Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 18, 2005, 10:57 PM   #901

sattch wrote:
Quote:
in a near future,will you┬* be able to sell other┬*trays sets┬*to members of this forum┬*┬*?┬*
the inner cover with rollers seems very hard to get!!┬*never seen some available.
hope hope...will see after your overseas trip
I'm trying to reduce the overhead costs by picking them up in person, so I can offer them at a lower price.

Since it looks like I'm the only one who was able to find a distributor who carries the base unit with the rollers, I will try to order some extra ones and sell them separately. The cost will of course be significantly less that that of the whole set, but I won't be able to predict an exact price at this time for obvious reasons.

By the way, there's an eBay seller called "matrix_reloaded_fan" who's offering a bunch of trays + mini CD insert, instruction booklet, and software CD, altogether for $25, $2 shipping, promising delivery in 4 weeks. The pictures look familiar, because they were copied from my listing, but I have nothing to do with this. It doesn't look like it's Blake either, because he's in South Carolina, and this one is from Texas. I'm a bit suspicious about people running advance auctions, collecting the money several weeks before they actually have the goods, but if this is for real, it's a good deal.
jonbgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2005, 11:57 PM   #902

jonbgood wrote:
Quote:
By the way, there's an eBay seller called "matrix_reloaded_fan" who's offering a bunch of trays + mini CD insert, instruction booklet, and software CD, altogether for $25, $2 shipping, promising delivery in 4 weeks.
That seller said they will be here in 4 weeks. Where does itsaythey arepromising delivery in 4 weeks? It's funny how people read things that aren't there.

I'd be very cautious of an auction like this, it smells like a scam to me.
digiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 1:17 AM   #903

This post is a SERVICE for the members of this OPEN FORUM.

ahem.
excuse me.
I tried to offer trays here on this board, but rec'd an email from "Steve" that this board isn't the place of selling.

In fact my post was deleted... citing rules of the board TOS etc

I will be willing to sell ANY MEMBER OF THIS forum a tray for $35.00 - cost will include shipping- continential USA, add 2 bux for canada. Multiple purchases not a problem, contact me for details. (most economic rate possible)

QTY AVAILABLE= 10

Yes, flat rate.
paypal me at vuong_p13579@yahoo.com AFTERWARDS SEND ME A PM has on this forum to me. (I need track the shipments of trays)

Look up seller veeman25
check out my past sold items.
--
as for original contributor.. well I did contribute, I don't take complete credit, but lookup my postings on this thread.

--
I am tired of this bickering... I don't want anyone to feel cheated.
--

TVUONGPHAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 3:20 PM   #904

Hey guys Im new here and I dont really feel like reading through 40+ pages, but I have a canon ip4000. Have you guys come up with a way to make the cd printing work? maybe it was mentioned in an earlier post but can someone just give a "yes its working" or "no were still working on it"

Also is it safe to use those cheap ink jet refill kits with this printer or should i stick to the genuine canon stuff?

Thanks
dipsett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 3:37 PM   #905

Yes, printing works on CDs DVDs etc
-
use of a tray is PREFERED, makes it WAY easier.
-

Old Jul 19, 2005, 4:17 PM   #906

"Way" easier is definitely an opinion. I have very little problems printing on the tray I have made out of shoe-box cardboard. It cost me approximately nothing and took half an hour to read the instructions, print the outline, cut the cardboard, modify the printer (firmware), and print. To spend $30, $50, $80?! on a tray for a printer that probably cost you less than $200 just seems overkill to me, unless of course you are printing MASSIVE amounts of discs but can't warrant a dedicated disc printer.
CPingN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 4:51 PM   #907

dipsett wrote:
Quote:
Hey guys Im new here and I dont really feel like reading through 40+ pages, but I have a canon ip4000. Have you guys come up with a way to make the cd printing work? maybe it was mentioned in an earlier post but can someone just give a "yes its working" or "no were still working on it"

Also is it safe to use those cheap ink jet refill kits with this printer or should i stick to the genuine canon stuff?
Since the start of the 40 page thread three websites have popped up

http://pixma.cjb.net/ - 5 easy steps. This one does a better job of isolating the most important info and presenting it in a simple way. Use this to get the skiny.

http://pixma-faq.cjb.net/ - big arse one I did this mainly to index the thread, it's rather sloppy but gots the info. This one is good to get part numbers and trivial bits of info you'd otherwise have spend hours searching 40+pages. Use this if you need more info and are trouble shooting.

http://pixma.theupgradeguy.biz (under construction) Use this if you enjoy seeing the words under construction.

-----

Regarding ink.. there are some good options out there, even if you do risk clogging the head, a $60 to $80 cost, the savings is almost always justified. There is another thread I was more long winded on the subject. I woulnd't use a "cheap" sub $1.00/oz kit, these tend to be universal ink and are not always a good match. I would consider a $2.50/oz ink kit. These are often matched to the printer in terms of color, viscosity, and tend to be more lightfast. Tons of options, could spend more depending on what you want in ink. To put in contrast the canon OEM inks are about $24/oz.

If you are interested in the subject... be cool to start a new thread as this one is very full. There is the other forum titled "nk Jet - Inks, Papers, etc." that has some useful info. http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=57
and http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=12 is a good place to get info on the diffrent options on the market.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 6:27 PM   #908

CPingN wrote:
Quote:
"Way" easier is definitely an opinion. .."

OF COURSE IT IS AN OPTION AND AN OPINION.
I didn't have the time to make my own tray. But to each his own.
My IP4000 cost me 30 AR (After Rebates) so.. even add the cost of the tray I am still ahead.
;-)

Old Jul 19, 2005, 7:26 PM   #909

Well I'm not trying to knock anyone for getting a tray. They're definitely going to be nice to have. But the messages in the forum are still flying by and I just have to wonder if half the people here even realize how easy it is to make the trays. My experience is that most people who weren't "rich enough" to do something like order a printer from out of country are generally not rich enough to pay for these overpriced pieces of plastic... but probably want to print on a damn CD so badly they're willing to pay anyway. I just want everyone to know that if you have a few basic crafts (thin cardboard, a razor, aluminum foil, tape) you can make one is less time than it takes to read through this thread.

I'm just glad too see so many people baking this up. I wasn't sure I wanted to keep my Canon if this wasn't possible.. now it's the best investment I've made since I build my computer. Woo!!

Wish I knew of a reliable primer type spray that was safe for discs so I could print on the stack of DVD's I already have!

TVUONGPHAM wrote:
Quote:
CPingN wrote:
Quote:
"Way" easier is definitely an opinion. .."

OF COURSE IT IS AN OPTION AND AN OPINION.
I didn't have the time to make my own tray. But to each his own.
My IP4000 cost me 30 AR (After Rebates) so.. even add the cost of the tray I am still ahead.
;-)

Old Jul 19, 2005, 7:30 PM   #910

digiguy wrote:
Quote:
mostholycerebus wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone tried using 2 layers of 1mm plasticard? I've only seen lots of cardboard stuff so far. You can get plasticard in any hobby store for like $5. Is there any reason 2 layers, some reflective tape, and a few minutes with an exacto and some styrene cement wouldn't work perfectly?
It's nice to see someone still on topic in this thread! It's sickening to watch the others fight over who'll make the most profit on a 2 oz. piece of plastic.

mostholycerebus, it sounds likeit would work and would be much more durable than cardboard.If you make one please post it here.
I made one the day after the instructions for modifying the MP780 came out and posted a pic of it with a printer disc in it. Just search for my posts, I don't have that many. It was SUPER easy to make with that template. I haven't even bothered to glue it, I just used a few strips of double sided tape and some packing tape. The cardboard came from a box of Nunn Bush shoes or something of the like. plasticard would be a killer idea, but really the only problem I have with mine is that the lack of rollerwheels means you might have to hit the OK button occasionally to get it to pull the tray in. usually you can just push down a tad bit with your fingernails or even push it lightly and it will do the rest anyway.