Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 21, 2005, 9:02 AM   #621

Nice job. Looks like it would work.
digiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 9:31 AM   #622

I had a feeling that many people already knew about the company that gets the UK models and ships to customers in the US. The issue is that the US models have the CD/DVD printing function disabled in the firmware of the US models (I work for Canon and this was verified by a tech friend of mine). Also, in my own tests, my father has an ip3000 and so I installed the cd-label print software on his machine, also went in, deleted the US driver, installed the print driver from the UK and rebooted - only to find out the error message still comes up that says, "compatible printer for cd/dvd printing not found". I called Canon tech support in the UK to ask them about this and they also verified that the cd/dvd printing function is disabled in the firmware on the US models. Support was also nice enough to send me out another cd-tray for my troubles (so now I have two). If anyone wants the cd-label print software, I'll post it on my ftp site, anyone is welcome to download it. This was I have a genuine Canon ip5000 (UK version), and all the free support that comes with it. I know everyone can't afford the extra money, but it's nice to be able to get the real deal.
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 9:36 AM   #623

BTW, having the real printer and all the bells and whistles gave me the cd/dvd 3"inch adapter so I can print out the little cd's/dvd's too.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 10:09 AM   #624

The reason it didn't work was because you didn't change the destination in the EEPROM. Takes 5 minutes and your Dad's IP3000 will print on cd\dvd's.

iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:
I had a feeling that many people already knew about the company that gets the UK models and ships to customers in the US. The issue is that the US models have the CD/DVD printing function disabled in the firmware of the US models (I work for Canon and this was verified by a tech friend of mine). Also, in my own tests, my father has an ip3000 and so I installed the cd-label print software on his machine, also went in, deleted the US driver, installed the print driver from the UK and rebooted - only to find out the error message still comes up that says, "compatible printer for cd/dvd printing not found". I called Canon tech support in the UK to ask them about this and they also verified that the cd/dvd printing function is disabled in the firmware on the US models. Support was also nice enough to send me out another cd-tray for my troubles (so now I have two). If anyone wants the cd-label print software, I'll post it on my ftp site, anyone is welcome to download it. This was I have a genuine Canon ip5000 (UK version), and all the free support that comes with it. I know everyone can't afford the extra money, but it's nice to be able to get the real deal.
soundforbjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 10:17 AM   #625

iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:
I called Canon tech support in the UK to ask them about this and they also verified that the cd/dvd printing function is disabled in the firmware on the US models.
Well my US model (ip4000) is printing CDs just fine! I didn't need drivers from UK either. The drivers that came with the US model work fine once you enable the printer.

The English version of CD-LabelPrint software for Windows can be downloaded here: http://cmtw.canon.com.tw/service/upl...n.V1.0.2_E.exe

For those who haven't followed the thread converting the US model to print CDs is as follows:

1) Enable printer

2) Tweak registry or reinstall US drivers

3) Remove blocking plastic on printer

4) Make or buy a tray

5) Install CD-LabelPrint

EDIT: In #2 above all you have to do is delete the printer in Control Panel and reboot the computer. Windows 2000/XP will add the printer back and change the registry for you automatically. Be sure the printer is powered on before your reboot your PC.
digiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 10:22 AM   #626

hmmmwhen I spoke to Canon Offices (East Coast , West Coast) as well as independent authorized repair shops; the issue about the¬* firmware is relatively¬* unclear.¬*Most US shops aren't trained about the reprogramming of the firmware via the destination code. ref: service manuals, search previous posts.It makes manufacturing sense (logistics, logic) not to engineer TWO separate printer logic boards for identically the same printer. It would be not effecient, to retool two separate logic boards, and design to separate logic boards.Just selectively turn off the "not needed" features. This is way more savy.¬*Lets put it this way:My experience with working for HP manufacturing laserjet 4 printers -- which were canon laserjet engines, with US designed logic board (formatter boards).¬*The fact japanese manufacturing thought process is effecient and this "destination code" is more savy¬* is better.¬*Heck don't forget the subassembly for the innere tray is only slight different and snaps¬*in/out - efficient design-- models are slightly different.¬*That is just how industrial manufacturing/engineering does things.. from my perspective..Sure you can spend "more" for the genuine UK printer imported by expansys, but I don't want to spend almost $300 for a printer , when the almost same one is $90 (then you add rebates.. mine was 30.00 and a tray + modification)I got a great deal. because of yankee ingenuity or just plain ol' american gumption!¬*And I pocket the difference to buy printable media.I RARELY TO NEVER HAVE A NEEED FOR THE SMALLER MINI-MEDIA.The options are yours. Mine is clear.¬* AND I have printed over 40 DVDs/ CDs no problem, way easier than with labels!
TVUONGPHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 10:48 AM   #627

I must have missed this. So since I have the actual tray from Canon and the software so do I change the EPROM in my dad's IP3000? Also, something about moving the plastic away on the tray opening? What do I need to do?

Thanks!
Old Jun 21, 2005, 10:52 AM   #628

OK so there's your way or the "hack" way, neither of which is all that difficult. It seems to me that if you have a x000 model and can't get it to work by now you simply haven't followed the process. To ME the only thing left is figuring out why the multifuntion ones like the MP760 and MP780 won't print. I got it to ask for the CD tray by changing the registry (1 simple change from 0 to 1) and the printer itself by putting it in UK mode (see earlier post a couple days ago). Some sort of setting that was at "Cygnus-2", didn't know what that was and hit OK, then it showed me some languages/countries and I picked UK.

But as far as we can all tell, 1 more thing needs to be done. It scans left to right for the registration marks, but it's as if the sensor is disabled or something.. it just spits the tray back out. But the sensor must work or how would the auto-head alignment work? If you could poke around and ask if there's a register (on the printer, which has TONS of 8 bit registers it seems) or something that needs to be changed, a few of us would be VERY happy.

Thanks for all your efforts.
-- C

iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:
The issue is that the US models have the CD/DVD printing function disabled in the firmware of the US models (I work for Canon and this was verified by a tech friend of mine). I called Canon tech support in the UK to ask them about this and they also verified that the cd/dvd printing function is disabled in the firmware on the US models.
CPingN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 10:56 AM   #629

Through my own independant research I've gathered some new and awesome things on the new products coming up this fall. If anyone wants any specifics, just ask. Sorry, no cd/dvd printing coming for the US market (at least not this fall).
Old Jun 21, 2005, 11:54 AM   #630

iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:
Through my own independant research I've gathered some new and awesome things on the new products coming up this fall. If anyone wants any specifics, just ask. Sorry, no cd/dvd printing coming for the US market (at least not this fall).

Would love to know what new features are coming so yes please inform us here or in a new thread.
KnightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote