Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 18, 2005, 8:11 AM   #891

digiguy wrote:
Quote:
legalsmate, the approach you're taking with your ebay auction doesn't look good. Are you really amate to what's legal?

It's one thing to sell these things low profile yet quite another to boldly plaster it all over the screen like some late night infomercial. I don't think it's legal to sell instructions on how to hack something. I'm not for sure but ebay has policies on what's prohibited and restricted...
Quote:
The greed of you bas*ards (as weapon puts it)willultimately put a stop to anyone getting a tray and all will be forced to make their own out of cardboard. Now, how is that contributing to the topic of this thread? Fact is you're all out to make big money and you know it.
You're partly correct...

I'm fairly sure of the following. Anyone who knows better, please correct me:

Printing CD's and DVD's is not illegal. "Hacking" a printer to do so is no more illegal than jury-rigging one to print directly on a t-shirt. (Can we work on that one next? :-))

As I have learned from this thread, selling the printer in the US equipped for CD and DVD printing would have required royalty payments Canon was not willing to make. So they didn't. That being the case, the last part of your post (not the greedy bas*ards part) may be true. It may be ill-advised to explicitly trumpet the purpose of the particular items offered in this case. If it becomes obvious that many are making an"end run"around the restriction of US printers,Canon may have to make reasonable efforts to stop it, if only to save face. That could result in hightening difficulty in obtaining the OEM parts.

My 2¢.
CalebAndCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 8:36 AM   #892

legalsmate, have you sent any of the traysthis past weekend? And when are you gonna send them? Can you please update? I am anxious to get one.

Update: sorry, I haven't seen the post above with the update of the order.

mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:03 AM   #893

CalebAndCo wrote:
Quote:
Printing CD's and DVD's is not illegal. "Hacking" a printer to do so is no more illegal than jury-rigging one to print directly on a t-shirt.
Hacking a printer may or may not be illegal. My point is that it is illegal to sell how-to-hack-it instructionson ebay!

Currently there are 3 sellers on there offering instructions. If they get caught it could open a can of worms that could ruin the chance of anyone else getting a tray in the future.

Weshould not turn this thing into a big commercial enterprise. And from the looks of one instruction CD it's getting pretty commercial with the Canon branding and Coates & Associates copyrights and all.
digiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:30 AM   #894

digiguy wrote:
Quote:
Hacking a printer may or may not be illegal. My point is that it is illegal to sell how-to-hack-it instructionson ebay!
Ebay says, in the three rules you posted, that certain behaviors are prohibited because they are illegal. Ebay doesn't make them illegal, they limit their own liability by upholding existing laws. If hacking the printers is illegal then posting such instructions is prohibited.

digiguy wrote:
Quote:
Currently there are 3 sellers on there offering instructions. If they get caught it could open a can of worms that could ruin the chance of anyone else getting a tray in the future.
On this, the main point (I think) of your post, I agree 100% and I thank you for making it!
CalebAndCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:47 AM   #895

THANKS TO THOSE THAT MADE THESE CANON PARTS AVAILABLE.....

The ones that are bitching about the price and the way there being offered. Your free toorder you one from europeand then see how cheap you can get one butyou rather let someone else do all the work than wine about the price........
paiger651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 12:37 PM   #896

paiger651 wrote:
Quote:
THANKS TO THOSE THAT MADE THESE CANON PARTS AVAILABLE.....

The ones that are bitching about the price and the way there being offered. Your free to┬*order you one from europe┬*and then see how cheap you can get one but┬*you rather let someone else do all the work than wine about the price........┬*
Thanks paiger! It's ironic to see that those people who complain the most are the ones who joined this forum last, without really contributing anything, and are just taking advantage of the hard work of those who did all the research to find the manuals, software, and parts.

As far as hacking is concerned, I don't think there's anything illegal about changing the destination setting of your printer. You're simply following the procedure as described in the official Canon manual. I'm not selling the service manual, I just tell buyers where to find the instructions on the internet.

If expansys-usa sells the European version of the printers here, I don't see any problem with selling spare parts for them, as long as these are the official Canon parts purchased from an official Canon distributer.
jonbgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 1:09 PM   #897

As I said before my complaint in general is directed at the people who mislead by expressing that they will do┬*something and then end up doing something entirely different and toward their apologists. ┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*┬* ┬*Reminds me of our politicians[img]/forums/images/emoticons/wave1.gif[/img]
GeneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 1:27 PM   #898

jonbgood wrote:
Quote:
It's ironic to see that those people who complain the most are the ones who joined this forum last, without really contributing anything, and are just taking advantage of the hard work of those who did all the research to find the manuals, software, and parts.
Dude, you became a member of the forum on Sun Jun 5th, 2005. That was eight days after me and by my own admission I was way late coming in on the process. By that time, all of the hard work was done. Even the foreign supplier website links were listed by that time.

The only work you did was having a friend overseas order the parts for you and ship it to you. So don't hurt your hand patting yourself on the back.

Anyway that is besides the point. The problem is not the dollar amount, it is the principals of the situtation. You stated a set price, reneged when you saw the dollar signs and left many in the forum holding the bag. You got caught in a lie and were called out for it.

Does it really matter to you that much? In the end you got what you wanted: $.

BTW - I hope legalmate saw my sarcasm when I called him a greedy bastard. That was a joke.
weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 1:57 PM   #899

CalebAndCo wrote:
Quote:
Ebay says, in the three rules you posted, that certain behaviors are prohibited because they are illegal. Ebay doesn't make them illegal, they limit their own liability by upholding existing laws. If hacking the printers is illegal then posting such instructions is prohibited.

On this, the main point (I think) of your post, I agree 100% and I thank you for making it!
I have to agree, i'm a bigger fan of linking to the instructions rather than offering them. Selling a tray is selling a piece of plastic, but selling the tray with the instructions welcomes a lawsuit from Philips agenst Canon for violation of copyrights. This is assuming the whole print on a disc thing is held up by Philips.

But near as i'm aware, while the instructions make reference to the service manuals, none of the instructions directly violate copyright. The absolute worst canon could do to users who mod their printers is void their warranty but I doubt they them selves care about users enabling a feature they disabled to save a few bucks as this serves to sell more printers. Phillips might care.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 9:01 PM   #900

jonbgood wrote:
Quote:
Now it turns out that instead of 10 there are at least 20 people who bid $30 or more, and 10 of them even want to pay more than $45. If I had known this 6 weeks ago when I placed the order, I would have tried to order 20 or more sets, and offered them all at once, so everyone would still be paying $30.

For those who missed out this time, I will get more, but it will take a while, so please be patient. If you want them right now, pay whatever you're willing to spend, but don't blame me.

in a near future,will you be able to sell othertrays setto members of this forum?

the inner cover with rollers seems very hard to get !!never seen some available .

hope hope...will see after your overseas trip

sattch is offline   Reply With Quote