Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 7, 2004, 3:33 PM   #51

Phadams: Last year I purchased a Pixus 560i in Japan. The drivers available online from the Canon Japanese site will install in Japanese or English depending only on the Regional Settings (within the Control Panel)for Unicode characters. If it's set to English, the driver should load in English. Try downloading the driver and there should be a Japanese readme file and an English readme file. I think the driver software that comes with the printer also has both options.

The only issue is that the Direct Print CD software is only in Japanese. It wasn't too hard to figure out once it was installed, but you may be able to order an English Language version from Canon.

There's a Canon 1 store in Shinjuku, Tokyo, across the street from the Keio Plaza Hotel (North side of the Hotel, I think). If you have someone to help with the language they may be able to order the English software for you.
DaiButsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 9:28 PM   #52

There is an alternative! If one reviews all the info on this forum, one could actually deduce a bypass around this American dilemma. I have not perfected it yet but I might as well give everybody the basics and they can start experimenting.

1. Clue one, the double side printing feature.

2. Clue two, printing stops when you lift the cover.

So there are basically two ways to do this;

A. use a simple cover design software that can print a test template on a regular letter size paper. Refeed the template paper face down in the lower cartridge so that it will reappear facing up. For print setting, set to envelope for media (we need thickest paper possible. Any media thicker?), set paper source from the lower cartridge. As soon as you hear the paper feed, lift the cover. The paper will have stopped with about 1 inch sticking beyond the white rollers and you will see the beginning of your template (may help to mark the mid point before feeding the template. Open the backside of the double side printing door in the rear. Aim best as you can and slide your printable DVD/CD face up. You may need another CD to help push the printable DVD/CD all the way through so it reaches the template. Close the cover and it will print your DVD!

Tips: must use envelope or thicker media with your template paper size otherwise inkjet head will be too low and smear. Canon may ask are you sure about such setting? click Ignore.

You can also load from the front, but it's best to have a template where the paper has fed half way through, so that the underside of the DVD is protected by the template as you slide over the rollers.

Part of the skill is stopping the paper feed at the right time. Aligning the DVD onto the template accurately without moving the template about. It is a rather tight fit, so once the DVD in wedged in, there's not much room to align.

Good luck everybody and please post suggestions for further improvement. If the procedure is easy enough, we've just managed to bypass Phillips, CD tray, firmware, software,et all!!!
AlvinLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 9:48 AM   #53

AlvinLee wrote:
Quote:
Part of the skill is stopping the paper feed at the right time. Aligning the DVD onto the template accurately without moving the template about. It is a rather tight fit, so once the DVD in wedged in, there's not much room to align.

I don't think that will give you perfect prints everytime.
Azzkikr1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2004, 11:34 AM   #54

You'd be surprised how accurate it is when you place the DVD disc right on the edges of the outline. It's also easy to lift the cover as soon as you hear paper loading, the paper will always edge up 1 inch past the white rollers perfectly before starting to print the DVD. Mark the top edge of the circular template, aim before inserting the DVD and it can easily align perfect.

I thought you'd be happy instead of having a stranded DVD printerless Pixma printer.

By the way, can you answer my previous question, if you now disconnect you Copy 1 printer, will the CD print feature reappear like the way it did for the original port connection?

Old Dec 8, 2004, 11:47 PM   #55

AlvinLee wrote:
Quote:
You'd be surprised how accurate it is when you place the DVD disc right on the edges of the outline. It's also easy to lift the cover as soon as you hear paper loading, the paper will always edge up 1 inch past the white rollers perfectly before starting to print the DVD. Mark the top edge of the circular template, aim before inserting the DVD and it can easily align perfect.

I thought you'd be happy instead of having a stranded DVD printerless Pixma printer.

By the way, can you answer my previous question, if you now disconnect you Copy 1 printer, will the CD print feature reappear like the way it did for the original port connection?

One of my friends is going to Hong Kong and I asked him to pick up a printer there. As formy currentversion, I might sell it to someone if possible. To answer your question, the CD print feature will not reappear again if I disconnect and change ports.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 4:05 AM   #56

Why not try my bypass method? It maybe more simple than you realize and you can try it right now this very minute instead of waiting for your friend to lug over a HK version that needs a power transformer. At the very least get it from say Taiwan where the voltage is the same as USA. I've seen the 3000 on the street for about $130. I should buy it just for the sake of all the time I've spent investigating this issue, but I hate wasting equipment and I want to make my US 4000 version also handle CD printing feature. Unfortunately I like solving problems more than they are worth at times.

Did the first original setting ever have an actual US PIXMA ever connected? If not how was the driver even installed successfully? At the final stage of installation, it needs to read and connect to the printer to complete the installation.

Does anybody what media setting is the highest for thick media 1.37mm?

Old Dec 9, 2004, 9:23 AM   #57

You should be able to install the second (non-US) driver by manually setting the port. If the port that you want isn't listed, just set it to one of the LPT ports, the driver should install, then go to the Printers section of the control panel, select the properties, select the Port tab and select the port you really want. It should be listed and associated with the US driver. You can assign both drivers to the same port since there's no "real" conflict here. The US andnon-US driver should nowbeavailable.

Old Dec 9, 2004, 11:49 AM   #58

AlvinLee wrote:
Quote:
Why not try my bypass method? It maybe more simple than you realize and you can try it right now this very minute instead of waiting for your friend to lug over a HK version that needs a power transformer. At the very least get it from say Taiwan where the voltage is the same as USA. I've seen the 3000 on the street for about $130. I should buy it just for the sake of all the time I've spent investigating this issue, but I hate wasting equipment and I want to make my US 4000 version also handle CD printing feature. Unfortunately I like solving problems more than they are worth at times.

Did the first original setting ever have an actual US PIXMA ever connected? If not how was the driver even installed successfully? At the final stage of installation, it needs to read and connect to the printer to complete the installation.

Does anybody what media setting is the highest for thick media 1.37mm?

Taiwan doesn't have any PIXMA printers
Old Dec 9, 2004, 3:16 PM   #59

Thanks for the great info! Sounds like I wouldn't have any trouble with the Japanese version after all. Unfortunately (and I apologize if I let down anyone in the forum), after carefully evaluating my options, I decided to go with the US model, sans DVD/CD printing, since that model was available to me as well. Ultimately it came down to cost -- I could get the US model for $145 (and pay no tax), whereas the Japanese ip4100 costs 24800 yen -- about $248 -- on sale (not including tax). More than a $100 premium is a lot to pay for just that one feature, nice though it may be. I'm happy to hear about the driver information, though. Even though the disc labeling s/w is Japanese only, I wonder if third party s/w would work?
phadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2004, 4:30 PM   #60

Ifyou use theJapanese driver some third-party CD printingsoftware can be used, but it takes time to develop a template to get everything to print out just right. TheCanon softwareknows how to access the CDslot/tray without any issues. Third party software simplyopens up a page the size of the CD tray. Then it's trial and error to get things lined up. This of course was using the Japanese model printer with the CD function.

Again,my experience is with a 560i (Japanese version) and a US i860. I've installedthe Japanese drivers on the i860and tried using theCD printing hardware from the 560i, which is the same for both models. UnfortunatelyI haven't been able to get the US model to print CDs, yet. So far it will only make some grinding noises as if it's trying to pull the CD tray in, but nothing actually happens. I need to spend some more time with it to try and figure this out, but it appears that there is somefirmware issue that cannot be corrected, even with a driver thatprovides the CD printing feature.