to look as nice as as the Epson does by default. Same with the mp760. For example, I can use TDK printables and they apear slightly light, where if I use Fuji printables they are very pale. I also find the stock settings to be very accurate, where the Canon I do have to tweek with the color settings more. Most noteable, I can get away with printing on non-printables and have the text be legible, even if looking a bit dotty and takes a month to become dry. The canon well the ink pools, smears, and is not a viable solution.

But, the epson had to go to the shop for a clogged head and the diaper overflowed. I was not overly happy with the fact that I was purging as much ink as I was using. I wasn't pleased by the fact that I had to stick a paper town in after every 5th print or so to mop up the waste ink at both sides as it pooled, got back on the head, dripped and splashed randomly everywhere. I looked at the price of OEM ink and discovered that I could buy the ip3000 with ink for $15 less, or $35 less if I got that rebate. I could detach the head rather than having to hit the change cart button and thread a windex soaked paper towel down and around to clear a clog. But the bigest kicker was not having to deal with refillable carts that required so much negative pressure that any accident resulted in a fountain or explosion of ink everywhere.

So while in many ways I did actually prefer the Epson, I had so much trouble with it that buying something different seemed a just as accidemic even if it required using a hack saw.