Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 7, 2005, 8:09 AM   #791

Hi all,
Just want to share some info on printable media I just came across.
I have been using DVD-R's with a white-matte finish and getting excellent results.
I recently bought some Verbatim Silver Ink-Jet Printable CD-R's (Sam's Club $22.86 per 100) that have a shiny, metallic-like finish and are advertised as Photo Quality. I was a bit skeptical until I did a test-print at the highest0quality setting on my IP4000. I was absolutely astounded at the near-perfect, production-quality print that emerged. If it were not for the "Verbatim" text printed on the hub, I would swear my test-print came directly from Microsoft! I will attach a couple of photos but the pictures do not do this thing justice!

Attached Images

legalsmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 8:10 AM   #792

Also, here is a pic of the type CD-R's I'm using:

Attached Images

Old Jul 7, 2005, 8:22 AM   #793

Also, I still have Trays & Inserts available, please email me at canon_tray@charter.net to order yours, as soon as the orders from the Forum taper off, I will be listing a few on eBay but, as you know the prices will probably increase dramatically.
In addition, if you are going to require shipping outside the US, please contact me at the above address so we can work out any off-sets that may be necessary to cover any additional shipping charges. If additional shipping is only slightly more for your International location, I'll cover it. But I'll need to check first.
Thanks all,
Blake

Note: If you are viewing this post for the first time, please see my initial post at the top of page 40 for all the specifics on ordering CD/DVD Trays & Inserts for your printers.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 9:14 AM   #794

so, is there a need of the base unit, the one with the small wheels? does it fuction better as a cd/dvd printer with it?
mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 9:34 AM   #795

Hi Mantis,
From everything I have seen, and my personal experience, My IP4000 works perfectly with only the Tray. The printer will tell you when the heads are aligned and ready to print and will ask you to insert the tray. It will then pull it inside the printer, make a few adjustments, print your Disc and eject it when it is finished.
I see no need for additional parts at all.
Regards,
Blake
Old Jul 7, 2005, 12:03 PM   #796

legalsmate thx for the information. I just sent you an email.
mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 12:31 PM   #797

mantis wrote:
Quote:
so, is there a need of the base unit, the one with the small wheels? does it fuction better as a cd/dvd printer with it?
I seem to be the only one who says otherwise on the ip3000. It could be I'm using an epson tray rather than canon's flat one, but I have to manualy insert the tray before it prints. it's a minor annoyance at best.

On the mp760 though the epson tray works perfectly without rollers. I do not understand.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 4:08 PM   #798

mantis wrote:
Quote:
As of yet I don't think anyone can confirm that the base unit has "small wheels" or rollers on it. I think it's just a cover like the blocking piece we removed from the pixmas. Only difference is the base unit is not as tall allowing the tray to be inserted. In essenceit's just a trim piece.

BTW, I finally got a tray off ebay .

I just line up the arrows and the printer pulls it right in. So the base unit has nothing to do with it. Am I right?

As proud as I was of my template and cardboard tray I must say the cardboard will never work as well as the real thing although mine came pretty close - LOL. I'll certainly keep it to remind me of this thread and for a back-up too!

For the record I'd like to have a base unit to cover those holes. Will anybody be selling these separately?

digiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 4:30 PM   #799
IPA

zakezuke wrote:
Quote:
I seem to be the only one who says otherwise on the ip3000. It could be I'm using an epson tray rather than canon's flat one, but I have to manualy insert the tray before it prints. it's a minor annoyance at best.
I have a modified epson tray with an IP3000, and it works perfectly. I think the trick is to bevel the front edge enough that the rollers can grab it without slipping. I push it in until it touches the rollers, then press continue, and it pulls it in, prints it, and ejects it when it's done.

I attached a hi-def scanned image of my modified epson tray in my last post, in case you want to look at it. It must be too large to be seen in-line, but the link is there. Let's see...$7 for an epson tray (w/mini cd instert, btw) and 1/2 hour with a dremmel tool, OR ~$50 for a canon tray with the same results...I've very happy with my epson tray. :-)

I also trimmed the bottom of the plastic insert over the slot and re-attached it, so it looks like it came that way from the factory. I'm also thinking of attaching some small spring-loaded wheels to the edges, even though they're not necessary...

IPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 4:33 PM   #800

digiguy wrote:
Quote:
As of yet I don't think anyone can confirm that the base unit has "small wheels" or rollers on it. I think it's just a cover like the blocking piece we removed from the pixmas. Only difference is the base unit is not as tall allowing the tray to be inserted. In essenceit's just a trim piece.

BTW, I finally got a tray off ebay .

I just line up the arrows and the printer pulls it right in. So the base unit has nothing to do with it. Am I right?

From the photos I saw, it had wheels, and I suspect it's job is to push the tray downward so the tray gets pushed on the lower rollers. But aside from that useful feature it seems one can get away without it.
zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote