Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 27, 2005, 11:27 PM   #701

Jersey_Girl wrote:
Quote:
Question... Does the ip3000 thats on newegg- Retail box.... include the usb cable?? or am I going to have to buy this apart from the printer?? :?

Thanks All!

Oh... I ended up emailing my sister-in-law since I haven't been able to get hold of her. I should hear something soon.

Thanks again!

Kelley
No, it will not come with a USB cable.
soundforbjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 11:43 PM   #702

Okay.... Thanks all! I didn't think so but I wasn't poz... just didn't want to buy something I don't need.

Maybe I will go with ebay then... I could have had an ip3000 for 40 bucks change... brand new. with a bonus usb. i'll let you all know when i'm officially Canon! Or as soon as I know anything about the parts!

Thanks much!

Kelley
Jersey_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 11:45 PM   #703

Jersey_Girl wrote:
Quote:
Question... Does the ip3000 thats on newegg- Retail box.... include the usb cable?? or am I going to have to buy this apart from the printer?? :?

Thanks All!

Oh... I ended up emailing my sister-in-law since I haven't been able to get hold of her. I should hear something soon.

Thanks again!

Kelley
Yes, retail box, inks paperwork disc included. They offer some stuff referbed but that's clearly marked, and the referb unit while being $60.21 shipped might not qualify for a rebate (don't quote me I don't know). I'm all for mucking around on e-bay but the retail box isn't a bad deal. After the rebate it's roughly equal to what you'd spend on ink at office depot plus $5 or so.

No, no usb cable. It takes the normal A male to B male IIRC. It's common enough for printers not to have them, the last two I bought from them didn't include them. I'm told this is a vender's choice issue which makes sense in retail to squeese and extra $20 for the cable. Odd that modems often include USB and ethernet cables but printers mostly do not. If you have a big lots near you they were selling them for $5.00 (10ft generic / 6ft HP). Newegg has them as well for $5.00 handeling plus whatever the cable costs($7ish to $10ish total shipped)... which well sucks but they are honest about how much they oops out of you, and less than $10.00 when all is said and done is better than $20+tax. Oddly enough the same stores that also sell card readers with usb cables cost less than just buying the USB cable, but it requires you to look at the package to see if it's a normal A to B or some other standard. If worse comes to worse... I see these at goodwill sub $5.00 often enough. They come with modems and other equipment donated.

Damn, I was too slow posting this, ah well. Good luck on e-bay... fortunatly the ip3000 isn't a high demand item there.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2005, 11:58 PM   #704

Jersey_Girl wrote:
Quote:
Okay.... Thanks all! I didn't think so but I wasn't poz... just didn't want to buy something I don't need.

Maybe I will go with ebay then... I could have had an ip3000 for 40 bucks change... brand new. with a bonus usb. i'll let you all know when i'm officially Canon! Or as soon as I know anything about the parts!

Thanks much!

Kelley
Make sure you read the descriptions carefully... Alot of people on EBaysell the printers as new but they have removed the ink cartridges.
soundforbjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 12:33 AM   #705

soundforbjt
Quote:
Make sure you read the descriptions carefully... Alot of people on EBaysell the printers as new but they have removed the ink cartridges.
Or, removed the ink in favor of 3rd party ink, which could be just fine... or not. I'm all for 3rd party ink, but i've seen some cheepo stuff that faids faster than the canon.

And those dang shipping charges... $30 shipping? I see one for $56.90 and $30 of it is shipping. But in all fairness there are other deals too, and a patient froogle(pun intended) can close to what one expect with a rebate without having to shell out the extra $20 in the first place. I double checked Froogle.com and everything I saw mininium floated at $60ish... Which is fair... Better than local $100.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 8:34 AM   #706

My first two attempts at making a tray have failed. The first was cardboard which the printer would grab and attempt to scan, but would push it back out and tell me no tray found. The 2nd was made from DVD case plastic, but never made it to the printer as I accidentally glued the two piece together in the wrong direction so the reflectors were swapped. 4 hours of work and still no printed DVDs. :-( Thanks to all for the posts here. Hopefully third time will be the charm.
brentcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 9:27 AM   #707

brentcollins wrote:
Quote:
My first two attempts at making a tray have failed. The first was cardboard which the printer would grab and attempt to scan, but would push it back out and tell me no tray found. The 2nd was made from DVD case plastic, but never made it to the printer as I accidentally glued the two piece together in the wrong direction so the reflectors were swapped. 4 hours of work and still no printed DVDs. :-( Thanks to all for the posts here. Hopefully third time will be the charm.

I just re-read lots of this forum and think I was using the wrong template with the incorrect reflector locations. I'll take a look again tonight and report back.

See http://pixma.cjb.net/for 5 easy steps.
brentcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 9:48 AM   #708

zakezuke wrote:
Quote:
soundforbjt
Quote:
Or, removed the ink in favor of 3rd party ink, which could be just fine... or not. I'm all for 3rd party ink, but i've seen some cheepo stuff that faids faster than the canon.

And those dang shipping charges... $30 shipping? I see one for $56.90 and $30 of it is shipping. But in all fairness there are other deals too, and a patient froogle(pun intended) can close to what one expect with a rebate without having to shell out the extra $20 in the first place. I double checked Froogle.com and everything I saw mininium floated at $60ish... Which is fair... Better than local $100.
I'll get blasted for this too, but, in my opinion, people should be carefull with third party ink. This can clog up the print heads and if your printer is in warranty, Canon would void it upon finding out that third party ink was used. Just like motor oil, for example, Canon's ink (of formula), if different from others and Canon's yellow may not be the same as XYZ's yellow. Third party ink, can infact also change the overall output from the printer - colors may be off because of this. Again, this is only my experience with Canon's ink and using the ones that are at the store. I have, however had customer's tell me that they have used third party ink for a long time with NO issues at all. If you're wanting to use third party ink that a particular retailer makes, lets say the XYZ brand that Best Buy may carry, or the PrintRite ink Fry's would carry, or even MicroCenter's brand ink, THESE would be better choices than buying the ink itself and trying to fill the catridges yourself. If you look around on the web, you can find the Canon brand genuine inks for a lot less than in the retail chains.
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 9:56 AM   #709

Jersey_Girl wrote:
Quote:

Thanks All!

Thanks again!

Kelley
:roll: The printers, as they are from the manufacturer, do not come with USB cables. And no, you don't have to pay the over-priced $20+ for the ones at the local electronic stores. Microcenter, for example has no name brand USB cables for $6. Just hunt around a little. If a USB cable does come with the printer, it maybe done for that specific retail chain. For example, Canon has sold some of their models in the past, at Sams Club. They included a cable in the box and it was marked by using the "s" in the model name. It was a special put together for Sams. Some online retailers may include a usb cable as well. Usually you can find a customer service number for the store, online or whatnot and call them first.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 9:56 AM   #710

Jersey_Girl wrote:
Quote:

Thanks much!

Kelley
Kelley, Let me know how this turns out and if you need any ink or paper, I'll give you a great deal! Good luck.