Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jun 28, 2005, 10:53 PM   #721

Jersey_Girl wrote:
Quote:
Hi all!!! Thank you all sooooo much for all the advice/opinions. I just got my ip3000, brand new, sealed box- original ink/photo paper... and the person thru in a usb. Ready for this?? LOLOL

I got it all, including shipping- on ebay- for a grand total of $40.49 us!

Also.... Any suggestions on printable media? Is white better than silver? What brands are best? And how about paper for dvd cover art? Any suggestions of where to buy with the best prices here in the us?
Cool beans.. nothing wrong with being froogle.com

If you have problems, keep in mind that some USB cables are only rated for a 1996 vintage port... speeds were slower then. I've not honestly heard of this being an issue.

If you have a Costco membership.. They have Kirlkland Photo Paper for I believe under $20.00 for 125pages. This is pretty good stuff and really cheap 69lbs made by an unnammed swiss company.

Costco carries the TDKs... they are not full face but the white is nice and the cost was sub $20 for 50 IIRC. I set my intensity at there and abouts of +7 to +12 on these, where Fuji I noticed requires +15. I'm not sure if I actaully like the TDK DVD-R... I actually got a few bad burns from these... but the TDK DVD+R i've NOT had a problem with. Also the -R will work just dandy in one DVD recorder, but not the other, both the same brand make model and rom version. No clue why. Others have reported great success with the TDKs. I buy them in a pinch otherwise I mailorder.

I have not tried the silvers on the IP3000 yet.. I used them once on the r200 and the result was neat... I mean almost holographic. In the end it's up to you... simple text on a white background does look cheapish to some, where on the silvers they look like many a factory produced disc. Full color can be a very close match to the original. Not perfect, but hey.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 11:33 PM   #722

Opps! Sorry about the dbl post.

Zake.... I thought I was the only one left who said 'cool beans'! lol

Don't have a costco membership yet- can't remember if my friend has costco or bj's- but she said for 10.00 (I think it was 10) she can add me to her membership... May have been 20.00 but I'm pretty sure she said 10. I just haven't gotten around to taking her up on the offer... Maybe I'll give her a jingle tomorrow.

Are there any dual layer printables out there?? Anyone know? I only need them when I'm coping my special/deluxe editions- otherwise I need 4 disks.

Can I start another Topic/Forum in here to talk about things like this? Disks and such related issues- or is there already one I'm not yet aware of?

So far I've only used Staples brand dvd +r's - not printable but they work like a dream on my sony burner. Will have to check around. I'll report back any good deals or other q's.

Well, I guess it's g'nite for me. :sleep:

I'll talk to ya'll on the morrow. Thanks for all the help. You guys are awesome. :-)

Nite all!

Kelley
Jersey_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2005, 11:57 PM   #723

Jersey_Girl wrote:
Quote:

Are there any dual layer printables out there?? Anyone know? I only need them when I'm coping my special/deluxe editions- otherwise I need 4 disks.

Can I start another Topic/Forum in here to talk about things like this? Disks and such related issues- or is there already one I'm not yet aware of?
I'm a tradtionalist, cool beans and spiffy... bop bop she bop she bop

A seperate thread might be cool for discussing media for the inkjets.... good subject... lots of people are interested, esp starting up a list of color settings for each disk that work well.

I forgot to say... I was talking about dvd printables, I don't know if your bag is CD or DVD, I naturally assumed DVD. CD is so 20th century.

Dual layer... I have absolutly no clue about dual layer printables. I mean I can cheat and look them up and see Verbatium 2.4x DL and RiData 2.4x DL make them, and they are 6.50 each (riData has a $25 mail in rebate)... and wow, they've gone down in price. Seems only last week they were 10 bucks a pop at a local store, well they probally still are. For the time being... to back up your special collections it might be wiser to invest in either quad jewels and use something like hammermill sticky inkjet paper on them... or buy quad or oct long boxes.. or thin double boxes (1/2 spine here 1/2 spine there). But... the huge but... I've never even used DVD+R DL on any dvd player, and i've had less than great luck with the +R, and -R DL doesn't seem to exist. And, lol, the cost of the DL+R is so high that one might as well buy a 5 disc DVD changer and load her up.

Old Jun 29, 2005, 12:19 AM   #724

:roll: I have used on mine, both branded from Verbatim, the printable CD's (matte finish), and those ones that have that silver reflective surface - Verbatin brand too. I got a 50pk of the matte ones for $9.99.

Also, I found a web site of color profiles to use on Canon machines for many of the different papers out there. Just download them and use them. Cool stuff!

http://www.wandb.com/icc.htm

Also, PowerRIP for Canon inkjets:

http://www.iproofsystems.com/downloa...2000_canon.htm

iSAPS Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 1:29 AM   #725

Well, I just wanted to thank all who contributed to this group, as I finally got my homemade tray to work tonight/this morning. I followed digiguy's template and it finally worked. I was still having trouble until I stopped trying to force the dvd in the printer. My first print was a little off center, but I'm sure I can play with the settings to fix that. I'll probably still try to get a real tray when the prices are more in the $20 - $25 range.

brentcollins wrote:
Quote:
brentcollins wrote:
Quote:
My first two attempts at making a tray have failed. The first was cardboard which the printer would grab and attempt to scan, but would push it back out and tell me no tray found. The 2nd was made from DVD case plastic, but never made it to the printer as I accidentally glued the two piece together in the wrong direction so the reflectors were swapped. 4 hours of work and still no printed DVDs. :-( Thanks to all for the posts here. Hopefully third time will be the charm.

I just re-read lots of this forum and think I was using the wrong template with the incorrect reflector locations. I'll take a look again tonight and report back.

See http://pixma.cjb.net/for 5 easy steps.
brentcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 1:32 AM   #726

iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:
:roll: I have used on mine, both branded from Verbatim, the printable CD's (matte finish), and those ones that have that silver reflective surface - Verbatin brand too. I got a 50pk of the matte ones for $9.99.

Also, I found a web site of color profiles to use on Canon machines for many of the different papers out there. Just download them and use them. Cool stuff!

http://www.wandb.com/icc.htm

Also, PowerRIP for Canon inkjets:

http://www.iproofsystems.com/downloa...2000_canon.htm

Color Profiles... might be useful - the site says s900/s9000 but hey. These are paper profiles, which is good esp those too lazy to hunt the web for them... (memo to self... yell at canon for not having a button to turn off the punchy mode "あăȘたぼæ˜*ćƒăŻäœ™ă‚Šă«æ˜Žă‚‹ă„! 盼はć‡șèĄ€ă—ăŠă„ă‚‹!"). Put that link in your keeper file.

soft rip by iproof... not useful unless you have a supported printer, and is 3x the cost the epson offering. this made the beared men angry... put that in your give to control freaks who are willing to buy older printer to get soft rip support pile

Old Jun 29, 2005, 1:59 AM   #727

iSAPS Guy wrote:
Quote:

Verbatim is actually a good choice, though a touch spendy in local stores. I keep thinking the OEM is "Taiyo Yuden" for some reason but i'm not sure how to spot "Taiyo Yuden" in a crowd. Unfortunatly my only Verbatims I have left are some 2x datalife, and the digital movie with the silk screen at 4x.. when I'm less lazy i'll id them.

Old Jun 29, 2005, 2:19 AM   #728

Ok all.... I started the new topic....

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...333732#p333732

did I do that right??
Oh well- I'm tired so my brain isn't working right at the moment.
Nite all!
Old Jun 29, 2005, 1:55 PM   #729

jonbgood -

what is the status of your shipment?
weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 7:22 PM   #730

iSAPS...

Where'd you find the Verbatim 50 pk for $9.99?? Are they full face? What speed- 8X? That's an awesome deal.

Thanks for any info!