Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 16, 2005, 6:39 PM   #571

Chousden wrote:
Quote:
Next auction up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6778367478

As for the dutch auction, After I sell what I said I would sell like I stated, in the original post stating I have 11. I will go to Dutch format for the Canon trays.

You had better edit your shipping policy about the Seller will pay shipping charges or you may be stuck paying them by order of EBay.
soundforbjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 7:54 PM   #572

Does anybody know where I can download the scan of the original Canon cd tray?
digiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2005, 9:16 PM   #573

digiguy wrote:
Quote:
Does anybody know where I can download the scan of the original Canon cd tray?

It was in one of my previous posts, image courtesy of _Alex_

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/a...t.php?id=24824

CanonFodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 5:51 AM   #574

soundforbjt wrote:
Quote:
Chousden wrote:
Quote:
Next auction up.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6778367478

As for the dutch auction, After I sell what I said I would sell like I stated, in the original post stating I have 11. I will go to Dutch format for the Canon trays.
Quote:

You had better edit your shipping policy about the Seller will pay shipping charges or you may be stuck paying them by order of EBay.
Quote:
Crap I thought I did edit it on the 2nd and 3rd one. Oh well, I can't revise it after someone bids on it. Guess I got stuck with the shipping costs on the first 3.
Chousden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 11:55 AM   #575

Thanks CannonFodder for that link.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 12:17 PM   #576

jonbgood wrote:
Quote:
...if someone figures out a fair method of selling 10 items to 20+ people who want one, without getting anyone upset, please post it here.
:idea:I've got the answer- a time share! For $1, people can buy use of 1 tray for 1 week per year. The more shares you buy, the more time you get the tray. And for $52, someone could get full time use, provided there is enough time left to be sold. To keep people from simply snatching up 52 weeks at a time and running out before everyone gets a chance, you could sell the shares in rounds with a limit of 10 shares. Once everybody who wants any time at all has bought in, you could open round two, and then round three and so on until all shares are sold. People can sell theirunused share to others,even at a profit if the demand is there. This system works for vacation property. Why not here? It's brilliant! Of course, someone would have to keep track of who is supposed to have which tray at which time. And then there's the issue of who pays for the traveling time (and expense) to move the trays between members. And what if a tray gets damaged or lost? Oh well, let's not ruin a great idea with details. This is the best idea I've had all day.

Just in case anyone didn't figure it out, the previous paragraph is meant as a joke.

Seriously, the most fair way would be a Dutch auction on eBay. Either that, or a simple "buy it now auction" (I think those can be set up for multiple copies). With the "buy it now", it would simply be a matter of the first 10 people (or however many copies you offer) to pay your price get them, without having to wait a couple days for the auction to end. Your choice - either would be as fair as you can make it.

I do want to thank everyone here who was involved in figuring this thing out. And a special thank you to those who have gone to extraordinary measures to try and get trays for the rest of us. If only Jesus were here... We could really use another loaves and fishes type miracle with these trays.

Mawdryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 12:32 PM   #577

Myfirst tray order got screwed up by the person I ordered with or I would have some today.:XSo now I have to wait for the second order to get here (end of next week, I hope!) and had to re-order my first order!!

So, to those on my list, it will be a little longer thanks to an idiot saleperson!

soundforbjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2005, 12:59 PM   #578

I finally put together a tray and yes, it works. And very well too!

I used cardboard from a box that was just over 1 mm thick for the bottom layer and cardboard from the back of a wide-ruled notebook that was just under 1 mm thick for the top layer.

I made a template based on the tray scan by _Alex_. I made no measurements at all. I taped the template to my thinner cardboard and using an exacto knife I cut out the registration squares and the CD circle. As a cutting guide I used a straight edge for the squares and a junk CD for the circle. I then cut the straight edges of the tray layers. To get a nice clean cut I made a sequence of cuts going deeper each time.

I taped some aluminum foil to the bottom layer in the area of the squares. Then I taped the the top layer to the bottom layer. I crushed the leading edge of the makeshift tray and taped it tightly together. This allows it to easily slide under the white rollers inside the printer. The overall thickness of my tray is 2 mm.

I placed a discmakers printable CD in the shallow cutout of my tray. I opened CD-LabelPrint and made a quick label with a graphic and some text. I tried to print but the printer ejected the tray with an error that the tray or printable disc was not inserted. I remembered reading that the tray had to be black. I figured the black only needed to be around the registration squares for proper reflection of the foil. With a dry erase marker I colored some of the cardboard and tried printing again. This time it worked. I don't know how much of the tray needs to be black. I should have colored it incrementally adding more as necessary after testing each time. Note the dry erase marker did not stick to the clear tape. I could've used a magic marker instead.

I didn't bother to put the arrows on the tray. I just inserted the tray until it stopped against the white rollers inside the printer. The arrows will line up when the tray is inserted as far as it will go. So they're really not necessary. When the actual printing started the white rollers lifted up and pulled the tray into the registration area. That's why it's important to make the leading edge thin (or beveled) so it'll go under the white rollers without jamming or causing any problems. I also rounded the corners of the leading edge to reduce any friction.

If you notice in the pictures I did not make the offset cut as it is not necessary. Matter of fact not having the offset keeps the tray from slipping side to side.

Attached Images

Old Jun 17, 2005, 1:24 PM   #579

Tray in printer.
Attached Images

Old Jun 17, 2005, 1:24 PM   #580

Finished disc.
Attached Images