Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 16, 2005, 6:12 PM   #881

You can't blame him. Seeing how stand-alone trays go for around $40, even $80 would be justified in perspective seeing as how you get the insert and rollers. And, since he doesn't say anything about instructions or drivers, the only people that know how to use this tray are probably on this forum. Not that i would ever pay even $30 for this package, if the demand is there, you can't complain. I compliment him for at least starting it low.
cmp1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2005, 8:00 PM   #882

I didn't want to make my own tray, I knew the only other option was on Ebay. I got one, forgot the seller. but he had them as "buy now" for 30 + shipping. I think I paid 40 total. I was more then happy to shell out the bucks for a real Canon tray. works beautifully!

quebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2005, 2:58 AM   #883

My complaint is that he originally wrote that he wanted to sell them to members of the forum for $30 and then he failed to do that.* ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** *If that was his intention he could have done the same thing that Blake did and offered them here before he started auctioning them off on eBay.* ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** **The fact that he didn't keep his word bothered me, not that he wants to make a buck.* ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** *cmp1223 wrote:
Quote:
You can't blame him. Seeing how stand-alone trays go for around $40, even $80 would be justified in perspective seeing as how you get the insert and rollers. And, since he doesn't say anything about instructions or drivers, the only people that know how to use this tray are probably on this forum. Not that i would ever pay even $30 for this package, if the demand is there, you can't complain. I compliment him for at least starting it low.
GeneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:08 AM   #884

On this similar note: Thanks to all that have ordered a set from me. Looks like I will finally be able to begin shipping around mid-week...Man!, these Europeans seem to not get in a hurry for anything!
If everyone here that wanted a set has one, and that appears to be the case, I am going to begin listing on eBay.
If you missed your chance, email me and mention your Forum ID and I'll still sell at the agreed-upon price (for those new here, see page 40; top post).
I'll keep everyone updated as events progress.
Regards,
Blake

ps Gene, I'm still checking on the door (though mine works perfectly with just the tray) Thanks all
legalsmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:32 AM   #885

The issue is, that when I first asked who was interested, only 10 people responded that they would want to buy a set of parts for $30, which was what I had figured it would cost me to get them. So I never intended to make a profit on this. The "Dutch" auction format was especially chosen to keep the price down. Even if there were a couple of high bidders, everyone would still pay the same price as the lowest winner. If I wanted to make money on this, I should have offered them one at a time.

Now it turns out that instead of 10 there are at least 20 people who bid $30 or more, and 10 of them even want to pay more than $45. If I had known this 6 weeks ago when I placed the order, I would have tried to order 20 or more sets, and offered them all at once, so everyone would still be paying $30.

For those who missed out this time, I will get more, but it will take a while, so please be patient. If you want them right now, pay whatever you're willing to spend, but don't blame me.

As other sellers such as Blake will agree, it's not that easy to get the original Canon parts, or even just the tray. If it was, there would be plenty for everyone, and the price would come down. I had to find a distributer in Europe who wanted to sell these "spare parts" to a non-dealer in quantity, and a friend in the same country who was willing to order, pay in advance, and ship them to me without making any profit on the transaction.
jonbgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 1:27 AM   #886

Jongood -

After you saw the tray alone going for a high as $50 on ebay before you set up your auction, how did you not see this coming? You and I even had a discussion right in this thread about it. I warned you. Due to the anonimity of the internet, I knew the anger was going to be directed at you. That and the fact that you said you would sell them for $30.

We are not doubting your effort or even your attempt to find a fair way to provide them but when you went to ebay, we all saw how this was going to end. Then to all of our amazement , you set the auction for 7 days allowing every tom, dick and harry in on the bidding process,. Ebay was never the fair way to get these into the hands of the people on this thread and never will be.

10 people have already bid over $45. Not surprising. There are people on this very thread that paid $225 plus shipping for a printer from europe. I got my Ip5000 for FAR.

The problem is not that you did not earn the right to make money on these, it is that you stated you were doing it for the people. But you ended up only doing it for the money. You even upped the shipping cost to cover some of your ebay fees.

Hell even legalsmate, the greedy bastard , found a better way than ebay. You don't see anyone bitching at him about his prices. He stated a fair but profitable price early, stuck to it, made them available to the users here first and he is a local hero. While your auction is the goat.

Don't take it personal, I just call it like I see it...
weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 1:45 AM   #887

Hey guys,
Come on...Jonbgood is correct when he mentions how very difficult thease are to get. I may have missed later posts but the one from Jon I remember is he stated he would offer them on eBay as dutch auction. I knew the price would climb simply from the demand these are getting. Look at it from his perspective, he has ten sets and has quite a few people wanting a set. He dosen't want to pi$$-off half the Forum by selling to some and not to others. So he lists them as a Dutch on eBay.
Gentlemen (and Ladies), if the price is too high, simply don't bid...but don't chastise Jon for trying to be fair....if he was in this for profit alone, he would have put them on eBay one at a time, like he mentioned.
JonBgood, I, for one think you did the only fair thing with a limited supply.
And guys, please don't use the way I offered my trays as ammunition against anyone else. I did that just as I stated, to say Thank-you to everyone that worked so hard to make this thing happen, not to make ANYONE look tainted.
I feel the guys that went to the tremendous efforts required to get these things in the first place have the right to use them any way they care to.

Okay, sorry for the rant...
Blake
legalsmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 2:54 AM   #888

Has anyone tried using 2 layers of 1mm plasticard? I've only seen lots of cardboard stuff so far. You can get plasticard in any hobby store for like $5. Is there any reason 2 layers, some reflective tape, and a few minutes with an exacto and some styrene cement wouldn't work perfectly?
mostholycerebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 6:54 AM   #889

mostholycerebus wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone tried using 2 layers of 1mm plasticard? I've only seen lots of cardboard stuff so far. You can get plasticard in any hobby store for like $5. Is there any reason 2 layers, some reflective tape, and a few minutes with an exacto and some styrene cement wouldn't work perfectly?
It's nice to see someone still on topic in this thread! It's sickening to watch the others fight over who'll make the most profit on a 2 oz. piece of plastic.

mostholycerebus, it sounds likeit would work and would be much more durable than cardboard.If you make one please post it here.
digiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 7:39 AM   #890

legalsmate, the approach you're taking with your ebay auction doesn't look good. Are you really amate to what's legal?

It's one thing to sell these things low profile yet quite another to boldly plaster it all over the screen like some late night infomercial. I don't think it's legal to sell instructions on how to hack something. I'm not for sure but ebay has policies on what's prohibited and restricted. You and jonbgood (sells instructions too) may want to look at these pages:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...-activity.html

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/encouraging.html

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/importation.html

The greed of you bas*ards (as weapon puts it)willultimately put a stop to anyone getting a tray and all will be forced to make their own out of cardboard. Now, how is that contributing to the topic of this thread? Fact is you're all out to make big money and you know it.
digiguy is offline   Reply With Quote