Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 17, 2005, 11:02 PM   #591

Thank you digiguy!!!! You gave me the hint I need. I made my tray from black plexiglass but the printer rejected it. Then your post help me to notice that the area around the reflectors was to shiny so I cut black strips from an already printed cd label to cover the area around the reflectors and IT WORKS!!!!!! I printed my first CD!!!! Thank you!!!!!
chincha5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 3:07 AM   #592

Just a quick follow up to all you people still struggling with this issue. I went ahead and bought a EU version ip4000 from Expansys for $215.about three months ago. I then ordered a US power supply direct from Canon for $15. I am on a Mac running OS 10.3.9 and the priner is fantastic!!!!! The photos are mazing and the DVD's are specatcular! I am using Ritek inkjet printable DVD's and they are smudge free right out of the printer. No using any adhesive spray or anything, the ink sticks clean and easy. I have printed at least 50 DVD's now and only one coaster. The Ritek DVD's are really good and pretty cheap too. It prints a DVD in about 15-30 seconds.
Spending $230 for the printer was a little higher than current price, but to have a Canon printer that prints DVD's instead of an Epson was worth every penny. I am more than happy with the printer and wold highly recommend it to others.
jaru22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 3:58 AM   #593

jaru22 wrote:
Quote:
Just a quick follow up to all you people still struggling with this issue. I went ahead and bought a EU version ip4000 from Expansys for $215.about three months ago. I then ordered a US power supply direct from Canon for $15. I am on a Mac running OS 10.3.9 and the priner is fantastic!!!!! The photos are mazing and the DVD's are specatcular! I am using Ritek inkjet printable DVD's and they are smudge free right out of the printer. No using any adhesive spray or anything, the ink sticks clean and easy. I have printed at least 50 DVD's now and only one coaster. The Ritek DVD's are really good and pretty cheap too. It prints a DVD in about 15-30 seconds.
Spending $230 for the printer was a little higher than current price, but to have a Canon printer that prints DVD's instead of an Epson was worth every penny. I am more than happy with the printer and wold highly recommend it to others.
Let's see $230 for a EU version of ip4000with US power supply

or $50 after rebates for U.S. iP4000 at Office Depot.

$180 difference, guess I'll stick with modding the U.S. versions.

CanonFodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 7:46 AM   #594

CanonFodder wrote:
Quote:

I got my ip4000 in December for $94.99 at buy.com. Now they have it for $99.99 - $20 MIR = $79.99 shipped free.

Office Depot has it for $161.99- $50rebate - $20 rebate = $91.99 shipped free. The $50 rebate ends today!

At these falling prices one could add a tray for $30 from ebay and still have a good deal on a CD-R printer!
digiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 9:27 AM   #595

I got 2 IP3000's and am getting paid $15 after rebates for buying them!!

Question for you jaru22,

Does having the Euro model with the different tray base mean the printer sucks in the tray without any pushing? Or do you still have to guide it in?

This would help those who are considering the 3 piece kit over just the tray.
soundforbjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 1:52 PM   #596

Yeah sure I know it is a big price difference, but I did not have to create a cardboard tray, the discs print perfect and it all works great, no problems. To me spending $230 for a very high quality printer is no big deal. Yeah today the ip4000 is under $100 but what 6-8 months ago it was around $180 or so and I have had mine for 3 months. Price was not an issue but performance was so I had no problem with that. I just wanted to pass the option on to others who may be considering this printer and do not mind spending a little extra. You can buy the newer ip5000 EU version if you want as well for around the same price and the price difference is not as much.

The tray printer sucks the tray in and aligns it on its own. Just place it in the rollers and hit reset, done.

jaru22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 2:17 PM   #597

CPingN wrote:
Quote:
But... I've seen 1 or more of you who have the MP760 I believe and haven't been able to get it to work. Is this true - has NO ONE gotten a tray to load and print on one of the multifunction MP printers (MP750, MP760, MP780)? I couldn't find any settings in the service menu aside from CD offset, but the registry hack worked to give me the media options. Since I haven't made a tray, though, I don't know if it will work. I'll be bummed if it wont, but I'm going to give it a try anyway unless someone with a "real" tray still can't make it work.
The only service manual i've been able to find on the subject is in Deutch, and applies only to the MPs with sheet feeders, i.e. the 750/780. I "had" started translating it but alas I crashed and lost my work.

I have not looked at the printhead assembly to see if it even has "CD-R sensor / automatic print head alignment sensor" It looks like it's protected by a metal bracket and i've not been brave enough to pop it off. But it would explain why even a few European users have issues with their printer rejecting the tray if this device wasn't included in some models.

Also, it could be one of many SSWs (Software switches). This also would make sense as one can easily switch the printer to "England" and get it to accept the tray, yet still reject it. From what little i've been able to read, there are many switches that remain undocumented. But at least if that is the issue it limits the choices to a handful rather than 30+ 8 bit options.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 3:15 PM   #598

CRAP! Was hoping for a small miracle with my MP780 (US model)...

Well, I made a tray using shoe box cardboard. Put some aluminum duct tape between the layers, put black around the holes, yadda yadda.... but when I try to print with CD Labelprint, it tells me to load the tray. I do, and hit OK, and then a few seconds later a warning/error box comes up telling me Tray 1 is open (well duh). So, even though the registry is set, and even though I supposedly wrote some settings back to the printer (forget when or what but I thought it had to do with CD stuff. In one of the properties page when I hit OK/save it asked me if I wanted to write changes to the printer.) it still doesn't want to recognize the ability to print on CD. So I guess you're right - until and unless someone figures out these register switches in the printer itself, it probably won't work. Damn! At least I have a tray ready for that day, should it arrive.

BTW, does the printhead move to read the reflective registration areas on the tray, or are there other sensors somewhere? 'cause I never even heard the head move to check. I tried with the arrows aligned and with the tray pushed further in (goes about 1/4" in past that) - nothing. I thought maybe I could fool it by closing the door temporarily but then it starts printing from the normal paper source. Boo!!

Any tips or suggestions - I'm willing to try.
CPingN
CPingN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 4:16 PM   #599

digiguy wrote:
Quote:
CanonFodder wrote:
Quote:

I got my ip4000 in December for $94.99 at buy.com. Now they have it for $99.99 - $20 MIR = $79.99 shipped free.

Office Depot has it for $161.99- $50rebate - $20 rebate = $91.99 shipped free. The $50 rebate ends today!

At these falling prices one could add a tray for $30 from ebay and still have a good deal on a CD-R printer!

Actually the in-store price at Office Depot is $119.99 so it is $50 after rebates through the end of today.

EDIT: On Sunday I purchased the iP3000, iP4000, HP 7760 printer and a Canon A510 camera all for $90 after rebates and Office Depot Advantage rewards. I figure the ink alone in the two Canon printers would cost that much.
CanonFodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2005, 5:29 PM   #600

CPingN wrote:
Quote:
<snip> and hit OK, and then a few seconds later a warning/error box comes up telling me Tray 1 is open (well duh). <snip>

BTW, does the printhead move to read the reflective registration areas on the tray, or are there other sensors somewhere? 'cause I never even heard the head move to check. I tried with the arrows aligned and with the tray pushed further in (goes about 1/4" in past that) - nothing. I thought maybe I could fool it by closing the door temporarily but then it starts printing from the normal paper source. Boo!!

Any tips or suggestions - I'm willing to try.
CPingN
Near as i've been able to establish, CD label print does not operate while the MP printer is in US mode. It will operate when you set the printer to another country like England for example. Then it will accept the tray.

The scan procedure is as follows. Firstly it accepts the disc, and does a side to side scan. EDIT: side to side middle of the disc. On my ip3000 I don't actually see a light, but it does this anyway. A light goes on, the tray slides out, and at least on the ip3000 the tray jerks in and out right at the 2nd alignmnet mark. On my mp760 there is no light, and no stopping on the mark. You can check your self by opening the cover, and pressing down the cover sensor switch located to the far right middle. I presume either the light is absent, or it's disabled in software. I don't know for a fact.

Here you can see how I attempted to illistrate this procedure.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote