Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 24, 2005, 6:23 PM   #941

Nevermind was replying to last email post I got. :?
CanonFodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 12:49 AM   #942

GeneL wrote:
Quote:
OK, I received my CD tray and "tray kit" but now I'm faced with a dilemma.Â* I presumed that the "tray kit with the rollers" would be a piece that would simply snap in place of the center piece that had blocked where the tray is inserted. Instead it is a whole front piece with the Canon logo on it and it replaces the "flap" that is still in place. That's my problem. I don't know how to remove it and replace it with the new part. I need help! Has anyone done this and if so, how? BTW I have an ip8500. TIA for your suggestions
Just remove the center piece with the rolers from the "flap" you received and push it gently into the opening of your existing "flap" after removing the blocking piece. The easiest way to make it snap in place is to partly insert the tray into the slot, this will help push the spring loaded rollers up into the correct position.

I don't recommend replacing the entire inner cover since this requires some major dissasembly of the printer, and is not necessary, since the base unit or "flap" you received is identical to the one in the US model printer, except for the center piece with the rollers.
jonbgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 1:06 AM   #943

GeneL wrote:
Quote:
PLEASE HELP!
When it was snapped into place I found that the rollers wouldn't raise to allow the insertion of the tray but since they had moved before I feel they will probably be raised in the CD printing process.
GeneL
You need to remove the center piece and reinsert it with the tray in place. Your rollers are currently caught below the bottom of the opening and cannot move up far enough to insert the tray. Simply follow the instructions I included with the parts:

To install the new part with the rollers:

• Open the inner cover to the horizontal position
• Partly insert the CD tray. This helps pushing the spring loaded rollers into the right place
• Gently push the insert into the opening. It should snap right in.

If your printer currently does not support CD printing, change the destination setting to "Not Japan CD-R support letter paper" as described in http://users.cjb.net/pixma-faq/4.html
Old Jul 25, 2005, 4:26 PM   #944

Wow, good news the 32 trays came today. alot faster than I expected. Go to www.Canoncdtray.com to purchase, shipping is included. I ship Priority.
Chousden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 5:28 PM   #945

Still having problems

I followed Jon's instructions so the CD tray can now be inserted properly but I have been through the "destination change" procedure over and over without success.

I don't know if I am doing something wrong or if a different routine is required for the ip8500.

In the first step the instructions say to wait while holding down RESUME and POWER. When I do this nothing happens so I finally let go and follow the rest of the instructions (am I waiting for some sort of indication?).

At this point I have gotten a "simple diagnstic" printout but as I said before, the ip8500 (LTR) and the CDR SENSOR=OK are kind of lipstick purplish color that I guess could be called red but it isn't a pure red.

For the sake of seeing what would happen next I went through the rest of the routine but after clicking the RESUME button 5 times I didn't get an Orange light in the POWER button indicator (I assume that is what I was looking for?).

I went ahead as if it was in the proper mode and after the five clicks on RESUME and then the POWER I pressed RESUME and POWER again and it produced a printout but it was all black text.

Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Is it posible to find the service manual for the ip8500 to see if the procedure is any diferent.

As you can imagine I'm really frustrated now that i have the tray and can't get the rest of the setup working.

Thanks for your thoughts,

GeneL
GeneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 6:55 PM   #946

GeneL wrote:
Quote:
Still having problems

In the first step the instructions say to wait while holding down RESUME and POWER. When I do this nothing happens so I finally let go and follow the rest of the instructions (am I waiting for some sort of indication?).

At this point I have gotten a "simple diagnstic" printout but as I said before, the ip8500 (LTR) and the CDR SENSOR=OK are kind of lipstick purplish color that I guess could be called red but it isn't a pure red.

I went ahead as if it was in the proper mode and after the five clicks on RESUME and then the POWER I pressed RESUME and POWER again and it produced a printout but it was all black text.
You don't have to wait while holding both buttons, but wait after releasing both buttons until the power LED stops blinking. When the printer is in service mode, after both buttons have neen released, each time you press RESUME the LED should alternate between green and orange.

Since iP8500 (LTR) prints in pink, your printer has the proper destination setting for CD-R printing enabled.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 7:17 PM   #947

jonbgood wrote:

"Since iP8500 (LTR) prints in pink, your printer has the proper destination setting for CD-R printing enabled."

OK, let's say I do have the proper destination enabled.

How do I double check this since I haven't been able to successfully print out either a full diagnostic page or a CD-R test print?

Also, what about the software?

When I click on Print I don't see any selection under "Quality and Media" for Disk Print?

I downloaded "ip8500osx302en.dmg" and "CD-LabelPrint-1.OSX.V100_E.dmg" but I'm not sure if these are what I need and how to use them.

Do I have to remove anything if my setup seems to already be "configured" (and I'm not sure that it is?) for CD-R Printing?

Thanks for your thoughts,

GeneL
Old Jul 25, 2005, 7:26 PM   #948

GeneL wrote:
Quote:
jonbgood wrote:

"Since iP8500 (LTR) prints in pink, your printer has the proper destination setting for CD-R printing enabled."

OK, let's say I do have the proper destination enabled.

How do I double check this since I haven't been able to successfully print out either a full diagnostic page or a CD-R test print?

Also, what about the software?

When I click on Print I don't see any selection under "Quality and Media" for Disk Print?

I downloaded "ip8500osx302en.dmg" and "CD-LabelPrint-1.OSX.V100_E.dmg" but I'm not sure if these are what I need and how to use them.

Do I have to remove anything if my setup seems to already be "configured" (and I'm not sure that it is?) for CD-R Printing?

TVUONGPHAM is a mac user who was kind enough to send me a screen shot.
http://users.cjb.net/pixma-faq/5.html
If you successfully set your destination... even without installing the CDR print software you should get an option for print to paper size "CD-R Tray B". Media type should be something like "printable disc"

Near as i'm aware you don't need to set anything on the PC side of things as mac os-x doesn't have a registry like windows does... it takes the que from the printer what it can print to rather than looking for it when you install the driver and remembering it. This should make your life easier.

The cd-labelprint is canon's application print on discs. It's limited but does the job till you find something better. Should be enough to print "test" onto a disc and see if she's working.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2005, 7:36 PM   #949

I'm using a G5 Powermac/ OS 10.4.2 and no, I don't see a "printable disk" media type option when I get to the "Media & Quality" menu.

I really feel lostÂ*:-?
Old Jul 25, 2005, 8:47 PM   #950

GeneL wrote:
Quote:
I'm using a G5 Powermac/ OS 10.4.2 and no, I don't see a "printable disk" media type option when I get to the "Media & Quality" menu.

I really feel lostÂ*:-?
First install the latest driver you downloaded. Double-click on ip8500osx302en.dmg and when it mounts double-click on the installer package. Follow the instructions and reboot when done.

Do you see "CD-R Tray B" as one of the paper size options in Page Setup after you select "ip8500" under "Format for"? If not, check Library/Preferences/Canon/BJPrinter/DeviceInfo/IP8500.plist. It should contain the following entry:
<dict>
<key>CDRInfo</key>
<integer>1</integer>
</dict>
If the key is 0 change it to 1 and reboot.

After Selecting "CD-R Tray B", you should select "Disc tray" next to "Printable disc" in the print menu under Quality & Media, and also "Disc tray" next to "Paper Source".