Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 15, 2004, 4:51 AM   #61

Quote:
Taiwan doesn't have any PIXMA printers
Azzkikr, I don't know why you are so certain about everything. Why are you so certain that Taiwan does not have PIXMA printers?

By the way, I got my lucky break, a friend will be sending me a CD tray and software disk in the next few days. So we'll see how it goes.
AlvinLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 4:15 PM   #62

Cannon is to cheap to buy patent rights for CD printing, buy an Epson R200 you will never be sorry. I have printed over 200 disks all very nice and perfect.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"d
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2004, 4:18 PM   #63

AlvinLee wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Taiwan doesn't have any PIXMA printers
Azzkikr, I don't know why you are so certain about everything. Why are you so certain that Taiwan does not have PIXMA printers?

By the way, I got my lucky break, a friend will be sending me a CD tray and software disk in the next few days. So we'll see how it goes.
Sorry, Taiwan just listed the PIXMA models. I swore it wasn't there a month ago. Now I will divert and get it from Taiwan.

Edit: Can't find the retail price for the PIXMA printer on Canon Taiwan's site anywhere
Azzkikr1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2004, 12:41 PM   #64

Street price for the 3000 is around $140. I just got my cd tray but will need to pick up the software next week.

In the meantime, my bypass method has been refined and is working very well. I simply print a template with the CD label on the bottom half of the page. Feed the template paper back in and print from the catridge with envelope media. As soon as paper feeds, I lift open the top, feed the printable CD through the front and align it perfectly on top of the trace which should stick out only 1 inch from the white rollers, close the lid and it prints perfectly. Very accurate! And very simple.

The CD tray basically has a few small square like foils for reflecting alignment as documented in the HK manual. I'll see if next weeks software disc will work. But at this point it's almost moot, cause the bypass method works well.

Old Dec 17, 2004, 12:41 PM   #65

I'm finding the EZ Label Xpress V2.5 very easy to use. Much easier than Nero's. I can do things instantly with EZ Label that I can't figure out with Nero after spending more than 30 minutes blundering about. I downloaded EZ Label Xpress free from download.com.
Old Dec 18, 2004, 12:11 PM   #66

AlvinLee, I have the IP3000 USA version. I assume your method will work with this prrinter. Can you, give a complete description of how you do it? Pictures would be nice, if you have the time.
And just an aside. I get some streaking on the front side when I print onto paper CD evelopes. Any ideas why this happens? No problem with other paper sources. Thanks
winifreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2004, 12:11 PM   #67

AlvinLee, I have the IP3000 USA version. I assume your method will work with this prrinter. Can you, give a complete description of how you do it? Pictures would be nice, if you have the time.
And just an aside. I get some streaking on the front side when I print onto paper CD evelopes. Any ideas why this happens? No problem with other paper sources. Thanks
Old Dec 18, 2004, 1:49 PM   #68

AlvinLee's method kicks *ss.

I just tried it and was printing on DVDs in no time. The only change I could see is to print the template on the top half of the page (he did the bottom). I used the Neato photoshop templates. I printed a "label" on the top half of a plain piece of paper. I fed the paper back into the cartridge face down and reprinted the "label" from photoshop. As soon as the paper started to feed I opened the cover to stop the printer. Open the duplexer in the back and shove the dvd in until it lines up with the previously printed image. Close the duplexer. Close the top and the paper and dvd come out the front of the printer.

I used the "envelope" media type.

Once you've printed a template once, you can keep using the same sheet of paper over and over to line up subsequent disks.

Thank you AlvinLee!!!!!!
marktdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 7:22 AM   #69

Thanks Markdi. Just a little appreciation makes my day.

Why I ended up choosing to print the DVD label on the lower half instead:

When I first started with the top half and pushing the disc from the back, although it was eaiser to slide in the DVD, it was harder to aim. And easier to slightly move the paper since it was a tight fit. I noticed this because I noticed all of my slighty out of alignment tests were too forward/backward and but alwaysleft/right exact.

So printing on the bottom half of the template page became a lot easier:

The paper is fuller under all the rollers, making it stay firmly in place as you slide the DVD in. It's so much eaiser simply lifting the top lid. When there is nothing to print on the top half, the paper automatically feeds and stops at the bottom half of the page. You basically lift the lid anytime the paper is feeding and it automatically just goes to the beginning of the bottom half. Aiming and aligning from the front is eaiser. Plus the top half of the paper is protecting the underside of the disc as you are sliding it through. I think you will find the "front load bypass" easier. You just need a slightly stronger push to get the disc to slide under the white rollers.

I hope the Americans can adopt this approach. I am a Canon printer fan, after owning HP and Epson. HP ruffled my feathers the way they purposely label the colors on the ink cartridges wrong so you will put in the wrong colors if you try to reink yourself. You can tell they are trying to force you to use their expensive ink every way possible. Epson is almost as loud as a dot matrix and can easily clog their heads. Canon gives you seperate color cartridge with clear see thu, and they seperate the head from the ink. Plus the prints are outstanding.

I find the "bypass" method fun because it's like thumbing the nose at the "we can't do" attitude. It's like "Thank you very much Mr. Canon, and Mr. Phillips, but we figured how to bypass this 'can't do' attitute"

Front bypass, or back bypass whatever suites you, let's just post and get folks feedback so we have the most optimal. Does anybodyknow what is a thicker media to select besides envelope?

Old Dec 19, 2004, 8:29 AM   #70

So, AlvinLee,
Could you take the time and put all this in one post? A step by step guide. Again, pictures would be great. Thanks for figuring this out. I would like to try it with my printer.