Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 16, 2005, 11:08 AM   #561

mantis wrote:
Quote:
digiguy wrote:
Quote:
weapon wrote:
Quote:
Hey jon. Will that be a buy it now price or auction? I have seen the tray go as high as fifty alone on ebay.

Are you going to take orders directly for users here on steve's? You would be able to skip all the ebay fees and take paypal directly. If so, I will gladly pay the $30 but I am not going to get in a bidding war on ebay.

I couldn't agree more....
Jon, I agree too. It would be much easier if you sell them to people that want them here in the forum, and if you have more left then you can put them on ebay.I will gladly pay $30 for the parts.
Ditto! I am really getting tired of the bidding wars on eBay for these things. I've participated in at least 3 already. I think I dropped out at around $44. It's not even so much the cost that bothers me. It's all the waiting - and then someone else outbids you at the end. Very frustrating.:angry: I've been bidding on these things for weeks, willing to pay around $50 with shipping, and what have I got to show for it? No tray, just a lot of wasted time and frustration. (On the up side, I guess I still have my $50.)

I'd been hoping someone would offer these to us unfortunate Americans for a reasonable price and, even more important than the price to me - no more waiting for auctions to end, only to find out you were outbid again.

Jon, I want to echo the request to offer your parts here first, and then put any left overs on e-bay. I would gladly PayPal (can that be used as a verb?)you $30 (or $40 or even $50)today for a guaranteed spot on your list when the parts do come in. Anything to avoid all the anticipation and ultimately the bitterdisappointmentof bidding for these things on eBay. Jon, you have the power tomake a bunch of us here very happy.:-):-):G:-D

I have nothing against those who are putting these on eBay one at a time. Right now, the demand far out-weighs the supply. Get what you can while you can get it - it's the free market at work. And some of you mayneed the extra money more than I do. Myself, if I had something like this to offer, I'd feel better offering them here first. I'd be happy to just recover my costs. The extra $20 or so each I mightget from eBay wouldn't really make a difference in my life. I've been following this thread since the beginning. I'd really like to see all of us here who want themget our trays first.
Mawdryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 1:23 PM   #562

So far I've seen at least 20 requests to buy the parts for $30 or even more, but I will only have 10 for sale. Canon does not sell them in the USA, and even in Europe they only sell them in quantities to registered dealers and repair shops. I found a company that sells Canon replacement parts to individuals in limited quantities with a hefty charge for shipping and handling. From what I've read, others struggle with the same problem, so unless someone manages to get a lot of them, demand will exceed supply. Now the question is, who gets them.

Obviously the suggestion of setting up a sign-up list won't work, because there are not enough parts for everyone who wants to sign up. The problem with individual eBay auctions is, that you end up with 2 or 3 people with deep pockets trying to outbid each other. Offering them all at once in a Dutch auction gives everyone a fair chance to get one at the same price as the lowest successful bidder, not the highest. For those who still don't understand the format, please take a look at the rules on eBay, I'm tired of explaining it.

I mentioned earlier, that I'm only interested in recovering my cost, not to make a living out of this, so if someone figures out a fair method of selling 10 items to 20+ people who want one, without getting anyone upset, please post it here.¬* And no, I don't want to set up an on-line lottery.
jonbgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 1:36 PM   #563

Jonbgood,the dutch action sounds fine to me I have bought some items on ebay using that method and it worked out good for me.I will be bidding as soon as you give notice of the auction.

A big thanks to you forgoing out of your way to help out.
paiger651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 3:18 PM   #564

jonbgood wrote:
Quote:
So far I've seen at least 20 requests to buy the parts for $30 or even more, but I will only have 10 for sale. Canon does not sell them in the USA, and even in Europe they only sell them in quantities to registered dealers and repair shops. I found a company that sells Canon replacement parts to individuals in limited quantities with a hefty charge for shipping and handling. From what I've read, others struggle with the same problem, so unless someone manages to get a lot of them, demand will exceed supply. Now the question is, who gets them.

Obviously the suggestion of setting up a sign-up list won't work, because there are not enough parts for everyone who wants to sign up. The problem with individual eBay auctions is, that you end up with 2 or 3 people with deep pockets trying to outbid each other. Offering them all at once in a Dutch auction gives everyone a fair chance to get one at the same price as the lowest successful bidder, not the highest. For those who still don't understand the format, please take a look at the rules on eBay, I'm tired of explaining it.

I mentioned earlier, that I'm only interested in recovering my cost, not to make a living out of this, so if someone figures out a fair method of selling 10 items to 20+ people who want one, without getting anyone upset, please post it here. And no, I don't want to set up an on-line lottery.
Quote:
thanks for all your work for this Jon, and I understand and I think everybody understand that there is no way, that we all will be satisfied. I think a dutch auction would be the best you can do. thank you again.
mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 4:57 PM   #565

oops
weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 5:05 PM   #566

Damn!Now the message board is screwed up on my end. I can't double space between paragraphs and the background is black with white type in my reply box.My paragraphs are being crushed into one long sentence.¬* WTH???!@!!

Edit: Had to switch to explorer to get it to work correctly. Maybe there is a bug in safari. Something to make note of ops.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 5:11 PM   #567

Mawdryn wrote:
Quote:
Ditto! I am really getting tired of the bidding wars on eBay for these things. I've participated in at least 3 already. I think I dropped out at around $44. It's not even so much the cost that bothers me. It's all the waiting - and then someone else outbids you at the end. Very frustrating.:angry: I've been bidding on these things for weeks, willing to pay around $50 with shipping, and what have I got to show for it? No tray, just a lot of wasted time and frustration. (On the up side, I guess I still have my $50.)
no more waiting for auctions to end, only to find out you were outbid again
Quote:

:!:
CHECK YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGES
:!:

TVUONGPHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 5:21 PM   #568

jonbgood -

I¬*appreciate all of the legwork that you have done on this matter. I better understand how a dutch auction works now and it seems like the only fair option.

I wish there was another way but I just do not seem to see a quick answer right now.

Like I said I will check out the dutch auction, bid and hope for the best.

After this auction are you going to order more?¬*

(jonbgood - This is not directed toward you but toward the thread in general. So don't take offense. You are in a tough spot and I understand your position.)

<START RANT>

* The hypothetical¬*question is: If those that are able to get the parts did not want to make a profit, why would they not just post the info on how to order for all of us to use? The information seems to be worth more than the items.¬*

It seems to me that this undertaking was a massive collaboration by some the smartest people on this board. It was a community project for the good of the whole. But as soon as the word "profit" entered the fray, the word "community" got shunted and "capitalism" took its place.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for making a profit and I think you should make some cash for your trouble. But knowledge is power and so few on this board have the knowledge so they naturally have the all power.

I liken this project to a puzzle, we (you know who you are! Minus myself, I came in too late to help) all helped put the puzzle together but now we are missing the final piece to complete the masterpiece and rightfully gain back what was taken away from our Pixmas.

But the few have decided to hold out the last piece and once again deny the many what we justly deserve.¬*

How does that old proverb go? Teach a man to fish...¬*

<END RANT>
Old Jun 16, 2005, 6:14 PM   #569

Next auction up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6778367478

As for the dutch auction, After I sell what I said I would sell like I stated, in the original post stating I have 11. I will go to Dutch format for the Canon trays.
Chousden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 6:28 PM   #570

weapon wrote:
Quote:
* The hypothetical¬*question is: If those that are able to get the parts did not want to make a profit, why would they not just post the info on how to order for all of us to use? The information seems to be worth more than the items.¬*

How does that old proverb go? Teach a man to fish...
I don't know where the other people buy their parts, but I'm only able to get them because I have friends in Europe who order and prepay them for me. My source is no secret, it's posted on www.canon.nl under Service, but they only ship COD or prepaid by local bank transfer inside the Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg, and we were only able to get a limited supply this way.

To stay with your proverb, you know how to fish now, but unless you're close enough to the water it ain't gonna do you any good.

There's another aspect to this: If someone found a backdoor to order the parts directly from Canon, and published it, and all of a sudden they get hundreds of orders that way, don't you think they would get suspicious and close that door?

PS Posting is messed up in Safari, don't know what happened, but I'm having the same problem and had to switch to MSIE too.
jonbgood is offline   Reply With Quote