Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Dec 22, 2004, 6:13 PM   #81

I've printer about 20 CD/DVD so far and have one question. I see lots of dots and no matter what profile I try, it stays there. I think it has to do with the input source as "envelope" because I tried it with glossy and the cd printed better but the print head was too low. I'm going to stop printing until this problem can be solved.
Azzkikr1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 9:11 PM   #82

Azzkikr1337, what kind of media are you using? Have you had good redults with this media with another printer?

mccoady, I believe you mean the Epson R200. I have had several Epsons and they all ended up in the trash because of the well problem of print head clogging. I assume the R200 uses the same print head as the C82 (or similair) and is suceptible to the same problem. It is easier to print CDs with it though.
winifreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2004, 10:35 PM   #83

Yes you're right I meant Epson R200. I need to hear some more results using Alvinlee's method ( before I buy anything) because I plan on using the Canon for strictly printing on cds and dvds and I would prefer the Canon over the Epson. It's too bad someone can't figure out a way to get the trays and set up the American Canons to print on media, please keep trying we all could benefit.
mccoady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 1:48 AM   #84

Hi everyone, after printing over 30 CD/DVD, I've decided to sotp further printing. I'll list it in a short bit

Pros:

The bypass method works if you have some patience.

The pictures look ok.

Cons:

It can be tedious. Alignments will be a little off if you're not careful.

You can only use "Envelope" as Media Type input if you don't want the print head scratching against the CD when itswings back and forth.

The envelope media type printed is VERY grainy (I used photoshop CS for this). However, if I switchd to matte of glossy, the grains go away, but for some reason, I see huge chunks of black areas. I had to dismantle the side of the printer so I can lift the print head manuallywhile it's printing in glossy mode. That is not recommended

Summing all above, you can waste many CDs trying.

There it is folks. Whoever is considering doing the bypass method, I can't stop you from trying it, but I recommend that you still buy a canon capabe CD-printer. The process is much easier and you can get much better printout (this is my conjecture). I don't know about Epson, but their ink consumption is a bit too high and theirprice perink cartridge isa bit high. I've considered the Continuous ink system, but I will leave that till later. For now, I'm going to continue designing the cd labels and await my canon capable CD-printer.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 6:52 AM   #85

The reason I asked about your media is that I print photots on envelopes using the envelope setting and they look great. So I wonder if it is not the type of media you are using. Or ink.
winifreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2004, 12:16 PM   #86

I was using the prodisc inkjet printable ones. I also used Canon Genuine ink.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 1:47 PM   #87

Good to see that you tried Azzkkr1337. Dots on your cd disc? I don't see any on mine. Is it black dots on white area or missing dots on colored area? At printer preference the default for print quality goes to standard when you click envelope. I clicked on high instead.

I just tried transparent media and thatalso smudged so we can rule that out. So far only envelope media works. Anybody know a thicker setting than envelope?

Alignment is much easier if the template outline is circular instead of a square. If you get a square outline, simple trace a circular one with your disc and a pen. All alignment issues usually go away once you have a circular outline to easily see how you disc matches up and you aim well so that there isn't much movement to the paper once you slide in the disc. Or Yvonneb actually made a square poster paper tray to match up. You should not be having any out of alignment prints once you understand what you are doing. By the way, after 30 prints, have you noticed most of your off alignments are front/back? If so, then you are inadvertantly shifting your paper as you slide your disc around.

The lifting of that inner tray isn't necessary and would make it more difficult if the CD label is printed off to one side of the paper instead of middle centered since the tray is middle centered. Plus you would slide your disc on top of the inner tray which would scratch it. I prefer to just slide it on the template paper which will protect the underside of the disc.

AlvinLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 4:51 AM   #88

Quote:
I had to dismantle the side of the printer so I can lift the print head manuallywhile it's printing in glossy mode. That is not recommended
How on earth do you dismantle the side of the printer and lift the print head? First there are no screws on the side panel, you have to figure how to pop it out but there are probably a few tricks involved which I have not figured out, since I do not want to damage the housing plastic tabs. Second, the print head rides on a rod that is geared into the carriage. You can try to rotate the bar but that is controlled so whatever you do by hand, the printer firmware/software will overide it. To lift the whole carriage make no sense, since that is just one side.

In any event the bypass method works easy for those who need to print discs on occasion. For those who need to print a lot of DVD's, your using the CD bin got me thinking. There is a way to easily print a lot of DVD's. I'll go through a few test runs and if it works, I'll post it.

Maybe your spotsdepends on which printable discs you use. They say to try different brands. Perhaps prodisc doesn't work well with Canon. I am using Ritek.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:28 AM   #89

AlvinLee please keep experimenting with printing on cds and dvds and I hope others who own the Canons will also. I need to make a decision shortly whether to buy a US Canon IP4000 or import one, so what you can find out helps me immensely. I will be only be using the Canon to print on media and photos and I don't really want an Epson. Please keep trying!
mccoady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2004, 12:05 PM   #90

Well, put together Azzkikr1337's using the inner tray and Yvonneb's paperboard cutout and you have a working solution.

I've started to make a test, but for anyone wishing to try sooner here is how it works:

Let's call it the Inner bypass.

A. Make your own tray out of paperboard of same thickness as your disc. 13.1mm X 19mm. The 13.1mm width is a perfect fit for the inner tray so that it is snug and will not misalign.

B. Print a CD Label on letter size / or A4paper but position the CD label to be centrally aligned with the center of the inner tray. This will be near middle of the paper but more towards your left as you face the printer, since the inner tray is not exactly middle center of the width of a letter size paper.

C. Lower your inner tray (marked Canon) and remove the blocking bar. Pull and bend a little as the tabs need to slide out. Flat head screwdriver or anything flat to insert and push the sides of the blocking bar may be of help.

D. Raise back your inner tray. Refeed your printed label from your lower cartridge and reprint you label but with your printer media setting at "envelope". As the paper starts to feed, raise the top lid and see the paper feed to the point where it is ready to print your label. Lower the inner tray, slide your DIY paperstockCD tray through the inner tray, push underneath the white rollers all the way until you've aligned the front end of your paper tray with the end of the inner tray. That means the paper tray has just about dissappeared past the inner tray. Remember how you are aligning this because this is the way you will always be doing it for accurate alignment.

E. Raise inner tray. Close top lid.Printing will start and your printer will be printing a label on your paper tray. After it's finished, cut out the circle that has been printed on your paper tray. You now have your very own DIY inner bypass tray!

From now on printing you DVD's should be even easier.

1. Print your CD labels properly aligned as before so that it is aligned where your inner tray is. Remember always have your media setting at "envelope", but at letter size. You may need to click ignore.

2. Lift open the top lid as you hear the paper feed. Place your printable disc in your DIY paper tray. Lower the inner tray and slide your DIY paper tray with disc in it all the way through until it is past the inner tray (same position as when you were making your template). Raise inner tray and close top lid. Printing will continue.

You now have a DIY paper tray you can use to almost blindly feed into your Canon printer without having to eyeball align anymore.

A tip for those who don't want to waste good printable discs. Try with a wasted regular disc. It will print and you can just wipe it off with tissue paper and try again.