Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 28, 2005, 9:59 AM   #711

iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:
Jersey_Girl wrote:
Quote:
Question... Does the ip3000 thats on newegg- Retail box.... include the usb cable?? or am I going to have to buy this apart from the printer?? :?

Thanks All!

Oh... I ended up emailing my sister-in-law since I haven't been able to get hold of her. I should hear something soon.

Thanks again!

Kelley
:roll: The printers, as they are from the manufacturer, do not come with USB cables. And no, you don't have to pay the over-priced $20+ for the ones at the local electronic stores. Microcenter, for example has no name brand USB cables for $6. Just hunt around a little. If a USB cable does come with the printer, it maybe done for that specific retail chain. For example, Canon has sold some of their models in the past, at Sams Club. They included a cable in the box and it was marked by using the "s" in the model name (the one that comes to mind now, was the i950s) It was a special put together for Sams. Some online retailers may include a usb cable as well. Usually you can find a customer service number for the store, online or whatnot and call them first.
iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 6:39 PM   #712

iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:
I'll get blasted for this too, but, in my opinion, people should be carefull with third party ink. This can clog up the print heads and if your printer is in warranty, Canon would void it upon finding out that third party ink was used. Just like motor oil, for example, Canon's ink (of formula), if different from others and Canon's yellow may not be the same as XYZ's yellow. Third party ink, can infact also change the overall output from the printer - colors may be off because of this. Again, this is only my experience with Canon's ink and using the ones that are at the store. I have, however had customer's tell me that they have used third party ink for a long time with NO issues at all. If you're wanting to use third party ink that a particular retailer makes, lets say the XYZ brand that Best Buy may carry, or the PrintRite ink Fry's would carry, or even MicroCenter's brand ink, THESE would be better choices than buying the ink itself and trying to fill the catridges yourself. If you look around on the web, you can find the Canon brand genuine inks for a lot less than in the retail chains.
This is actually generally good advice - and very thoughtful. I'm not going to say Best Buy, Fry's or MicroCenter has good or bad ink, I don't have a clue as I never used it, but I wouldn't blindly trust it either. I wasn't happy with the bulk set offered at Costco. I will say i'm not happy with the default Canon offering as it faids too fast. My next test will be with MIS inks as soon as I run out of the ink the printers came with.

But at least it doesn't void the warranty thanks to the "Magnuson - Moss Warranty Improvement Act" [Title 15 Commerce and Trade Chapter 50 Consumer Product Warranties ¶15 §2032 {assuming I have the syntax correct}] not only does it not void the warranty, if they say it voids the warranty (my inturperation of the act) than they gotta provide you with the goods for the lifetime of the product. If you ever see this in writing it's your ticket for free ink or free oil if this is about car. If your interested in the subject see subsection (C){IMNAL}. In very simple terms... Canon *CAN'T* void the warranty if you use 3rd party ink. Either refer to this act, or get it in writing and sue..... even small claims court you can sue for a few years worth of ink {IMNAL}. Anyone interested in the subject should refer to teenage mutent ninga lawyers or professional counsil. Remember to always wear gloves when reading lawbooks... that ultra thin ink gets under your skin and makes you loopy. Wear double gloves reading the tax code. (Bought to you by parents to keep kids off law books... your future is bright... don't mess it up by flipping through the tax code. It's all fun and games till someone gets hurt)

I would reccomend anyone intersted in the subject to check out http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=12 and ask others about their experences first. Mine is limited to MIS.

Worth checking out... Canon inks are reasonably priced at about $2000/gal for black, and $3000/gal for color. There are some nice solutions at $300/gal(2.50/oz or so). If this does as some people sugest shorten the life of your print head... assuming you go with a base solution the savings more than makes up for it. I wouldn't worry about the colors as they are pretty screwy to begin (others call them punchy and bold) with and some venders are nice enough to offer color correction utilities to compensate for any subtle differences... which is actually further than Canon seems willing to go. Remember kids - you spend more than ink then you do on the printer.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 7:57 PM   #713

zakezuke wrote:
Quote:
iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:
I'll get blasted for this too, but, in my opinion, people should be carefull with third party ink. This can clog up the print heads and if your printer is in warranty, Canon would void it upon finding out that third party ink was used. Just like motor oil, for example, Canon's ink (of formula), if different from others and Canon's yellow may not be the same as XYZ's yellow. Third party ink, can infact also change the overall output from the printer - colors may be off because of this. Again, this is only my experience with Canon's ink and using the ones that are at the store. I have, however had customer's tell me that they have used third party ink for a long time with NO issues at all. If you're wanting to use third party ink that a particular retailer makes, lets say the XYZ brand that Best Buy may carry, or the PrintRite ink Fry's would carry, or even MicroCenter's brand ink, THESE would be better choices than buying the ink itself and trying to fill the catridges yourself. If you look around on the web, you can find the Canon brand genuine inks for a lot less than in the retail chains.
This is actually generally good advice - and very thoughtful. I'm not going to say Best Buy, Fry's or MicroCenter has good or bad ink, I don't have a clue as I never used it, but I wouldn't blindly trust it either. I wasn't happy with the bulk set offered at Costco. I will say i'm not happy with the default Canon offering as it faids too fast. My next test will be with MIS inks as soon as I run out of the ink the printers came with.

But at least it doesn't void the warranty thanks to the "Magnuson - Moss Warranty Improvement Act" [Title 15 Commerce and Trade Chapter 50 Consumer Product Warranties ¶15 §2032 {assuming I have the syntax correct}] not only does it not void the warranty, if they say it voids the warranty (my inturperation of the act) than they gotta provide you with the goods for the lifetime of the product. If you ever see this in writing it's your ticket for free ink or free oil if this is about car. If your interested in the subject see subsection (C){IMNAL}. In very simple terms... Canon *CAN'T* void the warranty if you use 3rd party ink. Either refer to this act, or get it in writing and sue..... even small claims court you can sue for a few years worth of ink {IMNAL}. Anyone interested in the subject should refer to teenage mutent ninga lawyers or professional counsil. Remember to always wear gloves when reading lawbooks... that ultra thin ink gets under your skin and makes you loopy. Wear double gloves reading the tax code. (Bought to you by parents to keep kids off law books... your future is bright... don't mess it up by flipping through the tax code. It's all fun and games till someone gets hurt)

I would reccomend anyone intersted in the subject to check out http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=12 and ask others about their experences first. Mine is limited to MIS.

Worth checking out... Canon inks are reasonably priced at about $2000/gal for black, and $3000/gal for color. There are some nice solutions at $300/gal(2.50/oz or so). If this does as some people sugest shorten the life of your print head... assuming you go with a base solution the savings more than makes up for it. I wouldn't worry about the colors as they are pretty screwy to begin (others call them punchy and bold) with and some venders are nice enough to offer color correction utilities to compensate for any subtle differences... which is actually further than Canon seems willing to go. Remember kids - you spend more than ink then you do on the printer.
Sams Club sells Canon BCI3 and 6 series ink in bulk sets that are discounted.

"I wouldn't worry about the colors as they are pretty screwy to begin (others call them punchy and bold) with and some venders are nice enough to offer color correction utilities to compensate for any subtle differences... which is actually further than Canon seems willing to go. Remember kids - you spend more than ink then you do on the printer."

This is an opinion, based on expecience, not on fact.

Old Jun 28, 2005, 8:01 PM   #714

:idea:zakezuke wrote:
Quote:
iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:

:idea: Then the question is, and perhaps I'll ask the legal expert above, since he seems to be the "expert" in everything, how was Epson able to *WIN* the currently settled lawsuit againt the makers of PrintRite ink from being imported into the US?

See the link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/2005...NWRqBHNlYwN0Yw--

"Epson Keeps Rival Ink Cartridges Out of U.S."

"The Japanese printer maker reached a settlement with Multi-Union Trading that will see 75 of Multi-Union's cartridge models barred from being imported and sold in the U.S., Epson says. Hong Kong-based Multi-Union sells its products in the U.S. under the PrintRite brand. The settlement also includes a financial agreement, terms of which were not disclosed."

"The settlement resolves two court cases http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,120610,00.asp]Epson had brought[/url] against Multi-Union at the U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon in Portland, in April 2001 and April this year, Epson says. The cases covered 30 patents. A similar case against Armor, a Nantes, France, maker of third-party cartridges filed in April this year continues, says Alastair Bourne, a spokesperson for Epson, which is based in Suwa, Japan."

Old Jun 28, 2005, 8:07 PM   #715

iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:

"I wouldn't worry about the colors as they are pretty screwy to begin (others call them punchy and bold) with and some venders are nice enough to offer color correction utilities to compensate for any subtle differences... which is actually further than Canon seems willing to go. Remember kids - you spend more than ink then you do on the printer."

It is an opinion shared by many...(opinion vs fact in this case is splitting hairs and I won't bother for the sake of good form) including many who post here. But it's a fact that many 3rd party houses offer color correction utilities.

But what are the price of the bci3/6 inks at samsclub. I remember costco the price floated at about $10 ish each for a 4 pack of black, and I believe $9ish easy for a color pack, but I can't remember if the BCI. Nice price but still working out to be $2000ish/gal for black and $3000ish/gal for color.

Quote:
Then the question is, and perhaps I'll ask the legal expert above, since he seems to be the "expert" in everything, how was Epson able to *WIN* the currently settled lawsuit againt the makers of PrintRite ink from being imported into the US?
The acronym IMNAL means I'm not a laywer... and I believe I already said if you look again. Anyone seeking legal advice should seek qualified council. But what I sited has nothing to do with the Epson vs. Printrite. But if you want my opinion, I would sugest you look at PrintRite's chips. But needless to say this has nothing to do with the topic at hand with is Canon DVD writing. Should you be interested in discussing the finer points of Epson vs Printrite I sugest you start a thread on the subject, others may be most interested and would be more polite than hijacking this one which is dealing with Canons.

Old Jun 28, 2005, 8:21 PM   #716

zakezuke wrote:
Quote:
iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:

It is an opinion shared by many...(opinion vs fact in this case is splitting hairs and I won't bother for the sake of good form) including many who post here. But it's a fact that many 3rd party houses offer color correction utilities.

But what are the price of the bci3/6 inks at samsclub. I remember costco the price floated at about $10 ish each for a 4 pack of black, and I believe $9ish easy for a color pack, but I can't remember if the BCI. Nice price but still working out to be $2000ish/gal for black and $3000ish/gal for color.

Quote:
Then the question is, and perhaps I'll ask the legal expert above, since he seems to be the "expert" in everything, how was Epson able to *WIN* the currently settled lawsuit againt the makers of PrintRite ink from being imported into the US?
The acronym IMNAL means I'm not a laywer... and I believe I already said if you look again. Anyone seeking legal advice should seek qualified council. But what I sited has nothing to do with the Epson vs. Printrite. But if you want my opinion, I would sugest you look at PrintRite's chips. But needless to say this has nothing to do with the topic at hand with is Canon DVD writing. Should you be interested in discussing the finer points of Epson vs Printrite I sugest you start a thread on the subject, others may be most interested and would be more polite than hijacking this one which is dealing with Canons.
Blah.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 8:43 PM   #717

iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:
Blah.
Further more... if you look at the link you provided you'll notice the term *settlement*. A settlement isn't always a win. In many cases it would cost more to fight than it would to just settle (see RIAA vs Girlscouts of America). You should think of a law suit as nothing more than a dispute between two parties, one which tney can not resolve. You can also think of a settlement as a no-contest (nolo contendere - IIRC IMNAL) plea , but this isn't entirely accurate... it's best to think of it as a dispute resolved. Or better still... it is what it is a settlement. But again... as this is actually a (somewhat) interesting case worthy of it's own thread and discussion.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 9:10 PM   #718

zakezuke wrote:
Quote:
iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:
Blah.
Further more... if you look at the link you provided you'll notice the term *settlement*. A settlement isn't always a win. In many cases it would cost more to fight than it would to just settle (see RIAA vs Girlscouts of America). You should think of a law suit as nothing more than a dispute between two parties, one which tney can not resolve. You can also think of a settlement as a no-contest (nolo contendere - IIRC IMNAL) plea , but this isn't entirely accurate... it's best to think of it as a dispute resolved. Or better still... it is what it is a settlement. But again... as this is actually a (somewhat) interesting case worthy of it's own thread and discussion.
:roll:As far as public opinion goes, a settlement can also be viewed as a defeat by the defendants. As far as someone or a company, settling becuase they cannot afford the time it takes for ligation, then that can be viewed as a "loss" as well. "You loose becuase you can't afford to fight it, right or wrong". - just an opinion.

Old Jun 28, 2005, 10:03 PM   #719

Hi all!!! Thank you all sooooo much for all the advice/opinions. I just got my ip3000, brand new, sealed box- original ink/photo paper... and the person thru in a usb. Ready for this?? LOLOL

I got it all, including shipping- on ebay- for a grand total of $40.49 us!

I think I did pretty darn good! considering newegg was $64.00 + $3.90 tax + $2.50 shipping = $71.35 - $20.00 rebate for a grand total of $51.35 us- not including usb-- $1.99 for the 10' + $0.12 tax- + $4.99 shipping= $7.10 --- total combined would have been $58.45- thats after rebate. A savings of $17.96! :-)I am frugal- 100%! Every buck counts in this house! lol

And I guess I will be needing paper-- e-addy is: jersey at intergtae dot com.

Still haven't heard anything from my sister-in-law. Will try calling again tomorrow.

Also.... Any suggestions on printable media? Is white better than silver? What brands are best? And how about paper for dvd cover art? Any suggestions of where to buy with the best prices here in the us?

I'll have to root thru all the posts to find the 'right' info for creating a dvd tray until I acually get the canon one. Then I may need help with making the tray. guess now that I have my printer coming i'm impatient to start printing my dvds!

hey, anyone in need of the ip3000- I know someone who is selling brand new in the box retail- still sealed, with a 6' usb- $43.47 us includes shipping- an ebayer. anyone can e me at the above addy. Is there any forum here at steve's on dvd burning?? I have a few questions/problems but won't post them here since that would be way, way off topic. And I've already gotten everyone off-topic enough here!

I'll check back later!

Thanks you to all my new friends here at Steve's!

Kelley
Jersey_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 10:03 PM   #720

Hi all!!! Thank you all sooooo much for all the advice/opinions. I just got my ip3000, brand new, sealed box- original ink/photo paper... and the person thru in a usb. Ready for this?? LOLOL

I got it all, including shipping- on ebay- for a grand total of $40.49 us!

I think I did pretty darn good! considering newegg was $64.00 + $3.90 tax + $2.50 shipping = $71.35 - $20.00 rebate for a grand total of $51.35 us- not including usb-- $1.99 for the 10' + $0.12 tax- + $4.99 shipping= $7.10 --- total combined would have been $58.45- thats after rebate. A savings of $17.96! :-)I am frugal- 100%! Every buck counts in this house! lol

And I guess I will be needing paper-- e-addy is: jersey at intergtae dot com.

Still haven't heard anything from my sister-in-law. Will try calling again tomorrow.

Also.... Any suggestions on printable media? Is white better than silver? What brands are best? And how about paper for dvd cover art? Any suggestions of where to buy with the best prices here in the us?

I'll have to root thru all the posts to find the 'right' info for creating a dvd tray until I acually get the canon one. Then I may need help with making the tray. guess now that I have my printer coming i'm impatient to start printing my dvds!

hey, anyone in need of the ip3000- I know someone who is selling brand new in the box retail- still sealed, with a 6' usb- $43.47 us includes shipping- an ebayer. anyone can e me at the above addy. Is there any forum here at steve's on dvd burning?? I have a few questions/problems but won't post them here since that would be way, way off topic. And I've already gotten everyone off-topic enough here!

I'll check back later!

Thanks you to all my new friends here at Steve's!

Kelley
Jersey_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote