Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 24, 2005, 11:08 PM   #681

Hi guys,
I have been following the thread from the very beginning and I must say, great job everyone!
I too am watching the eBay auctions trying to pick up a tray eventually.
I briefly tried my hand at fabricating one but like most, believe the OEM tray is the way to go. So, I too am trying to:

1- Win one of the auctions
&
2- Trying to obtain a reliable source for ordering these in quantity and getting them here.
I do have some experience in this area and will persue this in an attempt to ensure everyone here has access to at least one tray each for all the trouble, experimenting and perserverence this group has shown in trying to fix a problem that, until I found this thread, I thought I was unique in wanting to modify my ip4000 for printable media.
I will keep you all posted if, in fact, my efforts are somewhat fruitful.
Once again, thanks to all for the collaborative effort to alleviate our collective problem.

--Blake
legalsmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 4:25 AM   #682

:!: Hi all! GREAT Forum! I've just spent the past 6-7 hours reading each and every post.

Now, I joined to not only thank each and everyone of you that has made this all possible, but alsooooo..... Does anyone have contacts that will sell direct/in person - anywhere?? My brother travels constantly all over the place with his job... Maybe there's a way he can help get the parts for us?? I'm not sure how viable of an option this would be as I know nothing about duty/taxes, etc.:? But my brother is a computer guru- thats his job- :lol:LOL... He creates all the systems for pharm. manufacturrs, so he would more than likely know exactly what you all have been talking about. He travels prpbably about 9-10 months out of each year... Italy, England, Ireland, Germany, blah, blah, blah. So my thought is maybe he can buy the parts from a parts dealer while he's there and bring them back with him?? Or ship them... Which-ever would be easiest/cheapest. I myself cannot pay $50.00 or more for these parts as I'm a single mom. $30.00 would be do-able, but any more and I just can't do it... So, if anyone has any ideas or contacts- I'd be glad to talk to my sister-in-law and try and snag a bit of my brothers time in between his trips.

Feel free to email me at jersey at intergate dot com or post here as I will be checking back often.

And just to make this clear- I am NOT doing this with ANY thoughts of any kind of profit.... Only trying to help others as well as myself.... Not to mention the pleasure of thumbing our noses at Canon for cheating us. :blah:

Okie.. Now I need to go catch a few Zzzzz before the kids get up!

With Friendship-

Kelley
Jersey_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 5:38 AM   #683

Jersey_Girl wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone have contacts that will sell direct/in person - anywhere?? My brother travels constantly all over the place with his job... Maybe there's a way he can help get the parts for us?? I'm not sure how viable of an option this would be as I know nothing about duty/taxes, etcItaly, England, Ireland, Germany, blah, blah, blah. So my thought is maybe he can buy the parts from a parts dealer while he's there and bring them back with him??
Well the one person who shared their secret (can't find the post right now) called up a service center listed on one of the canon's websites (.nl IIRC). They had a local either pick them up or ship to them. The major issue is these service centers, which I assume are privatly owned non canon establishements, is they don't do things like credit cards and require local bank transfers or cod. I imagine if you desire you could just hit the canon website and navigate to the local service centers to get the contact info for a given city your brother is in. The uk site is listed under contacts and "authorized service centers" http://www.canon.co.uk/support/warra...news/index.asp

I have no clue about these places, you'd have to ask. Alternativly you could phone 1-800-ok-canon and ask for info.

Duty... well private person to private person shipping just declare it a gift $20... which well would be the value of the tray. No big deal no duty charged for gifts under a certain amount. You're allowed a certain amount when you travel to take back with you duty free. Could be as high as $800 depending on your stay where and how long, alcohol and tobacco products you are except by volume. Duty for comerical items that you don't have a rescipt for might be charged based on the book value that they have, which I doubt a trivial printer part would be in a book.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 1:11 AM   #684

Hi all! :bye:

Okay guys--- I'm calling my sister-in-law tomorrow... with any luck my brother is in the UK at this time... in which case I'll get him to see if he can get the parts.Now- there's (1) the cdr tray, (2) cdr base unit, and (3) 8cm adapter for pocket size media???... I have the numbers from elsewhere in this forum- just wanted to double check.

Also--- I had another idea...:idea: hehe.... I'm just full of 'em... LOL... my sister says if anyone knows how to get around something it's me... well, we'll just have to put it to the test! Here's what I need... I need a serial/model/reg info (don't know if the reg info will be necessary- but I like to be prepared for anything!) on a UK version of the IP3000/4000/5000.. I only need the info on one- doesn;t matter which as long as it's the UK one with the cd tray. When and IF someone is willing to 'lend' me the info... I'm calling Canon... UK probably... or maybe even via the UK website(??)... I'm going to tell them my brother bought the printer for me when he was over there on business... it was a gift. when i opened it- well, it was missing parts! I want to see if they will offer to replace/send me the parts that are 'missing'. Think they may suspect something?? BUT-- if I have all the info on the UK Printer that 'I received as a gift'.... How can they prove otherwise??If this works, and I believe it will.... then this will be another option to obtain these parts... although after awhile I'm sure they (Canon) will catch on... But until they DO catch on.... :blah: Of course, anyone going this route would need a co-conspiritor in the UK... But hey, IF this works, we are saving money we would be spending on ebay so why not toss a few to your UK buddy via Paypal or something?? I dunno... Just a thought. Anyhow, I'm pretty confident that this'll fly. Something to try while waiting for my brother to try and obtain the parts.

BTW... I don't actually .. hehe... have my Pixma yet... :shock: Am trying to decide whether to go with the 3000/4000 I REALLY would like the 5000 but I thinks it's a bit out of my price range... I'm not ruleing it out tho as I'll sit on it until I can get a really, really good deal on ebay. Any suggestions on which I should go with?? Yes, I'll be doing some photos, but mostly I want to print on my cds/dvds and I want it to look good! I was initially going to go with an Epson-- I've had a stylus 400 since they were nearly new on the market with no probs. But after reading about the waste tank and everything- honestly, I don't want the extra work. Also, I have a 4 yo and I suspect at some point I'd end up with a major mess... trust me on this! lol... my 4 yo is a complete terror- but I love her anyway! :-) So- sorry Epson! Anyhoo-- any advise/opinions would be appreciated.

And don't forget-- If your in the UK with a UK Pixma and are willing to 'buddy-up' with me and 'lend' me your info I'll get right on it and see if this'll work.

SSL

Okie... Night all!

Kelley
Jersey_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 1:56 AM   #685

Jersey_Girl wrote:
Quote:
Hi all! :bye:

Also--- I had another idea...:idea: hehe.... I'm just full of 'em... LOL... my sister says if anyone knows how to get around something it's me... well, we'll just have to put it to the test! Here's what I need... I need a serial/model/reg info (don't know if the reg info will be necessary- but I like to be prepared for anything!) on a UK version of the IP3000/4000/5000.. I only need the info on one- doesn;t matter which as long as it's the UK one with the cd tray. When and IF someone is willing to 'lend' me the info... I'm calling Canon... UK probably... or maybe even via the UK website(??)... I'm going to tell them my brother bought the printer for me when he was over there on business... it was a gift. when i opened it- well, it was missing parts! I want to see if they will offer to replace/send me the parts that are 'missing'. Think they may suspect something?? BUT-- if I have all the info on the UK Printer that 'I received as a gift'.... How can they prove otherwise??If this works, and I believe it will.... then this will be another option to obtain these parts... although after awhile I'm sure they (Canon) will catch on... But until they DO catch on.... :blah: Of course, anyone going this route would need a co-conspiritor in the UK... But hey, IF this works, we are saving money we would be spending on ebay so why not toss a few to your UK buddy via Paypal or something?? I dunno... Just a thought. Anyhow, I'm pretty confident that this'll fly. Something to try while waiting for my brother to try and obtain the parts.

BTW... I don't actually .. hehe... have my Pixma yet... :shock: Am trying to decide whether to go with the 3000/4000 I REALLY would like the 5000 but I thinks it's a bit out of my price range... I'm not ruleing it out tho as I'll sit on it until I can get a really, really good deal on ebay. Any suggestions on which I should go with?? Yes, I'll be doing some photos, but mostly I want to print on my cds/dvds and I want it to look good! I was initially going to go with an Epson-- I've had a stylus 400 since they were nearly new on the market with no probs. But after reading about the waste tank and everything- honestly, I don't want the extra work. Also, I have a 4 yo and I suspect at some point I'd end up with a major mess... trust me on this! lol... my 4 yo is a complete terror- but I love her anyway! :-) So- sorry Epson! Anyhoo-- any advise/opinions would be appreciated.

And don't forget-- If your in the UK with a UK Pixma and are willing to 'buddy-up' with me and 'lend' me your info I'll get right on it and see if this'll work.

SSL

Okie... Night all!

Kelley
More power too you... we live on a planet after all and it always makes our lives difficult when the industry decides to cut us up based on political boarders.

QL2-0605-000 CDR TRAY ASS'Y W/ CDR PRINTING
QA4-1117-000 TRAY, CD SUB W/ CDR PRINTING
EDIT: QM2-1239-000 inner cover (rather than US qm2-1241-000 thanks blake)

I haven't ordered these my self but I suspect that's all you need. should cover the ip3000/4000/5000, but I have no clue on the ip6000. You only really need the tray and perhaps the adapter, the inner cover is nice so you don't have to manualy push the tray in.

At this point, I highly doubt Canon cares... and even if they do you're going to be dealing with 3rd party repair shops who either don't care what you are doing, or if they do care will give you the thumbs up. Phillips might care, which might make Canon care.... but we're not at that point yet. Keep in mind that canon isn't paying philips the license fee for this feature in the us.

I went with the IP3000 because the american version was $65($68 today.. before $20 mail in rebate) mail order... and it was cheaper than buying epson ink for my printer that was flaking out. Near as i'm aware the only major difference is the ip4000 has a dye black and a pigment black for text.. where the ip3000 just has a pigment black. So if you go with the ip3000 all the black in your photos will be printed from the text print holes. This can look good if this is your intended effect, I suspect that the pigmented black is more water resistant than the dye, but I've done no testing yet. The ip4000 is well $100 shipped from newegg.com.

I bring this up because the e-bay deal seems to be either pay $60 for a ip3000 and $15.00 to ship it... or you might be able to get one for $40ish, if your lucky.

But if I were to buy a photo printer today without cd printing... i'd go i960 from tiger direct for under $100. Its printing is virtualy identical to the newer ip6000 but doesn't have spiffy features like an LCD screen (use your cameras) duplex printing (flip it over your self and stick it in again), and isn't retangular so you can't put your latté on it (this sucks). I like smooth skys... even if they are pink or periwinkle ones. Otherwise i've been very pleased with the the ip3000 and mp760 (ip4000 multifuction). Technicaly I have the epson r200 already... which is a nice photo printer and does DVDs but I've had issues with it and it's already come back from the shop once. But no amount of external advice is going to be better than taking your digital camera down to the local office depot and with photo paper in hand printing off an image from your camera to each printer.... when I do this they only ask that they can keep a copy for their sales staff. They get a tool to answer questions, you get an actual idea of what pictures your pictures would look like.

Old Jun 27, 2005, 6:43 AM   #686

Hi again Guys,
Just an update here...
I have contacted a friend in Germany who is checking on obtaining the tray and insert for our printers. She is also going to see how many we can get at a time.
Also, I have available a couple of contacts in China who are doing likewise.
At the moment I am only trying to access the "CDR tray assembly with CDR printing"(part number: QL2-0605-000) and the "Tray /CD-sub with CDR printing" (part number: QA4-1117-000) this is the insert that allows printing to "Mini CD/DVD-R's".
I believe the "CDR base unit / with CDR printing" (part number: QM2-1239-000)
is the same as we have except ours has the plastic insert that can be snapped out in order to accept the Tray Assembly.
I will advise if I have any success.
Regards,
-Blake
Old Jun 27, 2005, 7:01 AM   #687

zakezuke wrote:
Quote:

More power too you... we live on a planet after all and it always makes our lives difficult when the industry decides to cut us up based on political boarders.

QL2-0605-000 CDR TRAY ASS'Y W/ CDR PRINTING
QA4-1117-000 TRAY, CD SUB W/ CDR PRINTING
qm2-1241-000 inner cover

zakezuke, the last part number you mention is the US part we already have (please see my earlier post) The part you meant to type (I believe) is: QM2-1239-000.
-Blake
Old Jun 27, 2005, 9:17 AM   #688

:roll: I did get the ip5000 from the UK, worth it! Love the cd printing and they include a voltage/plug adapter. Full warranty too.
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 3:55 PM   #689

legalsmate wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

zakezuke, the last part number you mention is the US part we already have (please see my earlier post) The part you meant to type (I believe) is: QM2-1239-000.
-Blake
Thanks blake, stand corrected... My bad... Why the heck 1241 was in my buffer I have no clue... perhaps it was a left over when I was searching for what the other one was.

*QM2-1239-000 CDR TRAY BASE UNIT W/ CDR <---- blake is correct
QM2-1241-000 INNER COVER UNIT W/O CDR <----- I was wrong

Old Jun 27, 2005, 5:25 PM   #690

I posted a couple pages back about the frustration of bidding for the trays on eBay. Well,perseverance pays off. I finally won one and printed my first couple DVDs. It's awesome! My Pixma 5000 is finally fully functional.:-)

I really want to thank everyone here for figuring this whole thing out. And a special thank you to Chousden for making the trays available. I know she went through a lot of trouble to provide these things for us, and then she took a lot of flack for auctioning them off to the highest bidder on eBay. Whatever "profit" she's making on these is probably not adequate compensation for the hassle involved in getting them. I just want to say that I for one appreciate her efforts, as well as the efforts of everyone else here. Thank you all! Printing directly to DVD rules!
Mawdryn is offline   Reply With Quote