Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 19, 2004, 11:43 AM   #71

It's really quite simple. You don't need pictures.

Back Bypass Method

1. Print one CD label (better if only test outline is allowed) on the top half of a full letter size paper.

2. Refeed the printed paper into the lower catridge.Do not use the upper sheet feed.(shortcut:refeed printed paper ONTOP of the lower catridge)

3. Reprint the CD label, with printer setttings at envelope for media type but still full letter size. (you may need to click ignore to ignore the can't do attitude)

4. Upon hearing the paper feeding, lift open the top lid and see the outline just 1 inch past the rollers.

5. Open the back lid and slide your printable disc through so it reaches through the carriage and covers the outline. You may need to use another disc to help push through.

6. Close back lid. Close top lid. Your printer will finish printing your disc. Done.

Front Bypass Method is even easier:

1. Print one CD label (better if only test outline is allowed) on the bottom half of a full letter size paper.

2. Refeed the printed paper into the lower catridge. Do not use the uppersheet feed.

3. Reprint the CD label, with printer setttings at envelope for media type but still full letter size. (you may need to click ignore to ignore the can't do attitude)

4. Upon hearing the paper feeding, lift open the top lid and see the paper already half way through with the CD outline just 1 inch past the rollers.

5. Slide your printable disc through the front underneath the rollers, right on top of your paper, push through underneath the white rollers till you get the disc aligned correctly over the outline. You may need to use another disc to help push through.

6. Close top lid and printer will finish printing your disc.
AlvinLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 4:11 PM   #72

I have used AlvinLee's method. Thanks.Now I don't have to buy any new parts to get it to print dvds.

I had trouble with my dvd sliding on my paper so it wasn't lined up anymore when the printer started printing the dvd. I have made a template out of poster board. I cut a circle out of it the same size as the dvd so it can't slide around. I glued a piece of paper on the back to protect the bottom of the dvd. I am using power point to make my labels. I too couldn't get Nero to do what I wanted quickly. I am putting my label at the bottom of the page and using the back access. When the template was in the front I had trouble lining it up from forward to back same as AlvinLee said.
yvonneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2004, 6:28 PM   #73

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Does the ink smear at all? I have read where some people spray their DVDs with a clear coat od polyurethane to keep them from smearing.
winifreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 3:57 PM   #74

I just downloaded a manual from the Canon Malaysia website "IP4000 CDR guide."

Has anyone been able to get a IP4000 shipped to the US to print a CD?
irdit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2004, 3:58 PM   #75

I've just downloaded a Canon manual from their Malaysiabsite "IP4000 CDR Guide."

Has anyone been able to get a US IP4000 to print a CDR?
irdit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 9:12 AM   #76

I have the IP3000 and there is a piece of plastic in front of the slot on the CD output door. Do I have to remove this before I can use AlvinLee's method? How do I remove it? I assume this is the slot that I would use to push the CD under the rollers once the pice of plastic is removed.
Thanks
Old Dec 22, 2004, 2:12 PM   #77

AlvinLee wrote:
Quote:
It's really quite simple. You don't need pictures.

Back Bypass Method

1. Print one CD label (better if only test outline is allowed) on the top half of a full letter size paper.

2. Refeed the printed paper into the lower catridge.Do not use the upper sheet feed.

4. Upon hearing the paper feeding, lift open the top lid and see the outline just 1 inch past the rollers.

5. Open the back lid and slide your printable disc through so it reaches through the carriage and covers the outline. You may need to use another disc to help push through.

6. Close back lid. Close top lid. Your printer will finish printing your disc. Done.

Front Bypass Method is even easier:

1. Print one CD label (better if only test outline is allowed) on the bottom half of a full letter size paper.

2. Refeed the printed paper into the lower catridge. Do not use the uppersheet feed.

4. Upon hearing the paper feeding, lift open the top lid and see the paper already half way through with the CD outline just 1 inch past the rollers.

5. Slide your printable disc through the front underneath the rollers, right on top of your paper, push through underneath the white rollers till you get the disc aligned correctly over the outline. You may need to use another disc to help push through.

6. Close top lid and printer will finish printing your disc.

I also decided to stop being a lazy butt and try the method, and it works .

Here's a tip if it hasn't been covered already. Once you lift the cover, ALSO open the inner cover, then you will notice the entire print area shifts up, align theCD and close the inner cover and resume printing. Hope that helps. I used IP5000 USA version here.
Azzkikr1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 2:36 PM   #78

Isn't that inner cover where the CD is supposed to come out? If not, what is it for?
Old Dec 22, 2004, 3:23 PM   #79

winifreid wrote:
Quote:
Isn't that inner cover where the CD is supposed to come out? If not, what is it for?

The inner cover is for non-usa versions for CD to come out. You cannot print anything if the inner cover is downfor USA version. It must always remain closed.
Azzkikr1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 5:43 PM   #80

I've been following this thread with much interest, I haven't got a printer yet but have been considering the Canon ip4000 or ip5000, but very much want to be able to print on cds and dvds. I know the Epson r200 is still an option. Since I dont have one of the Canons in front of me I really don't know how much of an hassle it will be to use Alvinlee's instructions to print on media. Should I:

A. Go ahead and get one of the Canons?
B. Wait to see if someone can come up with an affordable import?
C. Say the heck with it and just get an Epson R200 already set up to print on cds?
mccoady is offline   Reply With Quote